IGNORED

Game Debate #32: Ikaruga

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll (jeevan's favorites)

Decent shooter. Revenge bullets are annoying as hell, and the combo based scoring system is a pain. The polarity based puzzle gimmick is pretty fun though.

As much as I do enjoy playing it, it's kind of crazy how famous (some may say overrated) it's become specifically in "non-shooter fan" circles. Better Ikaruga than some euroshmup though, and I'll admit I'm definitely looking forward to Ubusuna if that ever does come out. If I had to choose, I'd prefer Radiant Silvergun to this, too.

Edited by Sumez

It's a fun game for me.  I enjoy the polarity gimmick.  I've been playing it for years on a gdemu in my Dreamcast, but recently bought the Switch version.  I'm not great at it by any means, but I still enjoy it.  With that said, I enjoyed Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn a little more.  I just liked the idea of having so many different weapon types mapped to each button.  

I'll be the first to admit I don't really like shmups and I suck tremendously at them but I like the idea of them. I just get too frustrated with them. Ikaruga was one of the best ones I've played though, and one of the hardest. But I could tell it's quality, but the genre as a whole is not really for me. So 7/10.

10 for me, love everything about it, style, music, etc. You can focus on chains when you're comfortable or just stay alive if it's hard. It feels super rhythmic to play, which is the best aspect to me.

I think it's popular specifically because it's so gimmicky and it's easy for a noob to ignore everything else but staying alive and still get into the rhythmic flow of the game. If you're a noob who can't keep up with Dodonpachi or whatever, you're just spray and praying and adding credits without really "getting it". I get why people wouldn't like Ikaruga though for exactly the same reason, because all the gimmicky polarity management makes it less of a straight shooting game.

It's a cool game with an interesting gimmick, but ultimately the gimmick kind of overshadows and shows how lack luster the rest of the gameplay is.  I like it, especially the GameCube version with the tight analogue stick control.  To me Dodonpachi was the height of the genre, though.

• Like 2

I really like it but find scoring combo chains incredibly hard. I like the polarity aspect more for defense than for offensive if that makes any sense. I find focusing on score somewhat annoying as when you're just trying to stay alive you know you're missing tons of points... Kind of frustrating for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An interesting aspect to the game that I've read about, but never tried is the fact that you can play through most of the game (I think all of it, but not sure) without shooting anything.  It can be used as a high score strategy because you score points for absorbing bullets that you are immune to.  Like I said, I haven't tried it, but my understanding is that all boss battles will eventually flee after enough time has passed.