IGNORED

Game Debate #19: Super Mario Galaxy

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

1 hour ago, MrPeaPod said:

Galaxy 1 and 2 are my least favorite main line Mario games. It might be because I played through them with the wii mote and nunchuck. I don't know if other controllers are supported but that lessened the enjoyment for me. I hate the wii mote as a controller

How is this even possible? 

2 hours ago, MrPeaPod said:

Galaxy 1 and 2 are my least favorite main line Mario games. It might be because I played through them with the wii mote and nunchuck. I don't know if other controllers are supported but that lessened the enjoyment for me. I hate the wii mote as a controller

I, too, despise the wiimote and nunchuck. But, if you can manage to overlook the use of that piece of junk device, the Galaxy games are actually really fun.

(The wiimote sucks. Get off my lawn)

Administrator · Posted

I loved Mario Galaxy.  I remember playing it in a friend's basement with a huge projector screen, and thinking the game was gorgeous.  I thought it was just a fun game, with some unique twists.  A lot of people complained about the lack of the larger open-world type environments, but idk, for some reason that didn't really bother me - I still really enjoyed this game.

Having recently played through this game again for my unboxing video, I can say this game still holds up. I haven't played Odyssey yet which is like a true follow up to 64 but I still think 64 has a certain charm to it that makes it the best 3D Mario. I'd probably rank Galaxy 2nd and is worthy of a 9/10.

Trying to use up the full spectrum of a 10-point scoring scale with each of them actually having some meaning (ie. everything over 5/10 is good), this is one of the few games I'd score a full 10/10.

Takes everything that was good about the two previous 3D Marios (even from Sunshine) and condenses into a pretty much perfect mixture. You can't make a 3D platform game better than this.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Sumez said:

Trying to use up the full spectrum of a 10-point scoring scale with each of them actually having some meaning, this is one of the few games I'd score a full 10/10.

Takes everything that was good about the two previous 3D Marios (even from Sunshine) and condenses into a pretty much perfect mixture. You can't make a 3D platform game better than this.

Wouldn't most people argue that galaxy 2 is better in every regard? 

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Wouldn't most people argue that galaxy 2 is better in every regard? 

2 is good, but definitely not better than the first. It feels overall less inspired and slightly more tedious to play. If Galaxy 1 is an album full of chart hits, Galaxy 2 is a collection of B-sides. Just, really good B-sides.

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Sumez said:

2 is good, but definitely not better than the first. It feels overall less inspired and slightly more tedious to play. If Galaxy 1 is an album full of chart hits, Galaxy 2 is a collection of B-sides. Just, really good B-sides.

It's just weird seeing someone say you "can't make a 3d platform game better than this" when Banjo Kazooie/Tooie exist, as well as Conker's Bad Fur Day. People like to shit on the N64 but there's some solid freakin gems on the system, and IMO Galaxy didn't come close. And that's not even me waxing nostalgic, I play and enjoy modern games on the regular.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
11 hours ago, austin532 said:

Having recently played through this game again for my unboxing video, I can say this game still holds up. I haven't played Odyssey yet which is like a true follow up to 64 but I still think 64 has a certain charm to it that makes it the best 3D Mario. I'd probably rank Galaxy 2nd and is worthy of a 9/10.

Odyssey is the best 3D Mario IMO

46 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's just weird seeing someone say you "can't make a 3d platform game better than this" when Banjo Kazooie/Tooie exist, as well as Conker's Bad Fur Day. People like to shit on the N64 but there's some solid freakin gems on the system, and IMO Galaxy didn't come close.

I love those games. I love them a lot, even. But Mario Galaxy is in a whole other league.

Magical.  Unique from the more open world Mario 3D games, as the courses are more a series of connected planetoids you travel between.  Lots of fun new gimmicks like bee mario and playing with gravity in a 3D space.  You are always unlocking new galaxies and have new challenges and surprises in store.

Didn't get into it on the Wii, but gave it another chance on the Switch and loved it.  Graphics got HD'd up look on par with most Switch games, and while there still is motion controls they 1)work a whole lot better on the Switch and 2) many can now be substituted by a simple press of the Y button.

If you missed out or were turned off by it being on the wii with the wonky wii mote, give it another go.

• Like 1

I debated between a 9 and 10. Ultimately went with 9 simply because I didn't love it quite as much as Mario 64 or World which are in a different league IMO. I would've liked to Galaxy more if the levels were more open. But it's hard to deny what a masterpiece it is. I see a lot of negative points about the Wii remote, and while I agree the Wii remote sucks major balls (you can argue against that but it's a bad controller),having to use the controller didn't really detract from the game itself. I thought the game was so incredibly good. A little hard to navigate at times due to the space/gravity aspect that had you walking on walls and such. But it's one of the best games in the franchise. Maybe even "the" best objectively. But my personal pick goes to SM64 for its perfect level design. Galaxy is a league above Sunshine and Odyssey at least.