IGNORED

Game Debate #7: Dark Souls

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

39 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I love how @Bearcat-Doug thinks this is still NintendoAge, and that liking any game released after 1995 is immediate cause for ridicule and social ostracizing! 🤣

It's okay dude, your old git credentials are FIRMLY established by this point, no one is gonna make fun of you if you can admit that at least one decent videogame has been released in the last two and a half decades! 😛

Edited by OptOut
  • Haha 1

Dark Souls is a masterpiece in my book. The grimdark world, hidden lore, punishing gameplay, multiple paths open to you early on (even though there is the "expected path"), menacing bosses, area design and connectivity. I fought Sif as my third boss and I would die in 2 hits if I recall correctly. I stubbornly beat Sif after much pain and fast forward to this day: I own the First 4 Figures statue of Sif in honor of that early game Dark Souls experience I had. I played 80-90h in 8 days and beat the game, that's how into the journey I was. The game is masochistic gaming 101, not for everyone and not that hard if you chow down hard games by nature but a definite modern treat and it even popularised the gimmick of Souls-likes.

https://gamicus.gamepedia.com/Soulslike

Edited by sp1nz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

I love how @Bearcat-Doug thinks this is still NintendoAge, and that liking any game released after 1995 is immediate cause for ridicule and social ostracizing! 🤣

It's okay dude, your old git credentials are FIRMLY established by this point, no one is gonna make fun of you if you can admit that at least one decent videogame has been released in the last two and a half decades! 😛

The last new game I played was Punch Out for the Wii back in 2009. I haven't owned a current gen console since the Wii and PS3, so I've literally not played anything that was released in the last 10 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The last new game I played was Punch Out for the Wii back in 2009. I haven't owned a current gen console since the Wii and PS3, so I've literally not played anything that was released in the last 10 years.

Wow. That is a long time to be removed from current gaming.  Even if you don't like the AAA stuff there has been tons of great Indies games in that time. 

29 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Wow. That is a long time to be removed from current gaming.  Even if you don't like the AAA stuff there has been tons of great Indies games in that time. 

I've got an entire library of NES, SNES and Game Boy games to keep me busy. I'm sure there are lots of good modern games out there, but I just don't have the time to play everything. I thought about getting a Switch, but I'd just end up downloading the entire Arcade Archives library and never buy an actual game. 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You and your newfangled Wii games. My most modern consoles were original XBOX and Playstation 2. I hadn't played anything more recent until I got Cuphead for PC not too long ago.

Administrator · Posted
37 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I've played the trilogy but not Demon's Souls. Super sad it's a PS5 exclusive 😢 they are amazing games, but yeah.. only those who are alright with a challenge. Voted an 8 - highly recommend.

Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive.

😏

On 8/8/2020 at 9:32 AM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I just dont have the patience for these games that much anymore, idk. What I have played I enjoyed, 6/10

I feel like I'd enjoy 2 and/or 3 more? As they seem like they are just a bit more polished? Idk lol

1 is definitely the overall best game, but you could easily argue that 3 is more polished. It's a great game.

Don't even bother with 2. I'd only recommend it to people who already played the four other games and can't get enough. It's the opposite of polished.

Edited by Sumez