IGNORED

Best Bang For Buck Replay Value Game You'd Take To A Desert Island For The Rest Of Your Life While Tooting Your Ganja In The Hood...

PII

12 hours ago, PII said:

Good question.  Here is my best answer:  Everyone may presume to have all that is necessary to play their one game of choice, however, in this case although you have online functionality, let's also presume that you only have a very few other online folks to play your game with; they are also each on their own separate desert island with the same one game you've chosen.  Also, said folks are totally unwilling to converse with you in any regard beyond the basic necessary game play, for you sir, or ma'am possess the "wrong" political beliefs.  In other words, you are totally isolated w/o any significant human contact and your game of choice should still be chosen based on best possible replay value, and  not for the purpose of maintaining a real connection with other human beings.

Also, no assumption of being able to acquire infinite downloadable add-ons every week/month/year etc. for your game as that would totally refute the concept of isolation from the world and the selection of 1 game for REPLAY value.

While running a gaming console or computer on a desert island is perhaps not the most practical fantasy, I came up with it to try and best emphasize total isolation from the world and people in order to highlight replay-ability over "all time favorite game" consideration etc.  If anyone would prefer to imagine themselves in a prison cell for life with a staff that for some reason allows prisoners to possess a gaming console and one game, that would also serve the purpose.  For that matter if you'd prefer to be on a mountain top or a ship at sea or a floating island in the sky or the planet boo-ga-loo or another dimension entirely, it's all good to me; whatever you like.

Lots of great answers/explanations so far as well as games that are yet unexplored by yours truly !

per-fessor.png

So...basically, the most replayable game without add-ons? 🙂

I think I’m sort of in that phase already - been stuck on playing the same 2 games over and over - Defense Grid and Geometry Wars 2 on Xbox 360. The hook is in their infinite possibilities and the hi-score aim. If I really had to pick, then it’d be Defense Grid with more variability in its gameplay.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Anything with ridiculous replay value like that. Or Animal Crossing New Horizons. Again, replay value.

EarthBound, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Super Mario 64 and Dark Souls are some of my favorite games but I don't know if they'd keep me occupied til the end of time like SSBU, ACNH and MK8 would.

I got to thinking a bit and while I still like my original post, I saw a couple open world sandbox type games listed and was surprised more didn't come up.  I would think if you're alone you'd maybe want some kind of interaction perhaps.  I remember wasting so many hours on the only of the series I ever really really loved in that realm and that was GTA3 and Vice City.  I'd almost want to take one of those along.

Either one you don't even have to play the story beyond a point to have the entire city maps open.  Once there you can be good, be bad, do a rampage, race, fly, go on water craft, whatever.  It would be like being around a community again in a soft sense, one you can go nuts in to get some stress out, or in other ways just to have a bit of fun.  There's no worry about a start, end, high scores, or the rest, it's an open play field.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

AirVIllainBackFromTheDead-CasualCart.jpeg.70309f867473bc1b0efc3b65cd96abbf.jpeg

Here from the Mega Man 2 discussion...

ONE SINGLE GAME???? That's tricky/borderline impossible. Thoughts... There are plenty of ways to go at this. I'll start by narrowing down the system: NES

This way it's not "cheating" by picking some new game that's got a million things to do it like Mario 64 😆 ... a game that's more basic, yet still varied enough to last you on this deserted Island.

You've got to have great everything.... Music, graphics, gameplay, different levels, different bosses, different levels of difficulty... You literally need a game that has it all...

I think my game would have to be Mega Man 2... or... could be a tie with SMB3. 

There are other NES games that are as great as well, obviously, but potentially not as varied as MM2 and SMB3.  

Could I actually pick one? I don't know.... But for the sake of this thread I guess I HAVE to? 🤔

Super Mario Bros. 3

I chose this because I think when you're chilling on the beach there's going to be more times where you just want to chill and relax.... so SMB is just that. 

But wait.... now I'm thinking it might be TOO easy for such a long period of time. Maybe the choice needs to be MM2 for a little added challenge.... 

Well now I'm on a mental downward spiral and can't make any decisions for myself today. Going back to bed, now. Thanks. 

I know it almost seems like a cop out, but Tetris, Game Boy Tetris to be exact.  If you ever need some gaming time, need something ever changing, something that never ends, that's the one.  The time you could lose on that and still always inch out a bit more improvement would be that.

If it's too easy to throw that out there, then well either the original (win 32bit port) Sim City Classic (or if not that one, Sim City 2000-windows 32bit) would be it.

Much like Tetris you have your modes where it's a free for all, or the scenarios (which would be like the junk pit mode-B Tetris) to spice it up some.  You can always go a different route, make new things to find new ways to destroy and repair them, jack up the difficulty, mess with the finances, disaster frequency, etc.

• Like 1

It's difficult to pick just one game but I suppose it would have to be something with a grand scope and with tons of options. Maybe Civilization VI, considering how many hundreds of hours I've already dumped into it and how I feel like I've barely even scratched the surface. I mean, there are 77 different leaders at this point and I think I've only given a serious attempt at playing with *maybe* 15 of them. Then there are all the variant options that I haven't even touched, liked zombies, secret societies, randomized tech trees, etc.

• Like 1