IGNORED

Gamecube lot buyer fails to leave timely Feedback

I recently sold the following Gamecube lot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-rare-Gamecube-games-GoGo-Hypergrind-Paper-Ribbit-Slider-Angler-Spells/224096280156?pageci=1f172d93-354d-4bca-91d0-8ded520d56b1

...it went quickly. I realized how high the price spikes had gotten, and that I'd never play those games again. I'd had them lying around for over a Decade. I could free up some shelf space and put the money to good use. I've been collecting since the 90s, but rarely sell on Ebay due to a hostile selling environment and bad buyers. Now, when I did decide to sell, the buyer only responded with a few short words to my messages and has failed to leave Feedback at all, even well after the lot was safely delivered. I packed it well, and have full pictures of the entire process, along with full insurance. My question to the community is this: should I worried about this buyer, and for valuable lots like this one am I wrong to expect responsive communication and timely Feedback?

Umm what?  The buyer is under no sort of obligation to do any of that shit.  In fact if I’m buying from you on eBay don’t message me unless it’s something important.  And definitely don’t bug me about feedback.  If you bug me about feedback I’m not going to leave it on principle.  I usually go in randomly after some months and leave Feedback for everything at once.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I rarely receive feedback anymore.  I don't even worry or think about it.  Most people just don't want to.  The funny thing is that while I continue to leave feeedback on eBay (just because I always have), I almost never leave feedback on Amazon just because I never got into the habit of doing it.  

eBay needs to remove feedback at this point.... it’s worthless...even reading above people just don’t really care about it like they did in the late 90s. With the amount of policies eBay has in place you are really relying on eBay protection. For me when I sell stuff and the person pays I leave feedback right away. When I buy stuff I use the eBay system as sort of a checklist when stuff comes in. I scroll thru and I leave feedback only if the seller left me feedback when I paid. I then hide the item so I don’t see it anymore.

now what’s annoying is a seller who didn’t leave me feedback when I paid them wants to message me for feedback..... like come on man why didn’t you leave me feedback when I paid you. Kick rocks 

I rarely if ever leave feedback anymore, and similarly don't care if people leave me feedback or not. When I do leave feedback, I just go down through and leave a generic comment for dozens of sellers or buyers.

To me, if I hear nothing from someone, it's a sign things are fine. Generally the times I do hear from people it's because there is a problem, or because I know the guy to some extent and we chat on occassion.

On eBay is a bit different as it's a larger pond, but on VGS, for example, I know which members are active here, and I wouldn't hesitate to deal with any of them without ever seeing any sort of feedback. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

If people leave feedback, great.  Never bug them about it (my advice).  As a buyer, it is annoying to receive those "friendly feedback reminders."  

Also, when you have almost 1,000 feedback, it's not worth even getting concerned about.  

It is one thing if it is a smaller site like VGS, or if your feedback is really low, then I understand that building them up is important.  But on ebay, especially when you have a decent amount, it's just not worth worrying about, and as several pointed out, the buyer doesn't have to do so.  

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, spacepup said:

If people leave feedback, great.  Never bug them about it (my advice).  As a buyer, it is annoying to receive those "friendly feedback reminders."  

Also, when you have almost 1,000 feedback, it's not worth even getting concerned about.  

It is one thing if it is a smaller site like VGS, or if your feedback is really low, then I understand that building them up is important.  But on ebay, especially when you have a decent amount, it's just not worth worrying about, and as several pointed out, the buyer doesn't have to do so.  

People never leave me feedback on here. How will anybody know I'm credible!?!?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

People never leave me feedback on here. How will anybody know I'm credible!?!?

I was trying to buy a rune scimmy from Gloves, but he swapped it out for an addy scimmy at the last second. When I told him he gave me the wrong weapon he called me a noob and logged out.

Unsure if I would do business again.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I was trying to buy a rune scimmy from Gloves, but he swapped it out for an addy scimmy at the last second. When I told him he gave me the wrong weapon he called me a noob and logged out.

Unsure if I would do business again.

Sit noob.

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, Chaos Control said:

I recently sold the following Gamecube lot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-rare-Gamecube-games-GoGo-Hypergrind-Paper-Ribbit-Slider-Angler-Spells/224096280156?pageci=1f172d93-354d-4bca-91d0-8ded520d56b1

...it went quickly. I realized how high the price spikes had gotten, and that I'd never play those games again. I'd had them lying around for over a Decade. I could free up some shelf space and put the money to good use. I've been collecting since the 90s, but rarely sell on Ebay due to a hostile selling environment and bad buyers. Now, when I did decide to sell, the buyer only responded with a few short words to my messages and has failed to leave Feedback at all, even well after the lot was safely delivered. I packed it well, and have full pictures of the entire process, along with full insurance. My question to the community is this: should I worried about this buyer, and for valuable lots like this one am I wrong to expect responsive communication and timely Feedback?

So....did you leave timely feedback for the buyer after he paid? 

As a buyer, if the seller doesn't leave me feedback for paying (which is my lone obligation as a buyer), then I don't leave anything for the seller.

4 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

So....did you leave timely feedback for the buyer after he paid? 

As a buyer, if the seller doesn't leave me feedback for paying (which is my lone obligation as a buyer), then I don't leave anything for the seller.

If I leave feedback, it's after the whole transaction has been over. The buyer paying is just part of his job, providing a correct mailing address, not being a scammer, paying customs import taxes if need be, etc are all also part of a buyer's obligations. 

It being expected that sellers leave feedback after the buyer pays is imo the same as buyers having to leave feedback after a tracking number has been provided - the transaction on both sides isn't over, so not the best time to judge the transaction as a whole, it's like judging a movie and writing a review after ten minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

If I leave feedback, it's after the whole transaction has been over. The buyer paying is just part of his job, providing a correct mailing address, not being a scammer, paying customs import taxes if need be, etc are all also part of a buyer's obligations.

This is my approach as well. Although I'll go weeks at a time without a leaving feedback

The only positive for feedback on eBay is it outweighs the negs that you see on other sites. It is common for Amazon sellers to have 90% positive rates just bc people who leave feedback or so much more likely to leave it from a bad experience. Where as on eBay feedback is common so negative feedback will often time come after buyer contact and an attempt at a resolution. 

• Like 2

i never used to leave feedback at all. i was just a buyer, and when someone has 10,000+ already, what's the point?

it was the old NA thread that changed my opinion on this. i now leave positive feedback any time i can. as a buyer, as soon as i receive and test the item. as a seller, i leave it at the same time as providing a tracking number.

i never expect the other person to leave it, as it's about a 50/50 split.

• Like 2

Hmm, I just got another message.  The 4th message asking for feedback in the past month from some guy I bought a „now you’re playing with power“ insert from.  Funny thing is about a week ago I went through my recent transactions and left all my feedback for however long. Guess who intentionally got skipped.

• Like 1

I've been on ebay since their doors opened basically out west, but as someone who sells I only have really gotten into using it for that in the last 10-15 years, about half that or so regularly.  For all the time i've put in selling stuff I find feedback the most disappointing and frustrating thing, and not due to scumbag shenanigans either.  It's the lack of giving a damn.  If ebay forced people to leave feedback I'd have easily 2 to 2.5x the amount I currently have easily.  People don't care.  And I hate to say it, I found using a silent form of indirect extortion has helped me get as much as I have currently too.  I tested being active feeding everyone a rating and it didn't help boost what I got in return, they just didn't care.  But when I started waiting to leave feedback and only giving it on those who give it first, I ended up seeing an increase of feedback on my account.  I do NOT advertise that, doubt I've even mentioned it before outside of this post, but that's what it has come to to get a bit more feedback.

Messages though, as a seller I rarely get them unless I have a question being asked, in rarer cases split between that or a tacked on note to the order after the fact.  Anyone I ever sell to I send a courtesy note saying I intend to get the item that day or the next, or sometimes after I get back from doing it instead.  I imagine probably 20-30% reply with a thanks, and 1-5% total try and strike up some kind of a conversation off that or during the purchase or interest in buying.

• Like 1

Wow, thank you all for your insights and advice. I hadn't realized that delayed Feedback or even no Feedback at all is so commonplace nowadays. My own Ebaying is mostly buying, and I always try to leave Feedback as soon as possible after taking delivery if my purchases and checking them out. There's an obligation to confirm that I'm happy with the purchase (or not, in extremely rare instances) and reassure the seller that I'm a legit buyer and that they won't be scammed. As a seller, I have encountered enough flaky and just plain bad buyers that on the few occasions I do sell I like getting timely Feedback because it is a good reassurance that my buyers really are happy with their purchase and won't later try to abuse the returns process to commit online shoplifting against me or pull some similar scam.

Now, I can understand if a buyer doesn't have time to leave Feedback on many small sum purchases, but on a large lot of valuable games that went for over a thousand dollars? Yes, that's the sort of high-end deal that the buyer really should take a few moments to verify that they're happy (or not) with what they spent that much money on, or at the very least to confirm that the package arrived intact. Surely that isn't at all unreasonable, given the money and games involved?

32 minutes ago, Chaos Control said:

Wow, thank you all for your insights and advice. I hadn't realized that delayed Feedback or even no Feedback at all is so commonplace nowadays. My own Ebaying is mostly buying, and I always try to leave Feedback as soon as possible after taking delivery if my purchases and checking them out. There's an obligation to confirm that I'm happy with the purchase (or not, in extremely rare instances) and reassure the seller that I'm a legit buyer and that they won't be scammed. As a seller, I have encountered enough flaky and just plain bad buyers that on the few occasions I do sell I like getting timely Feedback because it is a good reassurance that my buyers really are happy with their purchase and won't later try to abuse the returns process to commit online shoplifting against me or pull some similar scam.

Now, I can understand if a buyer doesn't have time to leave Feedback on many small sum purchases, but on a large lot of valuable games that went for over a thousand dollars? Yes, that's the sort of high-end deal that the buyer really should take a few moments to verify that they're happy (or not) with what they spent that much money on, or at the very least to confirm that the package arrived intact. Surely that isn't at all unreasonable, given the money and games involved?

You’ll know for sure if they aren’t happy but welcome to the new wave of online shopping. You have to adjust or be left in the dust.