IGNORED

Healthy eating

Kguillemette

It's time for me to face it. I'm in my 30s. My body started telling me this about 3 or 4 months ago when it started getting a little harder getting out of bed. Gotta eat healthy. Im not trying to lose weight, just eat better. I'm eating this salad for lunch. Roastisserie chicken, greens, carrot, tomato, cheddar, almonds, craisins, egg, and honey mustard dressing. Lots of good protein and veggies and the creamy dressing makes it enjoyable. I eat one of these 3 or 4 times a week. Best of all, all this stuff is bought pre made at the grocery store, so there isn't a lot of work involved to eat it. I'm a busy guy, and i dont have much time to deal with things like meal prep.

I know I'm not the only one dealing with my 30s, what's everyone else doing to eat healthier?

15722042790032023994154652361214.jpg

• Like 1

I have multigrain bread with peanut butter and banana for breakfast, yogurt with granola as a snack, then a salad for lunch.  Afternoon I have a light snack (pretzels etc). Dinner I am trying to do less carryout.  We have dinner out or something bad for carryout twice a week. It's helped me lose about 10 pounds. 

I had pizza and chicken tenders last night and am really feeling it.  Sluggish, tired, and puffy eyes.  Sodium gets to me.

Was vegetarian for years and it was horrible, who ever says you feel better and more energize is trying to justify it. 

I do eat healthy still and stay with mean low fat meats. 

Also eating healthy and not doing some exercise it’s kinda stupid especially as we age, with that being said I work out 4-5 times a week. 

• Like 1

I too am in my 30s but getting up has always been an issue for me. 😛
I don't eat fast food from those big names anymore for years since my body told me not to plus their hygiene, from what I saw, is questionable. 
Either way, I do drink alot of water, some coke as well (1-2 glasses), coffee in the morning and afternoon and tea as well. I can't say I'm 100% healthy but I do try not to eat too much unhealthy things at all. Mix of everything imo. Keeping my weight the same is not a problem though. 🙂

Gym three days on one day off - always start by running 3 miles in 24 min and then lifting of some kind. 45-60 minutes total

breakfast - honey nut Cheerios with banana, ice/hot coffee

lunch - belvita, RXbar or kind bar or paleo bar, whichever I don’t have becomes a snack later. Some days I’ll have the same thing that I had for lunch between 2-3 for extra gym energy

Gym after work before dinner 5-6 days a week

dinner - spaghetti/sauce or yogurt/turkey cheese on wrap/apple or my wife makes a few things which are all pretty healthy ie Pizza or grilled chicken over salad  

this is 4 days a week and the weekend I usually eat out Saturday whatever try to stay healthier but eh Cheesecake Factory/uncle Julio’s/Italian/BBQ Sunday I’ll probably eat out as well but not as heavy something quick  

edit: I got out for lunch sometimes on Friday as well, healthy or unhealthy I’ve earned it by then lol

edit 2: maybe not always lifting after running sometimes I take it back to the basics - I’m always doing sit ups at 45 degrees, pull ups, planks for 1 minute with 15 push ups during a 45 second rest or I can do some off this stuff with lifting it’s important to keep your body guessing

edit 3: the absolute golden rule for me is never eating out twice in one day. I went from 225 to 170-180 in about 8 months of this routine and have maintained the same weight for over two years

Edited by a3quit4s

I have never gone to the gym. Exercising for its own sake is a big turnoff to me. But I stay active other ways.

As for food. I don’t like soda, so that’s an easy one for me. I avoid fast food; only get it a few times a year. I check ingredients and avoid versions that contain sugar. It’s in a lot of places you wouldn’t expect, and really unnecessary. I also limit how much meat I eat, and have been considering portion sizes in general— Now it’s one egg, or one sandwich, or one egg sandwich at a time, instead of two.

All that did me ok, but this year I wasn’t really liking how I looked. I decided to start weighing myself regularly, and found I was gaining weight. So I made these changes. 

#1 substitutions in stuff I ate often: Egg whites instead of eggs. Whole grains instead of pasta. Barley and oat groats are my favorite so far. 

#2 cut out stupid snacking. It’s ok to eat for fun when you’re not actually hungry... once in a while. Not every day. 

Lost 30+ pounds and looking better. 

I started breaking up my morning routine with rounds of pushup. My Grandpa did the same and it keep him fit until the end.

Also, I cut out pop, fast food, sugary snacks, and limit my alcohol intake. This may sound weird, but I don’t eat anything after 6pm and I no longer wake up with that groggy feeling. 

1 hour ago, Link said:

I have never gone to the gym. Exercising for its own sake is a big turnoff to me. But I stay active other ways.

As for food. I don’t like soda, so that’s an easy one for me. I avoid fast food; only get it a few times a year. I check ingredients and avoid versions that contain sugar. It’s in a lot of places you wouldn’t expect, and really unnecessary. I also limit how much meat I eat, and have been considering portion sizes in general— Now it’s one egg, or one sandwich, or one egg sandwich at a time, instead of two.

All that did me ok, but this year I wasn’t really liking how I looked. I decided to start weighing myself regularly, and found I was gaining weight. So I made these changes. 

#1 substitutions in stuff I ate often: Egg whites instead of eggs. Whole grains instead of pasta. Barley and oat groats are my favorite so far. 

#2 cut out stupid snacking. It’s ok to eat for fun when you’re not actually hungry... once in a while. Not every day. 

Lost 30+ pounds and looking better. 

Soda is a no go for me as well and if I do Coke Zero or diet coke

My knees aren't up for running, I don't have the ability for child care to go to the gym, so I mostly rely on a job that keeps me fit ATM(I move on average 5 to 6 miles per day according to my step counter). I would like to do some sort of aerobic exercise on an elliptical or a bike machine at some point. Maybe in a few years when my kids get older and my oldest is responsible enough to be a sitter.

25 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

My knees aren't up for running, I don't have the ability for child care to go to the gym, so I mostly rely on a job that keeps me fit ATM(I move on average 5 to 6 miles per day according to my step counter). I would like to do some sort of aerobic exercise on an elliptical or a bike machine at some point. Maybe in a few years when my kids get older and my oldest is responsible enough to be a sitter.

My gym has a daycare in it you can bring your kids as young as 3 months old. It’s an extra like $15 a month. 

Not all cardio has to be running either, take up hiking and bring the kids with you! If you have the money you could get a Pelaton for your house?

Due to a past medical event a bit over a year ago I had to make some drastic diet changes such as cutting down on red meat consumption, lower sodium, higher fiber, minimal sugars (soda, candy, sweets in general) eat more chicken, fish, salads, drink a lot more water, stay the hell away from energy drinks and had to give up the alcohol.  I don't workout or shit like that but do try to stay physically active by taking walks or doing physical things that are not over strenuous though I will push myself a bit more as my body seems able.  

Avoiding soda is a must.  (though I let the kids pick out a "special drink" -- usually Cheerwine or cream soda -- for weekend lunch)

Our big thing was getting into a much better habit of cooking at home.  My wife and I both enjoy cooking, and have a pretty good range and spice palate, fortunately.

(and having 2 kids massively suppresses the desire to be lazy and dine out, since keeping up with kids in a restaurant setting is more effort than just cooking at home in the first place)

Right now our big vice is having developed a bit of a craft beer habit, but as we both roll towards 40 years old, we're cutting that back to just a couple nights per week on the weekends.  (kind of an expensive habit anyway, aside from the health concerns of even one beer per night, on average, making a woman a "heavy drinker" by CDC standards)

21 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Avoiding soda is a must.  (though I let the kids pick out a "special drink" -- usually Cheerwine or cream soda -- for weekend lunch)

Our big thing was getting into a much better habit of cooking at home.  My wife and I both enjoy cooking, and have a pretty good range and spice palate, fortunately.

(and having 2 kids massively suppresses the desire to be lazy and dine out, since keeping up with kids in a restaurant setting is more effort than just cooking at home in the first place)

Right now our big vice is having developed a bit of a craft beer habit, but as we both roll towards 40 years old, we're cutting that back to just a couple nights per week on the weekends.  (kind of an expensive habit anyway, aside from the health concerns of even one beer per night, on average, making a woman a "heavy drinker" by CDC standards)

I'm pushing 40 myself and rarely eat at home due to being out and about more often than not so I just try to make healthier menu choices like the grilled chicken and mixed vegetables I had at a diner last night. I had to cut down on the beer too. In my mid/late 20s I could live on beer and chicken wings and not put on a pound, but once I got to my mid 30s it started catching up with me so I had to start cutting back on the sports bar food.

• 4 weeks later...

Plain oatmeal, add in raisins, dates and pecans. And sometimes just a little bit of real maple syrup. This is sometimes a snack or breakfast for me, depending on when I feel like eating it.

All meals such as rice, pasta or even pizza I throw in a lot of veggies such as peas and carrots, sometimes corn and asparagus.

Sandwiches containing spinach and tomatoes with chicken or fish fillet, no mayo, not anymore.

Sometimes eat a banana or frozen fruit, a variety of stuff, particular to mango and blueberries. But limit my fruit because it messes me up, think I have a hard time with the sugars in fruit.

I never add salt or spices to anything. Though will say I tend to use a lot of butter for rice or toast, but it's not that often.

And all I've ever drank for much of my adult life is water, just that nearly 100% of the time. Anything else such as juice or whatever doesn't even add up to a whole percent given it's water pretty much every day all day long, except perhaps a few times out of a year.

Given what I have to work with I think I eat pretty okay. Oh, there's the occasional Hungry-man or tuna salad but always add more veggies to it. I don't eat out, haven't in years, never drank alcohol ever, nor coffee.

I recently tried plain yogurt to see if maybe that would be good for me and if I could handle the taste, I think I can get used to it if my digestive system is okay with it, given I add in some fruit or nuts.

Not much junk food anymore. Used to be addicted to the cake, donuts and cookies and pastry, stuff like that, but gives me too much acid reflux now that it's not worth it.

Yet still I have high cholesterol. Sort of a new occurrence for me just this year, never had an issue in all my years before. But thyroid levels were higher too so that could be causing the higher cholesterol not so much the food choices.

I should keep a log of what I eat each day, tried it before in the past but would end up forgetting sometimes to get record.

Your diet seems very well maintained, the high cholesterol could just be bad genetics. 

edit: Do you have an exercise routine? Any gym time? Eating healthy is only one part of maintaining yourself. Should be getting at least 2.5 hours or sweaty activity a week

Edited by a3quit4s

Healthy is relative. Portion sizes matter just as much as what you actually eat. 

A salad does you no good if you drown it in dressing. 

Just because it's diet doesn't mean it's better for you. Diet sodas have chemicals in them that regular doesn't. 

I eat whatever I want in moderation. 

People are so hypocritical. They'll tell me how unhealthy I am for eating Chipotle, and then I'll see them drink 6 jugs of coffee throughout the day or 3 redbulls. 

If you really want to eat healthy, look at sugars, chemicals, alcohol, and fats to start, and minimize those intakes. Then cut back on snacking. Eat smaller quantities. Exercise. And for the love of humanity don't judge people. We all have our guilty pleasures. Why does what I eat effect you?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Makar said:

Healthy is relative. Portion sizes matter just as much as what you actually eat. 

Just because it's diet doesn't mean it's better for you. Diet sodas have chemicals in them that regular doesn't. 

People are so hypocritical. They'll tell me how unhealthy I am for eating Chipotle, and then I'll see them drink 6 jugs of coffee throughout the day or 3 redbulls. 

If you really want to eat healthy, look at sugars, chemicals, alcohol, and fats to start, and minimize those intakes. Then cut back on snacking. Eat smaller quantities. Exercise. And for the love of humanity don't judge people. We all have our guilty pleasures. Why does what I eat effect you?

This is what people need to hear!

5 hours ago, Makar said:

Unhealthy for eating chipotle? Meat rice and beans? I’d hate to see what their idea of healthy is lol

my go to is carne asada brown rice and black beans in a bowl with cheese and lettuce I think it’s around 800ish calories and packs a good amount of protein. Definitely after gym food though no way I’m trying to eat that and run lol 

6 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Your diet seems very well maintained, the high cholesterol could just be bad genetics. 

edit: Do you have an exercise routine? Any gym time? Eating healthy is only one part of maintaining yourself. Should be getting at least 2.5 hours or sweaty activity a week

Sometimes I can do exercise, other times I can't, depends on if my body can handle it that day or not, but always after even just a little bit I get so tired that I can hardly stay awake, then sometimes next day feel sickly, but there is that thyroid issue so that's most likely why I can't ever feel consistently good, mostly not much.

A couple years ago I was able to do up to 500 squats a day, 50 at a time, and then repeat the very next day, but since then, health has been on the decline and energy levels even more inconsistent and couple that with too much depression and I only rarely exercise now. I can still do it, but my stamina isn't so good anymore.