IGNORED

Poll: For how long do you typically play a game you enjoy?

RH

When you play a game, when do you tend to stop playing it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. When you play a game, when do you tend to stop playing it?

• I play through about half of a game and move on. My backlog is to big.
    • I play through most of a game, get close to the end, and often move on. By that point I've usually lost interest.
    • If I'm enjoying the game, I finish it.
    • Love it or hate it, I made a commitment and I'm no quitter. I will finish it.
    • I finish my games and then, if there's more to collect or do, I will +100%
    • I don't play many games, but when I do I play it, 100% it, look for exploits, and will learn to speedrun it. If I play it, I will obsess over it.

I've been gaming since 1984 on the family Atari.  Eventually games were made where they had a hard ending, or they'd have an ending story and then start over with a harder mode like Legend of Zelda or the SMB games.

However, as a kid I was never really good at most of the games and rarely, if ever, beat most of them.  Fast forward into adulthood and even though I've loved MANY games, I've probably finished only 5% of all I've played.  In fact, I can probably count all the games I've finished on all my digits and all the games I've 100% (where that's an option) on one hand.

So, just how far do you tend to play a game you enjoy?

I feel obligated to beat most games, even when they're bad. I have a backlog, but if I just taste everything and don't beat anything nothing is ever getting cleared from that backlog. Honestly, I kind of like beating bad games every once in a while, in a "there is no light without darkness" kind of way.

• Like 1

If I like the game, I'll probably beat it, unless it gets really hard by the end.
But the only game that I remember this happening was Shinobi on 3DS.

If a game doesn't click or I don't like it, the chances of beating it get very low.
I was looking forward to Astral Chain but it just didn't click with me and so I went to play something else and I don't know when I'll get back to it.

3 minutes ago, Galdius said:

If I like the game, I'll probably beat it, unless it gets really hard by the end.

If a game doesn't click or I don't like it, the chances of beating it get very low.
I was looking forward to Astral Chain but it just didn't click with me and so I went to play something else and I don't know when I'll get back to it.

This is me and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  I've picked it up a second time recently and I still can't get out of the world where your in the giant guardian (or whatever the creatures are called.)  It's a fun story, beautiful world, but I just can't get into the gaming mechanic.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

This is me and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  I've picked it up a second time recently and I still can't get out of the world where your in the giant guardian (or whatever the creatures are called.)  It's a fun story, beautiful world, but I just can't get into the gaming mechanic.

I still have to play XC 2.
I bought it but I never get into the mood for it.
I beat XC X on the WiiU and enjoyed it but those games are very long.

1 minute ago, Galdius said:

I still have to play XC 2.
I bought it but I never get into the mood for it.
I beat XC X on the WiiU and enjoyed it but those games are very long.

Same here, and Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is one of my favorite games of all time. Loved X as well, put over 150 hours into it, but for whatever reason, my special edition of XC2 is still unopened. 

Just now, Nightowljrm said:

Same here, and Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is one of my favorite games of all time. Loved X as well, put over 150 hours into it, but for whatever reason, my special edition of XC2 is still unopened. 

I put a little over 200 hours into XC2 and still couldn’t unlock all the unique blades of complete the group missions. Dragon Quest XI feels like it could be a similar length for with all the side quest. 

Just now, themisfit138 said:

I put a little over 200 hours into XC2 and still couldn’t unlock all the unique blades of complete the group missions. Dragon Quest XI feels like it could be a similar length for with all the side quest. 

Oh, man. You just reminded me - I need to finish Dragon Quest XI too. (It was after I got distracted from playing this when I decided to be more dedicated to 100%ing games). I beat it, but there's still a lot to do for the platinum trophy. I heard it takes about 120 hours, I think I'm roughly 70 hours in.

Depends on the platform, but for longer games (usually PC games), I'll play until I stop enjoying it. I'm choosy about games, so I usually pick well.

NES games and those ilk I'll give it a go until I start to get tired of it (usually after losing my last life), but then give it another go a day or two later. I tend to not use continues, so I'll play until game over.

When I was a kid I would pick up and put down games without much thought. I was less concerned with getting to the end and more interested in exploring the levels/worlds/etc and having fun. As a result there were very few games from my childhood that I beat without using cheats.

But now if I start a game I almost always finish it unless it is awful (and even then, I usually will finish). If it's a game I really enjoyed and 100% is feasible then I will go for that too. But if it requires a second playthrough I usually won't bother.

Only  two games in recent memory I didn't finish:

Paper Mario for Wii U, and it's mostly because my save file corrupted and I didn't care enough to restart it even though I wasn't too far into it.

Kingdom Hearts HD for PS3, just really couldn't get into this game at all. Probably would have loved it if I played it back in the day, but felt really dated to me a few years ago when I tried.

• Like 1

Yeah I am absolutely guilty of starting games and at some point getting distracted by life or another game or something and never getting back to it.  Who was it recently that made the comment about needing a game option that tells you what the hell you were doing after you haven’t played for so long?

8 hours ago, Galdius said:

I never knew that Shinobi on 3DS was really difficult, but I very specifically remember banging my head against the wall trying to beat Shinobi on PS2. It was quite good, but definitely rage-inducing. But I'm a masochist so I eventually beat it.

If I really enjoy a game, I will either finish it and start a new file just to complete it faster/more competently or just finish it and not go back to it for a while. Some good examples of the multiple playthoughs would be that I've put at least 30+ hours each into The Messenger, Blaster Master Zero 1 and 2, Shantae Half-Genie Hero, Sonic Mania, Lightening Force, and Link's Awakening.

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I never knew that Shinobi on 3DS was really difficult, but I very specifically remember banging my head against the wall trying to beat Shinobi on PS2. It was quite good, but definitely rage-inducing. But I'm a masochist so I eventually beat it.

Shinobi on 3DS has a HUGE difficulty spike on the last boss. The rest of the game is ok, not very hard at all but the last boss ... I didn’t have the patience to beat him.

5 hours ago, Galdius said:

Shinobi on 3DS has a HUGE difficulty spike on the last boss. The rest of the game is ok, not very hard at all but the last boss ... I didn’t have the patience to beat him.

They must have been inspired by the PS2 game because it also had a huge difficulty spike for the final boss. Although I found the rest of the game challenging as well.