IGNORED

Gamecube lot buyer fails to leave timely Feedback

On 8/14/2020 at 10:37 PM, Chaos Control said:

Wow, thank you all for your insights and advice. I hadn't realized that delayed Feedback or even no Feedback at all is so commonplace nowadays. My own Ebaying is mostly buying, and I always try to leave Feedback as soon as possible after taking delivery if my purchases and checking them out. There's an obligation to confirm that I'm happy with the purchase (or not, in extremely rare instances) and reassure the seller that I'm a legit buyer and that they won't be scammed. As a seller, I have encountered enough flaky and just plain bad buyers that on the few occasions I do sell I like getting timely Feedback because it is a good reassurance that my buyers really are happy with their purchase and won't later try to abuse the returns process to commit online shoplifting against me or pull some similar scam.

Now, I can understand if a buyer doesn't have time to leave Feedback on many small sum purchases, but on a large lot of valuable games that went for over a thousand dollars? Yes, that's the sort of high-end deal that the buyer really should take a few moments to verify that they're happy (or not) with what they spent that much money on, or at the very least to confirm that the package arrived intact. Surely that isn't at all unreasonable, given the money and games involved?

As others have said, leaving feedback isn’t obligatory but more only out of courtesy. You get some who simply won’t bother with leaving feedback at all. I’ve had many repeat buyers who do this to me, and I’m happy for them to keep buying while ignoring the feedback rather than ones who leave feedback and don’t ever come back to deal with again.

Regarding your specific situation, I can think of 3 extra reasons why feedback isn’t left from my own personal experience as a long time eBay user:

1. Buyer might be a private collector and does not want others to stalk them when spending a hefty amount of money. 

2. Buyer may be a long time user and often over time, the use of feedback gets boring. Boring perhaps to the point they stop using it entirely, or leave lengthy delays before feedback is given.

3. People are having busier lives outside of eBay (I’m guessing more so now in this pandemic), and leaving eBay feedback isn’t a very high priority task in 2020 as compared to 2010 when the same group of people might have more spare time.

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, GPX said:

As others have said, leaving feedback isn’t obligatory but more only out of courtesy. You get some who simply won’t bother with leaving feedback at all. I’ve had many repeat buyers who do this to me, and I’m happy for them to keep buying while ignoring the feedback rather than ones who leave feedback and don’t ever come back to deal with again.

Regarding your specific situation, I can think of 3 extra reasons why feedback isn’t left from my own personal experience as a long time eBay user:

1. Buyer might be a private collector and does not want others to stalk them when spending a hefty amount of money. 

2. Buyer may be a long time user and often over time, the use of feedback gets boring. Boring perhaps to the point they stop using it entirely, or leave lengthy delays before feedback is given.

3. People are having busier lives outside of eBay (I’m guessing more so now in this pandemic), and leaving eBay feedback isn’t a very high priority task in 2020 as compared to 2010 when the same group of people might have more spare time.

4.  Won't leave feedback to sellers that don't leave it for them first.

Nothing pisses me off more than an ebay seller who begs me for feedback before the item has even been delivered. Now you won't be getting my feedback at all, and I'm tempted to leave a negative because I didn't even get the item. You want feedback, okay how about DIDN'T GET THE ITEM BUT THE SELLER WANTED FEEDBACK SO HERE IT IS - F------- NEVER GOT ITEM.

The funny thing about ebay feedback is I have 583 positive feedback and a single negative feedback from 2001 (I refused to pay when I realized an item was listed wrong compared to the photo and I didn't want to take any chances). I don't know how someone can even find that single negative because it doesn't even show up in my profile, but on rare occasions up through maybe a year ago I've had auction bids cancelled because of that, with a message that they don't do business with buyers with negative feedback.

Edited by fusoyaff2
negative feedback story

Administrator · Posted

I've bought from sellers with less than 90% feedback before.  For me, it all depends on context.  yeah, of course I want to see a high feedback percentage, but if someone has 97% feedback, and I look at the history and it's one negative from a year ago because there was a shipping issue or something, I'm not too bothered by that.  I look for trends or recent negativity, but the odd situation here and there doesn't impact my buying decision at all.  Maybe that's not the norm for buyers, I don't know.  

It seems wild that someone would not buy from someone with 583 positive because of a single negative, but I guess that's their prerogative.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fusoyaff2 said:

Nothing pisses me off more than an ebay seller who begs me for feedback before the item has even been delivered. Now you won't be getting my feedback at all, and I'm tempted to leave a negative because I didn't even get the item. You want feedback, okay how about DIDN'T GET THE ITEM BUT THE SELLER WANTED FEEDBACK SO HERE IT IS - F------- NEVER GOT ITEM.

The funny thing about ebay feedback is I have 583 positive feedback and a single negative feedback from 2001 (I refused to pay when I realized an item was listed wrong compared to the photo and I didn't want to take any chances). I don't know how someone can even find that single negative because it doesn't even show up in my profile, but on rare occasions up through maybe a year ago I've had auction bids cancelled because of that, with a message that they don't do business with buyers with negative feedback.

You're bound by terms you agreed to, you were required to pay for the item once you clicked the button.

21 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You're bound by terms you agreed to, you were required to pay for the item once you clicked the button.

Even if the item in the listing doesn't match the photo? So you're gonna refuse to sell me anything because 19 years ago somebody listed a lot of NES games and was only selling a couple of the ones in the photos, not all of them and I refused to get ripped off?

2 hours ago, fusoyaff2 said:

Even if the item in the listing doesn't match the photo? So you're gonna refuse to sell me anything because 19 years ago somebody listed a lot of NES games and was only selling a couple of the ones in the photos, not all of them and I refused to get ripped off?

It's your responsibility to read everything and decide if it's what you want. Once you agree to buy, it's on you, you don't get the luxury of entering into a contract, then reading the terms afterwards.

I'm not sure if you guys have the same thing in the US with your eBay but here with eBay.ca if you haven't sold anything for awhile and it's a "high risk" category like video games, eBay holds your money until the buyer leaves positive feedback for you. I recently sold something for about 1k and I had to sit there watching tracking and then messaging the guy 24 hours later asking if he would leave me feedback.