IGNORED

NES Games That Deserve Sequels

toma

Just been thinking about good NES games that deserve sequels, or maybe not-so-good games with interesting characters that deserved a better chance to shine. Possibly even era-appropriate properties that never had a NES game. If it were possible to land a license to develop a sequel or spin-off to an existing franchise, what would you guys want to see? Asking for a friend.

Examples of stuff that I'm thinking of:

Good Games: Little Samson, Bucky O'Hare...

Deserved Better: Karnov, Bad Dudes...

Never got a NES game: He-Man, Thundercats...

All of these are just examples, obviously...

Edited by toma

Homebrew Team · Posted

I'd love another Bucky game. 

Formula One Built to Win was ahead of it's time.  Would be interesting to see where a sequel could go.  

As far as deserved better, I wish Gauntlet was better than it turned out to be.  They didn't figure out how to bring a coin eating arcade game to NES yet.  

• Like 3

Nightshade is probably the big one for me. It's a bit of a hidden gem, released only in one region, so few people have heard of it. In short, it's a point-n-click'ish adventure game (though designed for a controller interface) with some fistfight action segments and other traps that can easily kill our hero. Being able to die (with a clever continue system that allows you to extend the game a couple of times if you can solve a death trap puzzle) and not having a continue system means that for the game to really work, they had to make the puzzle threads very open ended, so you don't need to replay the same sequence every time you restart. Instead the game feels extremely nonlinear, allowing you to solve the different mysteries in any order you like. The game touts a sequel at the end, which never came, Axelay-style. It's too bad, because a lot could be done to improve the experience - most obviously the fight scenes are extremely poorly handled, and the game has an overall low production value to it. You can tell it was a passion project for just a handful of people.

Shatterhand feels like it should have been a long running franchise, but probably showed up way too late in the NES's life time. It's really great as it is, but it represents the height of a subgenre that really only exists on the NES, and I would love to have a lot more games like it. And if it were getting a sequel anyway, that would be a good idea to fix the kinda dumb sentry robot system.

StarTropics was brought up recently. The first game was a great idea, executed so perfectly that it pretty much didn't need a sequel. The sequel it did get changed stuff around so much it wasn't really as interesting. But a new Startropics more in the vein of the puzzle/adventure style gameplay of the first would be incredibly.

Solstice is one of the few isometric games I feel that really works. Getting lost in that huge maze-like castle was like nothing else. A new game with a more focused mission, a bit more plot (but nothing that ruins the isolated mood), more recognizable locations, trimmed down in terms of the OP spells and confusing life/continue system would be great. The game already got a direct sequel on SNES, but that game is very different, and doesn't really feel much like Solstice.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:07 PM, toma said:

Good Games: Little Samson, Bucky O'Hare...

Deserved Better: Karnov, Bad Dudes...

Bad Dudes already got a super excellent sequel though, even if it never came out on the NES. Crude Buster (aka Two Crude Dudes) is one of my favourite brawlers. Karnov got a semi-sequel in Chelnov, and of course appeared as a character himself in a ton of spinoffs such as Fighter's History and Trio the Punch, but I would definitely love a real Karnov 2.
Data East's licenses seem to be all over the place nowaday, and probably easy to access, but I'm not sure what it would take to develop a new game using them. I'm a huge fan of Karnov personally, so it's definitely something I personally would love to work on. 😛

Little Samson I think is a perfect example. Looking at the game's own predecessor (Cocoron) which was very unfocused, Samson definitely managed to tighten things up and find a great balance in the way the game encourages you to use different characters without ever forcing you to do so.
I think it still needs that final little push though, to reach the Mega Man territory it was going for. The mouse trivializing boss fights has to go, and the stages overall could be a bit more challenging and probably lose the confusing world map in the favor of something either SMB3 or MM style.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

Being a sequel or part of an established franchise often detracts from a game, since you end up drawing comparisons rather than appreciating standalone games for their own merit. So I almost never wish for sequels to any of my favorite games or media.

As far as the franchise question, though, I think a Gamera game for the NES would've been sick. The 8-bit Godzilla offerings leave a lot to be desired, so I wonder how Gamera would've fared. B-tier games for B-tier kaiju classics, or something unexpectedly awesome?

-CasualCart

1731875647_GameraNES.jpg.213d8fa0e861e889680290d3fb37573a.jpg

• Like 2

Doki Doki Panic (as Doki Doki Panic.)

SMB3 doesn't count, and even though many little details of the game were absorbed into the SMB franchise, there was a quirky, non-Mario nature to the game that's never been replicated because, well, it wasn't actually a "Mario" game from initial design.  I'd kind of like to see a sequel that would be a real successor to the first game and also use the original IP.

Edited by RH

Batman deserved a better one than Return of the Joker. ROTJ isn't a terrible game, but it's definitely got some annoying aspects and doesn't have the smooth flow of the original. Someone did a hack of Shadow of the Ninja as a Batman game that was pretty good, actually.

Gradius II came out in Japan, but I always felt it should have had a North American release. It's the best of the 8-bit portion of that series. You can buy repros of it.

A Kickle Cubicle sequel would have been cool, have a series like how the Lolo games came about. In the case of games like that, I want the original gameplay, but more puzzles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Batman deserved a better one than Return of the Joker. ROTJ isn't a terrible game, but it's definitely got some annoying aspects and doesn't have the smooth flow of the original. Someone did a hack of Shadow of the Ninja as a Batman game that was pretty good, actually.

Agreed. Batman The Movie is one of SunSoft's better NES titles, and I would have loved a sequel more in the same vein. Return of the Joker is flashy, but like you said - it has its issues.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

You can buy repros of it.

Or you could just buy the original cartridge. It's not even expensive.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Return of the Joker is flashy, but like you said - it has its issues.

It's gorgeous to look at, but the cheap deaths and need to inch along kills much of the fun. I only own it because someone sent it to me by accident (I ordered something else.)

The snow level in particular is awful.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Or you could just buy the original cartridge. It's not even expensive.

True, but I was thinking of those who didn't have an adapter or Famicom/Famiclone to play it on. Or those who just don't collect Famicom, but are wiling to buy a repro (admittedly a small subset of collectors.)

Edited by Tulpa

I wish the Spartan X (Kung Fu) sequel made it to America. 

I agree with He-Man and ThunderCats. Those could have been badass NES games. Little Samson as well, but a sequel would have been next gen given how late it came out. 

49 minutes ago, Link said:

I agree with He-Man

MotU was more early-mid 80s.  Cartoon was over by 85, and by 87 the last of figures were released and the live action movie flopped.  So right as the NES was really taking off, interest in the He-Man brand was waning.  Like that other thread asking why no TMNT N64 games, timing was just wrong. 

If anything an NES game could have been made off the He-Man the New Adventures (yuck), so maybe it is best we didn't get that game.

Lots of cool ideas here. Just kind of clarifying that I'm not thinking "what if it had happened back in the day", but I'm trying to gauge interest for possible opportunities for new games. Without saying too much, Jay and Silent Bob has opened up some new doors.

• Like 5

On 6/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, toma said:

If it were possible to land a license to develop a sequel or spin-off to an existing franchise, what would you guys want to see? Asking for a friend.

Heh, the whole reason I'm making Halcyon is because I wanted a good Blaster Master sequel. It was originally going to be an unofficial in-universe prequel, but I got scared off by the new Blaster Master re-releases still using the IP.

On 6/24/2020 at 3:49 PM, Sumez said:

can only say I'm really jealous... 

Yup. Agreed.