IGNORED

Healthy eating

Kguillemette

On 10/27/2019 at 4:38 PM, m308gunner said:

Just hit my 40s (weep for me). No time to work out, and plenty of incentive at work to eat garbage (stress eating is a big thing there). Some weeks I'll eat well (whole natural foods with VERY little processed anything). Other weeks... like eating out of a dumpster.

I'm in a similar boat, but I do try to eat healthy when I can.  I also drink a lot of water.  Recently I've cut back on bread a lot, and that's really seemed to help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Unhealthy for eating chipotle? Meat rice and beans? I’d hate to see what their idea of healthy is lol

my go to is carne asada brown rice and black beans in a bowl with cheese and lettuce I think it’s around 800ish calories and packs a good amount of protein. Definitely after gym food though no way I’m trying to eat that and run lol 

I wish I was joking. They said Chipotle was unhealthy because of all the calories, fat, carbs, and lack of vitamins. The dude who said this eats out at McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's 2-3 times every week. I think he's just a Chipotle hater lol

• Like 1

Not the healthiest but mom came home with pizza, so that's what we are having. It was on sale at grocery store, pizza called Wild Mike's Ultimate Pizza (nothing extraordinary, it's just pizza), uncured pepperoni no artificial ingredients. I had to break it in half along the edge of the counter because it wouldn't fit in the toaster oven. Heck I don't care so long as it taste good (it does) and doesn't give me too much digestive issues then I'm good with whatever. But I always try to add a lot of veggies, my way of trying to balance out garbage food with good food.

1680676617_2019-11-24pizzaandveggies.thumb.JPG.90f01be8ec2a36f831c1035d18386cfb.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 5:11 AM, Makar said:

Healthy is relative. Portion sizes matter just as much as what you actually eat. 

A salad does you no good if you drown it in dressing. 

Just because it's diet doesn't mean it's better for you. Diet sodas have chemicals in them that regular doesn't. 

I eat whatever I want in moderation. 

People are so hypocritical. They'll tell me how unhealthy I am for eating Chipotle, and then I'll see them drink 6 jugs of coffee throughout the day or 3 redbulls. 

If you really want to eat healthy, look at sugars, chemicals, alcohol, and fats to start, and minimize those intakes. Then cut back on snacking. Eat smaller quantities. Exercise. And for the love of humanity don't judge people. We all have our guilty pleasures. Why does what I eat effect you?

What's wrong with coffee? Black coffee and tea are both good for you.

Lunch during the week is always a write-off for me, as I generally eat with a friend colleague of mine. Generally we eat local food, so fried rice, noodles, etc.

For dinner tonight I had broccoli, bamboo, tofu skins, fish, some random greens, and purple rice. Dinner of champions.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 4:20 PM, a3quit4s said:

Gym three days on one day off - always start by running 3 miles in 24 min and then lifting of some kind. 45-60 minutes total

breakfast - honey nut Cheerios with banana, ice/hot coffee

lunch - belvita, RXbar or kind bar or paleo bar, whichever I don’t have becomes a snack later. Some days I’ll have the same thing that I had for lunch between 2-3 for extra gym energy

Gym after work before dinner 5-6 days a week

dinner - spaghetti/sauce or yogurt/turkey cheese on wrap/apple or my wife makes a few things which are all pretty healthy ie Pizza or grilled chicken over salad  

this is 4 days a week and the weekend I usually eat out Saturday whatever try to stay healthier but eh Cheesecake Factory/uncle Julio’s/Italian/BBQ Sunday I’ll probably eat out as well but not as heavy something quick  

edit: I got out for lunch sometimes on Friday as well, healthy or unhealthy I’ve earned it by then lol

edit 2: maybe not always lifting after running sometimes I take it back to the basics - I’m always doing sit ups at 45 degrees, pull ups, planks for 1 minute with 15 push ups during a 45 second rest or I can do some off this stuff with lifting it’s important to keep your body guessing

edit 3: the absolute golden rule for me is never eating out twice in one day. I went from 225 to 170-180 in about 8 months of this routine and have maintained the same weight for over two years

My God cereal with Bananas is amazing. I have been doing a fiber cereal with Fresh rasberries lately.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:43 PM, Kguillemette said:

I only ever drink water. When I want some flavor in my beverage, I'll spice it up by drinking a nice flavored seltzer.

15722054094707734802382469547588.jpg

Seltzer has been a real savior. I use to drink soda like no body's business. But started getting what Im guessing were caffeine withdrawal headaches if I wasn't drinking it all the time. Seltzer was crucial in weening myself off soda. 

25 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

We Changed our DIet about 5-6 years ago and It made a huge difference in overall feeling.

Soda is one of my bad habits though, I love it.  I try to stick to 1 every 3-4 days.  

If your interested in trying something. Get some clear American seltzer at Wal-mart. Im partial to Black Cherry myself. This brand seems to have the strongest flavor so you don't get much of that Carbon taste from not flavored seltzer. It helped me stop with soda

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

What's wrong with coffee? Black coffee and tea are both good for you.

Mostly the caffeine but other stuff too.

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/10-reasons-to-quit-coffee-plus-healthy-alternatives

And if you're getting coffee at Starbucks with all the extra stuff like the syrup, sugar, whipped cream, etc, then you're consuming a lot of sugar. A lot of their drinks have over 30 grams of sugar. A 12oz can of coke has 39 grams of sugar to give you a reference.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/sugar-in-starbucks-drinks-765057

I'm not saying anything is wrong with coffee. I don't care what people consume. But don't tell me soda is bad for you but your vente caramel latte is okay.

2 hours ago, Makar said:

Mostly the caffeine but other stuff too.

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/10-reasons-to-quit-coffee-plus-healthy-alternatives

And if you're getting coffee at Starbucks with all the extra stuff like the syrup, sugar, whipped cream, etc, then you're consuming a lot of sugar. A lot of their drinks have over 30 grams of sugar. A 12oz can of coke has 39 grams of sugar to give you a reference.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/sugar-in-starbucks-drinks-765057

I'm not saying anything is wrong with coffee. I don't care what people consume. But don't tell me soda is bad for you but your vente caramel latte is okay.

Oh I agree that latte is bad for you, or sugar with coffee, etc. I'd do a quick Google search and link a few articles that show the benefits of coffee, mentioning it's antioxidant properties, etc, but I'm soon off to work.

Black coffee itself though has health benefits for sure, though I will admit it can stain ones teeth.

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Oh I agree that latte is bad for you, or sugar with coffee, etc. I'd do a quick Google search and link a few articles that show the benefits of coffee, mentioning it's antioxidant properties, etc, but I'm soon off to work.

Black coffee itself though has health benefits for sure, though I will admit it can stain ones teeth.

I saw those articles. I have also seen the debate about whether it's healthy or not and all the effects it has. It is possible to have some healthy properties but also have some downsides (caffeine). Not saying it's one or the other, just saying there's stuff in coffee that isn't "good" for you (caffeine). And most times when people drink coffee it's not just coffee. It's all the additives too so it gets confusing when people say coffee is or isn't healthy. What kind of coffee is that person talking about? The mocabocafrocashoka or the decaf bland nothing extra coffee

On 10/27/2019 at 4:04 PM, Bear85 said:

Was vegetarian for years and it was horrible, who ever says you feel better and more energize is trying to justify it. 

I do eat healthy still and stay with mean low fat meats. 

Also eating healthy and not doing some exercise it’s kinda stupid especially as we age, with that being said I work out 4-5 times a week. 

THANK YOU!

You don’t know how many times I’ve heard some new vegetarian/vegan (usually vegan) make that claim only to find out the have some sort of deficiency down the road. Usually the improvement in feeling is from not eating like complete shit, not from militantly denying animal products and making up for it with a bunch of processed substitutes.

You make really good point on the exercise. I experienced this firsthand a couple of times throughout my life. Bottom line, gotta get some exercise. Especially cardio. I can’t stand regular gym style exercise, so I skate bowls. But really anything physical that will get your heart going for a good half hour to an hour multiple times a week will make a huge difference. That discipline of getting myself off my butt and out doing something also seems to carry over into the rest of my life. I am so much more focused and get so much more work done on days where I stick to exercising.

• Like 1

I have a strange diet, but since I quit competitive sports in college, I've gone from eating basically anything and everything to just eating one medium-sized lunch a day, mostly because I refuse to eat when I'm not hungry and I don't want to end up like most of my obese family. I take vitamin D and fish oil pills. I cut out soda a few years back and switched to mostly water, milk, and an occasional orange or grape juice. No alcohol, but I miss the real sugar Dr. Pepper. I still eat what I want, just significantly less of it. It works for me, but it's certainly not a diet for everyone. 

I try to shoot some hoops every other day when it's warm, but I mostly don't exercise anymore. I'll use the stairs whenever possible, but only going up. Going down isn't worth the pounding my knees take for the few calories I burn. 

I've been on this diet for almost a decade. I was 155-160 pounds in high school and now I'm holding steady at about 180-185, which is where I should be. 155 is close to underweight for my height, and 180-185 is healthy but getting closer to overweight, at least according to the hot garbage that is a BMI calculator. I feel much better at 180 than I did at 155.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Makar said:

I saw those articles. I have also seen the debate about whether it's healthy or not and all the effects it has. It is possible to have some healthy properties but also have some downsides (caffeine). Not saying it's one or the other, just saying there's stuff in coffee that isn't "good" for you (caffeine). And most times when people drink coffee it's not just coffee. It's all the additives too so it gets confusing when people say coffee is or isn't healthy. What kind of coffee is that person talking about? The mocabocafrocashoka or the decaf bland nothing extra coffee

Coffee is only enjoyable as coffee if it is black. Otherwise you might as well be drinking a milkshake. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

Coffee is only enjoyable as coffee if it is black. Otherwise you might as well be drinking a milkshake. 

I just add milk to my coffee. Black upsets my stomach. Winds up being 4 oz milk after 2 coffees. Hardly anything I feel I need to scale back on. 

Also, I pretty sure clear American is sucralose sweetened water, not seltzer. I would double check the label.

I cut down on my carbs in May and it made a huge difference to me.  Prior to that I followed the low calorie diet and that never worked well long term.  I try and get a 30min run every morning during the week as well.    I am down to high school weight and I am about to be 43 this Friday.  I have never felt better and I eat what I want as long as I watch the carbs.

I had my physical in October and the doc was really happy with all my numbers.