IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, Link said:

Oh he won't, but this entire announcement that played like a short infomercial was absolutely hilarious. Are the certificates of authenticity for the NFTs gonna be printed on real paper and mailed out like his stimulus payment "you're welcome" notes? 🤣 

The idea that you'd need a certificate of authenticity shows a glaring misunderstanding of the whole concept of NFTs lol. 

• Haha 1

Welp.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/12/19/us/jan-6-committee-trump

WASHINGTON — The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol accused former President Donald J. Trump on Monday of inciting insurrection, conspiracy to defraud the United States, obstruction of an act of Congress and one more federal crime as it referred him to the Justice Department for potential prosecution.

The action, the first time in American history that Congress has referred a former president for criminal prosecution, is the coda to the committee’s intense 18-month investigation into Mr. Trump’s effort to overturn the 2020 election that culminated in a violent mob of the former president’s supporters laying siege to the Capitol.

The criminal referrals were a major escalation for a congressional investigation that is the most significant in a generation. The panel referred five other Trump allies — Mark Meadows, his final chief of staff, and the lawyers Rudolph W. Giuliani, John Eastman, Jeffrey Clark and Kenneth Chesebro — for potential prosecution for actions the committee said warranted Justice Department investigation. The charges would carry lengthy prison sentences if federal prosecutors chose to pursue them.

• Like 4

And it looks like the GOP might finally throw him under the bus.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3781457-many-senate-republicans-arent-protecting-trump-after-jan-6-panels-nod-to-criminal-charges/amp/

Given he basically cost them three election cycles, including a gimme midterm last month, I'm not surprised.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In other news, everyone's favorite misogynist, Andrew Tate, was arrested in Romania on charges of trafficking women.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/andrew-tate-brother-tristan-arrested-amid-human-trafficking-probe/news-story/248458ec593bf1bc76ce70f8250abf88

The kicker? During his recent social media spat with Greta Thunberg, one of his response posts alerted authorities that he was back in the country, so they went and arrested him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tulpa said:

In other news, everyone's favorite misogynist, Andrew Tate, was arrested in Romania on charges of trafficking women.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/andrew-tate-brother-tristan-arrested-amid-human-trafficking-probe/news-story/248458ec593bf1bc76ce70f8250abf88

The kicker? During his recent social media spat with Greta Thunberg, one of his response posts alerted authorities that he was back in the country, so they went and arrested him.

I hope that POS and his POS brother rot in jail!

Edited by avatar!

Law Will Install Kill Switches In All New Cars

https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/kill-switches-new-cars/

According to an article written by former U.S. Representative Bob Barr, hidden away in the recently passed infrastructure bill, the very one I warned before would negatively impact drivers across the country if it were to pass, is a measure to install vehicle kill switches into every new car, truck, and SUV sold in this country. The regulation likely won’t be enforced for five years, so maybe there’s time to do something about this.

Barr points out that the bill, which has been signed into law by President Biden, states that the kill switch, which is referred to as a safety device, must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.” In other words, Big Brother will constantly be monitoring how you drive. If you do something the system has been programmed to recognize as driver impairment, your car could just shut off, which could be incredibly dangerous.

But wait, there’s more. This kill switch “safety” system would be open, or in other words there would be a backdoor. That would allow police or other government authorities to access it whenever. Would they need a warrant to do that? Likely not. Even better, hackers could access the backdoor and shut down your vehicle.

I remember in Jan of this year people were discussing how a supposed "kill switch" law was fake news. However, maybe something recently passed? Sounds absolutely horrendous and I'm sure is unconstitutional, assuming this really did happen.

There is a lot of misinformation about the "kill switch."

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-402773429497

The law gives the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an agency under the Department of Transportation, three years to define which specific technologies cars should begin using. Once defined, automakers have between two and three years to comply.

The law leaves most of the details up to NHTSA, specifying only that the technology should be equipped to passively monitor a driver’s behavior or blood alcohol concentration, as well as prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if the driver is impaired.

Existing technologies and those in development to prevent drunk driving generally fall into two categories: driver monitoring systems that use sensors or cameras to monitor the driver’s behaviors, head or eye movements, and alcohol detection systems that use touch-based or breath-based sensors to measure the driver’s blood alcohol concentration. In either case, if a driver is found to be impaired, the car might employ a warning message, block the driver from operating the vehicle, or if the vehicle is already in motion, direct it to a safe stop or automated ride home.

None of the technologies currently in development would notify law enforcement of the data collected inside vehicles or give government agencies remote control of vehicles, according to Jeffrey Michael, a researcher at Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Injury Research and Policy.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

There is a lot of misinformation about the "kill switch."

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-402773429497

The article you noted was from March of this year. The article I linked to is from today. I don't know if a new law was passed or if this is the same bill they're now talking about? As you noted a lot of misinformation out there and I'm trying to figure out what is what 🙂

The Republican Party is basically disintegrating from within.

As the 118th Congress convened on Tuesday, the election for House speaker devolved into a pitched floor fight, with a mutiny among hard-right lawmakers creating political chaos not seen in the chamber in a century. Just before 5:30 p.m., after three votes failed to produce a winner, the House adjourned until noon on Wednesday.

Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the Republican leader, failed to win the speakership on the first three votes, turning what was to be a triumphant moment for the new G.O.P. majority into a political crisis that exposed the fissures within the party just as it assumed control of the House. And since the chamber cannot swear in members or perform actual work until the speaker is chosen, the nation’s legislative process was at a standstill.

Here’s what to know:

• Needing a majority of the House to win — 218 votes with all members present and participating — Mr. McCarthy received 203 in the first two rounds of balloting, then lost a supporter in the third round, finishing with 202. He has pledged to fight for the speakership even if it requires lawmakers to vote multiple times.

• The Democrats are united behind their leader, Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, who earned the most votes, 212, on all three ballots but will almost certainly not win because his party controls only 212 seats, short of the 218 needed.

• Until Tuesday, the House had not failed to elect a speaker on the first roll call vote since 1923, when the election stretched for nine ballots. House precedent dictates that members continue to take successive votes until someone — Mr. McCarthy or a different nominee — secures the majority needed to prevail.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

Good. 

This is what happens when you don't do something about Mike Lofgren's "crackpot outliers". When you accept rhetoric the KKK was spewing 30 years ago. 

I'm not convinced the beast is ready to eat itself yet, though.

Edited by Link
  • Like 1

Good.  Fuck the Republican party. So happy I changed my affiliation after Trump. Let it burn. 

Kevin McCarthy is a gutless bootlicker, who should be ashamed to look in the mirror. I don’t think his humiliation has a basement.  Can you imagine kissing Trumps ring like that and still having to grovel at the pedo Matt Gaetz’s feet? While sloth from goonies (MTG) watches? Gross. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Good.  Fuck the Republican party. So happy I changed my affiliation after Trump. Let it burn.

I watched a documentary on Mr. Rogers last night. It was great, and I was a bit surprised to learn he was a lifelong Republican - but of course the Republican party was very different decades ago. I'm sure today he would have changed his affiliation.

In Eisenhower's era, the Republican and Democratic parties both had liberal and conservative members. Liberal/moderate Republicans were often called "Rockefeller Republicans," after Nelson Rockefeller who was fairly liberal (and would be called communist today by many on the far right.) Eisenhower himself wasn't that political (he joined the Republicans out of convenience), but largely he was economically conservative and socially liberal.

Heck, even Richard Nixon was considered somewhat progressive, what with establishing the EPA, opening relations with China, and nationalizing the passenger rail service under Amtrak (though in fairness, the railroads begged the government to do that.)

The conservative wing of the Democrats has been known by several names (like Dixiecrats), and primarily represented the South, though there were conservative Ds elsewhere. Most southern Democrats moved to the Republican Party as part of that party's "Southern Strategy," which began under Nixon and kicked into high gear under Reagan, thanks to the efforts of Lee Atwater and others.

Today, the Democrats are labeled left wing, but they still have a moderate wing (New Democrat Coalition), and a centrist/conservative wing (Blue Dog Democrats.) The "Squad" and other progressives get a lot of press, but they don't have anywhere near the influence the media and the alt-right give them (they WISH they had that much power.)

It's funny, but a lot of my friends overseas call today's Democratic Party right wing compared to their governments. To be fair, they call today's Republican Party "fucking terrifying."

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

This sounds like an interesting story. What did you like about the party before that? How do you feel about those ideals or ideas now? If you feel like sharing. 

15 minutes ago, Link said:

This sounds like an interesting story. What did you like about the party before that? How do you feel about those ideals or ideas now? If you feel like sharing. 

Ill give you the cliff notes because its pretty nuanced.  A better discussion over a beer in person. 

Always considered myself a fiscal republican, but social liberal. I believe in an updated 2nd amendment, and environmental regulation. I dont think government should tell anyone what to do with their bodies, period. When i registered to vote/draft (year 2000)I chose republican more as a small rebellion against my aggressively hippy parents (we have and have always had a great relationship- being pretty low key I didn't do much “rebelling” my teenage years) I didn’t really follow politics or vote until around 30 so It didn’t really matter. 

Once I got into it a little more, I realized that I wasn’t a “true republican” for more than a few reasons-  just an R fiscally. Also, I couldn’t  get behind the culture of actively trying to ruin other people lives just because they are different. I never fit in because I abhor religion personally, but believe everyone should have the right to worship as they choose. I get FURIOUS when people try to force it on others, or use it as some hypocritical moral bludgeon which is all too common in the Republican party. 

Living in literally the most progressive area in US it didnt matter enough that I was registered R so I never changed.  I voted for whoever I thought would be the best, regardless of affiliation. 

Once Trump destroyed the norms and decorum of elected office, I didn’t want to be associated with that racism or anti-american behavior. Still am horribly embarrassed for people that fell for such a garbage con. Other than Mitch playing him like a puppet to ruin the supreme court, Trump didnt do anything remotely conservative, other than hate democrats. 

I considered changing to Democrat, but things like injection sites and total gun control is too much for me- even though I am a construction trade union member and actually benefit personally from most “Big” government items. So independent it is. 

Now my only really affiliation is “Never Trumper” 😂😂  I get a kick out of embarrassing low iq  Trumpers in real life and online when they are obnoxious and make it their main personality trait. I just wish people would be more open about liking him because he’s racist or he’s a terrible person, and stop pretending like he is smart or actually conservative. 

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Like 2

Thank you for telling that. I agree with a lot. 

On 1/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, MrWunderful said:

I voted for whoever I thought would be the best, regardless of affiliation. 

I wish this could work for me. For example I liked John Kasich and would have voted for him over Hillary Clinton in a general election. I felt like he was more reasonable and relatable and could have gotten more done. But there was no way for me to indicate that while also voting for my preferred option in the primary (not HC). Parties can have purpose, and it might be impossible but I'd really like to see a complete elimination of them or at least ranked choice voting at every level, so that we actually have to think about proposals and policies and platforms. 

and I'd love to have a beer over this. If I ever get to SF again I would attempt contact. Likewise hmu if you ever visit Chicago.

Where I will wholeheartedly say the democrats are fucking full of shit. Which doesn't mean the republicans arent too, but some people are willing to admit things or not worship their slate. 

21 minutes ago, Link said:

and I'd love to have a beer over this. If I ever get to SF again I would attempt contact. Likewise hmu if you ever visit Chicago.

Where I will wholeheartedly say the democrats are fucking full of shit. Which doesn't mean the republicans arent too, but some people are willing to admit things or not worship their slate. 

I’d love this! Ill take you where you don’t see heroin needles and human shit 😂😂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I’d love this! Ill take you where you don’t see heroin needles and human shit 😂😂

So, not SF then?! I've visited the city on a couple occasions, I will never forget the time I walked down a busy street only to witness a pants-less homeless guy standing over a drain and loudly screaming as he shat into it, in full view of passersby.

Land of freedom, indeed. 😂 

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

So, not SF then?! I've visited the city on a couple occasions, I will never forget the time I walked down a busy street only to witness a pants-less homeless guy standing over a drain and loudly screaming as he shat into it, in full view of passersby.

Its not that bad hahaha. Like any other big city, there will always be sketchy areas. The majority is nice though.

If it was that bad, the medium home price wouldn’t be 1.5 million. 😂😂😂

On 1/5/2023 at 12:55 AM, OptOut said:

Point being, to the areas where that is not 😂 

• Haha 1

McCarthy managed to secure some more votes, and it looked like 14th time was the charm.

But then Rep. Matt Gaetz waited until the last second and voted present, which meant McCarthy lost again.

Then this happened:

The guy being held back at 1:29 is Rep. Mike Rogers of Alabama. Apparently it got pretty heated.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11608739/Matt-Gaetz-sinks-Kevin-McCarthys-14th-Speaker-bid-House-chaos.html

Another choice moment:

"Reps. Eli Crane of Arizona and Matt Rosendale of Montana cast their vote for Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona and Rep. Bob Good of Virginia cast his vote for Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., a McCarthy ally, reportedly went up to Rosendale and said she had Trump on the phone and said Rosendale needed to speak with him. 'Don't you ever do me like that,' Rosendale reportedly told her."

Edited by Tulpa
  • Wow! 1