IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Ghosts 'n Goblins

BeaIank

Just tried the fire trick on the gravestones, and yeah, the magician comes up instantly, but I am so ineffectual with my flame tossing (with zombies sprouting up everywhere) that I just resorted to lances and daggers to trigger.  I will practice more today and see what kind of scores I can get!

1 hour ago, Sumer said:

Just tried the fire trick on the gravestones, and yeah, the magician comes up instantly, but I am so ineffectual with my flame tossing (with zombies sprouting up everywhere) that I just resorted to lances and daggers to trigger.  I will practice more today and see what kind of scores I can get!

I'm surprised that my score has stayed in second place since Monday. I'm guessing that it will be like last week and I'll get knocked down a few spots over the weekend.

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumer said:

By all means, if you're more comfortable with the dagger, you can use it to farm the 1st level and use it for most of the game to be honest.

Bea is a torch player and will recommend it every time she can, but it doesn't mean the dagger isn't a G&G good weapon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sumer said:

So I had the same issue. If you go from using dagger to fire, its a big adjustment. I almost gave up on it, but came back to it. The daggers you can fire infinitely at will, so if thats what you are used to, the torch can be disastrous because you can only throw so many in a short time period. The button stops working when you hit the limit. 

You have to be conscious of that limit and the fact that it only takes one flame to trigger the magician (instead of like 20 daggers shot fast). So its just about placing it. Use your reserve flames only to clear enemies that pop up during execution. If your first flame doesnt trigger the magician, you are in thr wrong spot. Aim to the very back of the grave just enough to catch it without clearing it. Its hard to kill the magician in time and not get hit by guys that pop up still. Thats why I went back to daggers after a couple lives. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't think it's all that different than the holy water in Castlevania. I guess that's why it doesn't really bother me.

The holy water in Castlevania is actually useful in that it's overpowered against most bosses, and you can throw it more rapidly. But that is an interesting comparison.

As a beginner the torch is a serious disadvantage, as said beginner will lack knowledge of enemy patterns and correct timing as well as flick of the wrist improvisations when caught in an unexpected jam as well as most if not all useful secrets available.  I would say, for someone who's never beaten the game, the knife is your life.

The torch is a great way for anyone who's more experienced to initially provide more challenge and then better train themselves as far as their timing, accuracy and keen awareness of enemy behavior patterns.

And then, of course comes the circus performance of juggling the torch between zombies and birds and eyeball-coughing cannibal plants while attempting to lure out frog-spell-spitting magicians from slanted gravestones for important point bonuses. 

...I sorta feel like a grave robber trying to fund whatever it is I happen to be drinking while I'm doing this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PII said:

As a beginner the torch is a serious disadvantage, as said beginner will lack knowledge of enemy patterns and correct timing as well as flick of the wrist improvisations when caught in an unexpected jam as well as most if not all useful secrets available.  I would say, for someone who's never beaten the game, the knife is your life.

The torch is a great way for anyone who's more experienced to initially provide more challenge and then better train themselves as far as their timing, accuracy and keen awareness of enemy behavior patterns.

And then, of course comes the circus performance of juggling the torch between zombies and birds and eyeball-coughing cannibal plants while attempting to lure out frog-spell-spitting magicians from slanted gravestones for important point bonuses. 

...I sorta feel like a grave robber trying to fund whatever it is I happen to be drinking while I'm doing this.

This, definitely.  Like I mentioned, I never had this as a kid or played it on the NES back then.  I did play the arcade game, just never the NES game.  I got the game years ago in a lot and haven't really touched it until this week!

By the way, posted a new score in my original post.  A bit better, but not by much.  And that is with killing three magicians this time around...I stink!

Edited by Sumer