IGNORED

Anyone collect pokemon cards?

Fryer64

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

A buddy of a coworker said he “found them in his grandmothers attic” 

Wouldn't the gloss on those have more or less fused the cards together anyway?

I sold a random pack of Fossil that I had at a video game show for $85 last fall.   Found it in a random box that had other Pokemon stuff in it that I have no clue where it came from (might have been a mystery box from NA or something). 

A guy that seemed to know Pokemon bought it (and he haggled me down from the $100 I had on it), so I assumed it was real.

7 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Wouldn't the gloss on those have more or less fused the cards together anyway?

I sold a random pack of Fossil that I had at a video game show for $85 last fall.   Found it in a random box that had other Pokemon stuff in it that I have no clue where it came from (might have been a mystery box from NA or something). 

A guy that seemed to know Pokemon bought it (and he haggled me down from the $100 I had on it), so I assumed it was real.

I passed on them. Spidey sense was too strong

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Always follow your heart. 

My heart would have gambled 500$ but thats all its allowed. 

-mint packs from grannys attic (no dust? Anywhere?)

-inconsistent factory finishing

-no idea what they are worth but first offer is lowball

-100$ a pack not a decent deal for quick flip?

ps Im ok with not making 100k on a gamble

7 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

My heart would have gambled 500$ but thats all its allowed. 

-mint packs from grannys attic (no dust? Anywhere?)

-inconsistent factory finishing

-no idea what they are worth but first offer is lowball

-100$ a pack not a decent deal for quick flip?

ps Im ok with not making 100k on a gamble

Doesn't really make sense that he'd have 1 of each of those from that long ago buried in the attack. Also, the wrap looks too loose. I'd say fake, and even if not, they most likely would have weighed them if they knew that price was a lowball.

2 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Doesn't really make sense that he'd have 1 of each of those from that long ago buried in the attack. Also, the wrap looks too loose. I'd say fake, and even if not, they most likely would have weighed them if they knew that price was a lowball.

He had random amounts of each, prob about 30 total packs with at least 8 fossill and 4-6 team rocket. 

Also had 3 booster packs? Starter decks? Cardboard box ones that had creases not shown. Blue, similar time frame.

The more I think about it, the more confident and secure I am  in my decision. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 12:13 AM, Strange said:

I’ve been on the fence about getting into these, because I genuinely like the artwork and the franchise overall and I tried finding some videos on YouTube about cool sets, cool variants of cards, cool promos, history, etc. but it’s been overrun with losers - I mean totally smart investors adding these assets to their portfolios - just like game collecting has. I don’t know if my jaded heart can handle this every time I interact with the Pokemon TCG community:

DA0BE5FD-3DFD-4CD0-A651-6F1962962099.jpeg

945AF08A-5390-404B-8402-650EA8E5559B.jpeg

1BB662B3-626F-44E0-816B-D8521FF44F69.jpeg

A lot of these videos piss me off. Dumb thumbnails and clickbait bullshit. 

• 3 weeks later...

My kids brought me a few of their Pokemon cards that might have some value.  Can anyone let me know what to look for to confirm whether they might be real or not.  I have little to no knowledge of Pokemon cards so I really don't know where to start.  

I have a Latias & Latios GX #170 which Price Charting lists as pretty expensive and a Charizard VMax 74 which is also listed as a decent amount.  I can post pictures later after work, but was curious if anyone here is really into the collecting aspect of these cards.  

Thanks.   

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I don't know anything about Pokemon but Ken Goldin and some other guy broke open a $360,000 box. After they finished with this one, the guy went to his house and got his personal box which they also broke (not in this video).

Ew, Logan Paul. Disgusting.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

@The Count @RegularGuyGamer bump for evolving skies.

im picking up fusion strike sealed stuff probably won’t reach evolving skies but thinking it will coat tail.

also picking up lost origins sealed stuff.

Depending on your costs, that could be pretty sweet. Booster packs of FS and LO are $4. If you get your hands on sealed Evolving Skies, however...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

@The Count @RegularGuyGamer bump for evolving skies.

im picking up fusion strike sealed stuff probably won’t reach evolving skies but thinking it will coat tail.

also picking up lost origins sealed stuff.

I got 2 booster boxes of fusion strike for $130 each and I'm holding them. I actually think evolving skies has a good chance of a reprint. Roaring skies for a reprint wayyy late into the cycle. Not to say it won't stay expensive but there's a chance you'll be able to get booster boxes at retail bc The Pokemon Company is stocking the vending machine weekly with ES ETBs apparently. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I got 2 booster boxes of fusion strike for $130 each and I'm holding them. I actually think evolving skies has a good chance of a reprint. Roaring skies for a reprint wayyy late into the cycle. Not to say it won't stay expensive but there's a chance you'll be able to get booster boxes at retail bc The Pokemon Company is stocking the vending machine weekly with ES ETBs apparently. 

Fellas. @The Count

fusion strike over night 🚀 grabbed one before I went to bed last night @$200 not the Best Buy buy I feel still a decent buy.

plus the local Walmart had a shelf full of 3pack hanger boxes (not the blisters) I got ‘em all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

Bb of fusion strike are at 250 now lol

Looks like it finally sold out on pokemon center

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/699-81916/pokemon-tcg-sword-and-shield-fusion-strike-booster-display-box-36-packs

It was there as recent as 2 weeks ago. I'm not still counting out reprints of either of these. The standard SV rotation isn't even close to being over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Looks like it finally sold out on pokemon center

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/699-81916/pokemon-tcg-sword-and-shield-fusion-strike-booster-display-box-36-packs

It was there as recent as 2 weeks ago. I'm not still counting out reprints of either of these. The standard SV rotation isn't even close to being over. 

Would it be out of the ordinary for FS to get a reprint this late?

Roaring skies got a reprint an entire year after the last set from the XY era came out, I think it was 2017 or maybe even Q1 2018 so that was almost 2 years after Evolutions was out. I honestly think FS is fine but Evolving skies is going to get a reprint just bc of what happened at the factory with those employees stealing tens of thousands of alt art rates. 

I could be totally wrong tho. Idk I just know the last time sets got really poor print runs TCG fixed it eventually. FS print run went for several years at this point so I think it's safer to hold than ES. If I had any ES booster boxes rn they'd be on the auction block.  

Now I'm digging deep into my mind and I think flash fire got a reprint really late too. I could be misremembering for another set tho. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

@RegularGuyGamer I think fusion strike was also part of the theft.

how do you feel about brilliant stars amd silver tempest?

imo the charizards could carry brilliant stars on its own. But there isn’t much else there. Silver tempest is similar with really only the Lugia carrying that set. 

imo lost origins is 2nd only to evolving skies.

Edited by skinnygrinny
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

@RegularGuyGamer I think fusion strike was also part of the theft.

how do you feel about brilliant stars amd silver tempest?

imo the charizards could carry brilliant stars on its own. But there isn’t much else there. Silver tempest is similar with really only the Lugia carrying that set. 

imo lost origins is 2nd only to evolving skies.

Oh yeah I got 4 booster boxes of LO for $106 each. That giritina is going to be a grail for the foreseeable future. 

I actually just have been trying to get booster boxes for as close to distributor prices as I can for the last several months, maybe like 6-8 months. Distributors get bb for just under $80 when they buy a pallet so typically they will fire sell the last couple boxes on the pallet to make room for new stock. 

I agree tho. I think the Lugia from ST is undervalued right now and will be a chase card for years to come. 

I like brilliant stars, I just couldn't get a bb cheap enough to make it worth a hold imo. That Charizard is under rated. There has been such Charizard fatigue in the market. I think w these goofy sets they're printing now, people will appreciate the BS zard more.

For me tho it's all about the price I can buy em at. I used to be able to get bb for $85-90 in cash from my local card store before COVID. Now you don't budge under $100 on any box, most of the time they don't go under $125 so I had to hawk eBay for best offers and big distributors cutting prices as their inventory fluctuates.

• Like 2