IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

I've heard from many people that SF is perhaps the most beautiful (large) city in the USA. Apparently though, it is the most expensive for many things, notably housing. I was speaking to a friend who told me that there is a plan (don't remember which city, or cities) to potentially repurpose empty offices into housing, but there are numerous issues that have to be addressed and it's apparently far from trivial.

• Like 1

This is why many (most?) Americans do not trust law enforcement officers -

Police In Farmington, New Mexico, Respond To Wrong Residence And Kill Homeowner

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/farmington-new-mexico-police-kill-wrong-homeowner_n_643035f4e4b0c2da15065bf4

Officers from Farmington Police Department received a call for a possible domestic violence incident at 5308 Valley View Avenue at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, yet mistakenly approached 5305 Valley View when they arrived.

Body camera footage shows the officers knocking on the door and announcing themselves as members of the Farmington Police Department, according to an account by New Mexico State Police.

When nobody answered, the officers backed away, at which point 52-year-old Robert Dotson opened the screen door armed with a handgun. What followed, said Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe, “was a chaotic scene, with officers retreating and opening fire.” Officers shot and killed Dotson. After the initial exchange of gunfire, authorities said Dotson’s wife, who also was armed with a handgun, opened fire from the doorway, prompting officers to return fire.

In an apologetic video statement shared on social media Thursday, Hebbe pledged to release body camera footage within a week. “Mr. Dotson was not the subject of the call that our officers were responding to, and this ending is just unbelievably tragic,” Hebbe said. “This is a very dark day for the Farmington PD, for our community, for the Dotson family. “There’s nothing I can say that will make this better. It’s a terrible event, and I’m heartbroken over it.” It’s unclear what charges might stem from the fatal shooting. The New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau said Thursday its findings would be shared with the appropriate district attorney, who ultimately would make that decision.

Almost certainly no criminal charges will be filed, because the police and DA protect themselves. Sure, civil proceedings are a given, and right now I promise you the police are talking to their lawyers about what to say and do. Ideally, the cops will not only be fired but face criminal charges, but again, I just don't see that happening. The chief already is using key words such as "chaotic" and "tragic" which is code for "I'm not going to incriminate anyone in this police department because I know we are royally fucked but hopefully we can protect ourselves against this murder because we are the police!" -- FUCK THEM!
And for the record, I absolutely support the police, they have a hell of a job, but there is NO excuse for this, none.

48 minutes ago, avatar! said:

This is why many (most?) Americans do not trust law enforcement officers -

Police In Farmington, New Mexico, Respond To Wrong Residence And Kill Homeowner

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/farmington-new-mexico-police-kill-wrong-homeowner_n_643035f4e4b0c2da15065bf4

Officers from Farmington Police Department received a call for a possible domestic violence incident at 5308 Valley View Avenue at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, yet mistakenly approached 5305 Valley View when they arrived.

Body camera footage shows the officers knocking on the door and announcing themselves as members of the Farmington Police Department, according to an account by New Mexico State Police.

When nobody answered, the officers backed away, at which point 52-year-old Robert Dotson opened the screen door armed with a handgun. What followed, said Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe, “was a chaotic scene, with officers retreating and opening fire.” Officers shot and killed Dotson. After the initial exchange of gunfire, authorities said Dotson’s wife, who also was armed with a handgun, opened fire from the doorway, prompting officers to return fire.

In an apologetic video statement shared on social media Thursday, Hebbe pledged to release body camera footage within a week. “Mr. Dotson was not the subject of the call that our officers were responding to, and this ending is just unbelievably tragic,” Hebbe said. “This is a very dark day for the Farmington PD, for our community, for the Dotson family. “There’s nothing I can say that will make this better. It’s a terrible event, and I’m heartbroken over it.” It’s unclear what charges might stem from the fatal shooting. The New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau said Thursday its findings would be shared with the appropriate district attorney, who ultimately would make that decision.

Almost certainly no criminal charges will be filed, because the police and DA protect themselves. Sure, civil proceedings are a given, and right now I promise you the police are talking to their lawyers about what to say and do. Ideally, the cops will not only be fired but face criminal charges, but again, I just don't see that happening. The chief already is using key words such as "chaotic" and "tragic" which is code for "I'm not going to incriminate anyone in this police department because I know we are royally fucked but hopefully we can protect ourselves against this murder because we are the police!" -- FUCK THEM!
And for the record, I absolutely support the police, they have a hell of a job, but there is NO excuse for this, none.

So what are the police meant to think when someone opens the door holding a gun? Yeah they made a mistake going to the wrong house but why is the owner opening the door with a gun in hand? And then the wife comes out with a gun and starts shooting the police too? In what world is that normal except maybe the Wild West? The US is mental 😆

https://www.nbcnews.com/media/fox-news-settles-dominion-defamation-lawsuit-rcna80285

Dominion and Fox News reach $787.5 million settlement in defamation lawsuit

WILMINGTON, Del. — Fox News and Dominion Voting Systems reached a $787.5 million settlement agreement Tuesday afternoon, the parties announced, narrowly heading off a trial shortly after the jury was sworn in.

“Fox has admitted to telling lies,” John Poulos, Dominion CEO, said at a news conference after the trial ended.

"Money is accountability," said Stephen Shackelford Jr., the attorney scheduled to give opening statements for Dominion on Tuesday.

Fox News, in a statement, said it acknowledged "the court’s rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false."

Fox still has to deal with the Smartmatic lawsuit, and a few others. Newsmax, OAN, Mike Lindell, Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani still have lawsuits against them. 

Security comes first in U.S.-China economic relations, says Treasury Secretary Yellen

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/20/1171048585/janet-yellen-speech-china-us-economic-relations

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said on Thursday national security comes first even if it has an impact on the economic relationship with China, and "targeted actions" that Washington takes to protect its interests are not meant to give the United States a competitive economic advantage over China.

"First, we will secure our national security interests and those of our allies and partners, and we will protect human rights," Yellen said. "We will not hesitate to defend our vital interests. Even as our targeted actions may have economic impacts, they are motivated solely by our concerns about our security and values."

But Yellen said a full economic split between China and the U.S. would be "disastrous". She said "a growing China that plays by international rules" is good for the United States and the world.

I assume that last part about China "playing by the rules" is just something she had to say. Everyone knows China never plays by the rules! They are an enemy of the USA and the collective West and democracy. China relations since Nixon have been a complete disaster. China always viewed the USA as their #1 enemy, and they made sure enough American companies and politicians became rich, while stealing and pilfering. Painful now, but certainly necessary to greatly distance ourselves from China.

Screenshot-from-2023-04-24-13-11-34.png

Carlson's last program was Friday. Beginning Monday evening, the network will air Fox News Tonight as an interim show helmed by rotating FOX News personalities until a new host is determined.

In another exchange made public in March, Carlson wrote: "We're all pretending we've got a lot to show for it, because admitting what a disaster it's been is too tough to digest. But come on. There really isn't an upside to Trump."

Carlson's text messages are among a large tranche of private conversations and under-oath testimony from executives and hosts at Fox News, which Dominion argued in its complaint "sold a false story of election fraud in order to serve its own commercial purposes, severely injuring Dominion in the process."

• Haha 1

All the right wing forums are freaking out. They're saying he'll go to Newsmax, but that outlet's also staring down the barrel of a lawsuit or two.

I'm guessing since Smartmatic's suit is still pending, Fox is jettisoning as much liability as it can. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

California Assembly passes bill that would ban the sale of Skittles

https://www.today.com/food/news/california-bill-ab418-skittles-food-containing-chemicals-red3-rcna77016

A new bill in the California legislature aims to change the ingredient makeup of some of America’s most popular snacks, candies and other foods sold in stores, according to the bill’s author — and it just passed the Assembly.

In February, Jesse Gabriel, a Democratic assemblymember from Woodland Hills, California, introduced legislation that would ban the sale of processed foods in California that contain certain chemicals he claims are dangerous and toxic.

The measure, Assembly Bill (AB) 418, would prohibit the manufacture, sale or distribution of any food product in California containing the chemicals red dye No. 3 (commonly listed as red #3 in ingredients on food packaging), titanium dioxide, potassium bromate, brominated vegetable oil or propylparaben.

The bill notes that each chemical listed is currently banned in the European Union due to scientific studies that have shown evidence that the chemicals are harmful.

Clearly, the article headline was nothing more than a shite clickbait. The actual reasoning is absolutely sound! I hope the rest of the country also bans these additives.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp (again.)

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/trump-says-hes-been-indicted-summoned-to-federal-court-in-miami-next-week.html

Trump indicted in classified documents case in Florida

• Former President Donald Trump has been indicted in federal court in Miami in connection with his retention of classified government documents he retained after leaving the White House.
  • Trump himself disclosed the indictment in a series of posts on his Truth Social social media site He also said he has been summoned to appear in court in Miami on Tuesday.
  • He is currently seeking the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
  • An FBI raid of his Mar-a-Lago residence last summer found hundreds of classified records.
  • Haha 2

It'll be interesting to see where the rest of the GOP falls on this, as the DOJ has pretty much all the smoking guns Trump left lying around.

If I were them, I'd cut my losses with anything MAGA, accept the lumps for a few election cycles, and try again later. But what do I know?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It'll be interesting to see where the rest of the GOP falls on this, as the DOJ has pretty much all the smoking guns Trump left lying around.

If I were them, I'd cut my losses with anything MAGA, accept the lumps for a few election cycles, and try again later. But what do I know?

Maybe they are sick of winning?

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

MTG is a legitimate terrorist and seditionist. MAGAts are trying to ruin our country. Kevin McCarthy actually gave her a security clearance lol She has accomplished nothing other than Fox News appearances and Dark money PACs

Also the supercut of Trump ragging on Hillary “but her emails” is amazing when he is staring down a legit 37 point federal indictment.  And we arent even to the Jan 6th, or Georgia “find me 11,000 votes” thing yet  😂😂😂 hopefully we can surpass 100! But indictments will soon turn into convictions.

and he just had 2 of his lawyers quit I just read.

Please, can just 1 Trumper show up with a halfway coherent argument about why he should be president? There has to be one poking around here. Like how he improved the republican party, and made america better for everyone? Other than being a victim, what does he have to offer?

Hes not even really pro-life.

Hes not a fiscal hawk.  

Not remotely small government.

Thinks we should pull out of every country everywhere and is obviously pro-dictator, loves Putin, loves Kim Jong-Un. Groveled at the CCP’s feet. 

Literally started the covid vaccine.

Which part is republican? Hating Democrats? Even though like 15 years ago he was one, talking shit about RINOs and donating to Hillary? Makes sense.

crazy times man

• Like 1

Trump’s remarks were among the most chilling ever uttered by a major figure in modern US history

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/14/politics/donald-trump-indictment-2024-campaign/index.html

The ex-president, who tried to steal the 2020 election, accused President Joe Biden and a band of misfits and Marxists of election interference and of mounting a political persecution typical of a fascist or communist nation. He also falsely insisted he had to the right to keep secret documents that were the property of the US government.

His remarks were among the most chilling and demagogic ever uttered by a major figure in modern American history. And on a somber day in the nation’s story, they said everything about the former president and the divisive spectacle ahead as he runs for the White House under the shadow of two criminal indictments to which he has pleaded not guilty – with more possibly to come.

Trump’s defiance reinforced the impression he views the law with contempt. By ignoring the gravity of a situation he created, he once again put immediate personal and political needs ahead of the national interest – a trend reflected in his haphazard storage of classified documents in a bathroom, ballroom and shower. The material included secrets about America’s nuclear program and key military plans and, according to the indictment, he allegedly obstructed government efforts to get them to safety.

I'm not an expert on presidential history... but can anyone point to a president that is so blatantly undemocratic and un-American?? He makes me puke! Hope he ends up in jail for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

Case in point. Republicans hhhaaaaaate CNN because they think it's biased. Never mind how much positive coverage they gave Trump right from the start of his first campaign. Or the rally that they just hosted and intentionally packed with fans.

Meanwhile their counterpart Fox News heavily editorializes far more often. There are studies showing this. 

For those of you in San Fran, is this true? --

San Francisco is in trouble, battered by remote work and the homeless crisis

https://www.yahoo.com/news/san-francisco-is-in-trouble-battered-by-remote-work-and-the-homeless-crisis-160203782.html

Last week’s disclosure by a major hotel group that it was abandoning two flagship properties in downtown San Francisco was the latest blow to a city that has been battered like no other by the coronavirus pandemic.

Another blow came days later, when the mall operator Westfield said it was fleeing its huge downtown property.

Some residents worry that San Francisco is entering a “doom loop” in which commercial real estate will collapse, municipal tax revenues will vanish and city services will be drastically cut back.

Failure to repay those loans could trigger a banking crisis not unlike the one that devastated the housing market in 2007 and 2008.

The situation is especially dire in San Francisco, where 18 million square feet — one-third of all the city’s office space — remains vacant. While some cities have tried office-to-apartment conversions, the process for doing so is complex and not nearly the cure-all some want it to be.

“San Francisco leaders brush off the bad news and say the city will recover,” one San Francisco resident, Anastasia Edel, recently wrote in the Los Angeles Times. “Yet nobody seems to know what that looks like, or what is the path forward.”

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

For those of you in San Fran, is this true? --

I don't like there, but I will say that I work in tech, and companies that have invested in real estate are really in a pickle right now. Remote tech work is absolutely the future, and resisting that is a big mistake. My company started building an AMAZING facility in 2018 and it got completed in late 2020, and its barely been put to use since. They are pushing for us to come in but not requiring it and of course there is a lot of resistance. It's a really interesting and a pretty scary time. I don't doubt that any of the above is true. 

• Like 1