IGNORED

Anyone collect pokemon cards?

Fryer64

Recently been getting back to  collecting pokemon cards !

Anyone into collecting pokemon cards? Would love to have a few pals to discuss the game with, either whats good in the meta, maybe trade and buy cards from. 

Reach Out if that's you I would love to talk and have fun with collecting the cards. Old cards, new cards, but anything except for like the tops movie cards. 

I'm not much of a fan of the Facebook groups. . But being that a lot of you guys are from Nintendo age like I am I would love to hear from you because you are probably passionate about the cards

Let me know PM me . Or rather post a message on this thread and send me a message just so I know that the messages are coming through and I don't skip past them in my email stay safe everyone, I am just getting over coronavirus and I thought it was going to kill me. (A bit traumatic to say that) but sitting at home for 2 and 1/2 Weeks . Isn't that fun and it's not what it's cracked out to be. Sorry for going off subject, message and comment and let's talk some cards@

-Fryer64

So I quit but still have a few nice cards.  I'd love to trade for games I'd someone collects em 

Edited by Fryer64
Math is hard

2 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

I collect fairly seriously and played both the TCG and VGC competitively for years. I'm also a certified Professor. Would be cool to have a small group of collectors here, maybe we can go about making a club for it.

That would be amazing!  I'm imagining that we probably wouldn't do it here because it's not really the genre, perhaps like a Facebook group? Sage Pokemon Club? Does that have a ring to it?

11 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

There is actually a literal section of the site called Clubs for exactly this purpose, random, unrelated topics that only people who choose to see them can do so. It's at the top under Browse.

Do you play the game or just collect for it? As I said I do both, as well as VGC.

I did not know that was a thing, would they need to be invited in the club or could people just look at the club on a thread? I'm not 100% sure what that would look like . I would love the idea of it not being private,  but I don't know if that's possible. Hello Florida getting used to the new site, which I honestly should have done months ago. If we can make that happen we should definitely do that and make the club!

Edit: Also I am a collector, the last time I really played a competitive game was all the way back in like HeartGold SoulSilver, I just like collecting stuff

Edited by Fryer64

I play online and collect cards. It's hard to actively collect bc the sets go in as out of rotation so fast. I have most of the baseset and jungle cards I want but I'm always looking up upgrade. One set I dont have that I'd love to get would be the Neo Genesis set. I stopped collecting as a kid right as those were released in English. 

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I wouldn't mind maybe someday doing the original first or second sets from back in the late 90s.

I use to collect them way back when they came out here. I stopped around 3-4 sets in when I took a break and went to yugioh. 

I pulled like every holo but him. Buying packs is too much like gambling, so I just buy singles now of what I do play.

• 9 months later...

I’ve been on the fence about getting into these, because I genuinely like the artwork and the franchise overall and I tried finding some videos on YouTube about cool sets, cool variants of cards, cool promos, history, etc. but it’s been overrun with losers - I mean totally smart investors adding these assets to their portfolios - just like game collecting has. I don’t know if my jaded heart can handle this every time I interact with the Pokemon TCG community:

DA0BE5FD-3DFD-4CD0-A651-6F1962962099.jpeg

945AF08A-5390-404B-8402-650EA8E5559B.jpeg

1BB662B3-626F-44E0-816B-D8521FF44F69.jpeg

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 1

My dad used to buy my sister Pokémon cards when we were kids. He got her a big box of packs on Christmas once. She would collect all of the holograms in acrylic cases.

One day when we were older she lost interest and just gave them all to me. I wonder with the cards regaining popularity if she would want them back now

• Haha 1

Got really overly into it again in 2020. Had some fun with it. Problem being is that this next set has over 100+ "Shiny" pokemon, and with how distribution went and how product was not available in most of the latter half of the year I think I'm out on new stuff.  A set that potentially has that many money cards with how people seem to hoard and buy I just don't like how my finances would go. They seem to be doing these sets with more frequency and its painful on the wallet. Switching way down on the cards for now. Got some of the retro video game stuff I sold off years ago back and a few new things so I've got some solid collecting hobbies right now. Worst case scenario,  I pretend  next set doesn't exist or don't collect it. 

But yeah them old cards for sure look them up, some YouTuber did a video a few months back and the old cards got stupid expensive. I think they have gone down but they are still inflated, or maybe they will stay that way I'm not much for speculation. 

9 minutes ago, phart010 said:

My dad used to buy my sister Pokémon cards when we were kids. He got her a big box of packs on Christmas once. She would collect all of the holograms in acrylic cases.

One day when we were older she lost interest and just gave them all to me. I wonder with the cards regaining popularity if she would want them back now

Look them up on Ebay first ;P

1 hour ago, Fryer64 said:

Worst case scenario,  I pretend  next set doesn't exist or don't collect it.

Or just buy it later. Don't worry, with the videos that @The Strangest posted, it seems like you'll be able to get them a couple of years from now for much lower then retail when these smart investors need to liquidate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sg17 said:

Or just buy it later. Don't worry, with the videos that @The Strangest posted, it seems like you'll be able to get them a couple of years from now for much lower then retail when these smart investors need to liquidate.

I pretty well liquidated my old stuff when prices got insane. Thus being able to buy back my old video game grails that I regretted selling. Still more I could sell but nothing moves faster then the old cards. 

I felt a weird nostalgia back in late 2019 like I should own all those cards and I should just buy em up because I was strangely upset at myself for not keeping them around from when I was younger. It was super fun for a while, 2020 hit, weird price increase, so shelving it for now. Question is to sell what remains to go get another grail (video game or coin collection related) or just keep em around . I think I'm going to just keep the ones I like vs everything. If this hobby has taught me anything it's that trying to collect everything is either  super unfulfilling  or best done over a very long period of time and when it makes sense. At the present time, like I said with that next set coming out being probably the most hyped set ever (please note the timestamp of 1/31/21 as I'm sure this will be one upped) and with how I've been collecting it's been full sets. 

Missing the next set would leave a sort of black eye on a complete set string that runs from the start of sword and shield.

I think I had my fun with it and in a case of complete 0% foresight 100% hindsight got lucky enough to get out while making money, although that was never the intention. 

I hadn't followed video games and the types of stuff i would collect very closely so it came as a surprise that the things I got rid of stayed around the same price. I'll need to research the game market and see If its just the weird things I had that didn't blow up or if games/systems/etc didnt blow up too. 

1 hour ago, Fryer64 said:

Missing the next set would leave a sort of black eye on a complete set string that runs from the start of sword and shield.

I think I had my fun with it and in a case of complete 0% foresight 100% hindsight got lucky enough to get out while making money, although that was never the intention.

Patience is key. You seem to have it so you'll have no problem 🙂

I'll be completely surprised if modern Pokemon TCG sets will sell for more then retail a couple of years from now. As you've said yourself, it's hyped, a lot of people are going to buy it. Most of them will lose interest and want to sell it someday. If you'll still have interest then, you'll be able to get it cheaper.

You also have other collecting hobbies. Maybe every once in a while the unlikely thing happens and something that is hyped as collectible today will keep it's price or even increase. But on average, most of these stuff will lose value. So since you can't know in advance what direction any of it will go, I believe the safest bet is to wait.

Of course, if you really want it now that's a whole other topic. But if time is not a big issue, and you are only worried that they'll be harder to get for a reasonable price in the future, then imo they will actually get cheaper and easier to get as the year pass.

I bought a sealed Scyther Jungle booster pack at the 2019 Boston Fan Expo for $30, and my friend talked me out of buying another because he thought that was "a little pricey"......fast forward 16 months later and you can barely get them for under $200 anymore lol.....oh well, at least I have one

2 minutes ago, VegaVegas said:

How about playing these cards in the first place?? I never played them myself so I never bothered. Considering that then you probably want to gather those that are strongest for gameplay

They were sort of fun to play if you had some locals around your age. There is an online game but that doesn't do it for me. And in person stuff is super difficult right now. 

6 minutes ago, VegaVegas said:

How about playing these cards in the first place?? I never played them myself so I never bothered. Considering that then you probably want to gather those that are strongest for gameplay

Grab the tcg game boy game, its pretty good

• Like 1