IGNORED

Dining out/takeout in the brave new world of corona.

Tabonga

If you live in an area where dining in at restaurants is now verbotten - are you getting takeout in lieu of going to a restaurant?  More often, less often?

Typically Mrs. Tabonga and I would go out to lunch on Saturdays and breakfast on Sundays.  We would occasionally go out during the  week (or sometimes get takeout.)

The closing of  dining in just started earlier this week in Colorado - so yesterday I went to a good Chinese place near us (The Sidewok Cafe) and brought home family dinner for three (we like to order extra for a second meal later in the week),  Today we are going to get breakfast from a place called "Ruperts on the Edge" - which is located on the shores of that world reknown tourist mecca Sloan Lake*.

We are going to step up our take out meals by one or two a week to help support (at least a little)  some of our favorite restaurants.

*As bereft as Colorado is in regards to open bodies of water we have to make do with what we have.  (Sloan Lake was accidently created when a farmer in 1866 dug a well and hit an aquifer.   It is also called Sloan's Lake or Sloans Lake. Which reinforces what an important body of water it is since it gets 3 names instead of one.)

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

My wife and I usually go out to sit down places on sat/sun, they are all closed down now and doing take out only. I’m not a fan of take out, it’s usually cold and or soggy by the time you get it home and it’s just not a good experience. So needless to say we will probably be just cooking at home for the foreseeable future until we can sit down and eat again.

Yup, fully on board with ordering more takeout from favored local eateries. If the pizza place down the road closes the world will be bereft of a particularly good steak and cheese grinder. Tastes like the griddle has never been cleaned (in a good way), with grease that soaks into your bones and makes you feel all warm inside... and your left arm hurt.  

• Like 2

Got some takeout for my boys birthday yesterday.  Other than that we’ve been exclusively cooking at home, but we usually do anyways.  On an interesting related note, all 3 of the Chinese Restaurants in our town just completely closed up shop.  sad since none of them were really sit down places anyways. 

4 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Got some takeout for my boys birthday yesterday.  Other than that we’ve been exclusively cooking at home, but we usually do anyways.  On an interesting related note, all 3 of the Chinese Restaurants in our town just completely closed up shop.  sad since none of them were really sit down places anyways. 

That may be related to another trend that I recently read about - a lot of Chinese restaurants are apparently closing since the folks that started them are retiring and the next generation is often more interested in pursuing other endeavors.  So maybe the enforced closing just pushed them towards that decision.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I cook my own meals, and have shopped for the supplies to do so for at least a week or two at a time. 

Same here.   We're still stocked on freezer and non-perishables, and have stepped up our perishables to a two week supply instead of the usual one.

But at the same time we're trying to be more cognizant of the local places that are taking a beating and getting carryout a little more than normal.   Some of that is wanting to support, and some is keeping things a bit "fresh" at the house so to speak.

I manage a takeout restaurant. It is survival mode right now. We need all the support we can get. Talking to my restaurant brothers out there, business has actually been really good, all things considering, where they can remain open while operating with only a core staff. Some have been getting decent enough sales to start slowly bringing back their hourly staff!

Support your local restaurants! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2yo half the time on my own, and have stuck to just cooking at home when I have him as of late (compared to hitting the town a bit on the weekends normally) - damn all the meals and snacks makes for a ton of work with a toddler solo between the cooking/cleaning/kiddo management (feels neverending!). 

Maybe we will give takeout a go tonight to support locally, I haven't put a ton of thought into that as I've been in clean-everything-and-distance-ourselves mode.  I'm thinking car side to go would be the best option especially if I can order/pay ahead (hoping it's that streamlined).

On a side note, this weekend we have had the opportunity to DEEP clean our home (and toys) trying to not get too stir crazy.  Off to hit the floorboards...

We are well stocked for cooking at home, but I have made a point of getting lunch take out from the local Chinese restaurant and ordering from the hole in the wall pizza place that takes too long under normal circumstances. (By far best pizza in town though so don't want to see them close)

2 minutes ago, zombiemicrowave said:

One thing I have seen a lot is people suggesting purchasing gift cards from local restaurants to help them now and to dine a later.  🙂 

A big drawback to that is if  the place goes under - then you are out of luck on the money spent for the gift card.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, fsped09 said:

We've been avoiding eating out. Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I'm in a better safe than sorry mood right now. I suppose we can see how the next few weeks go. 

That's definitely understandable too.

Any of the carryout places the last few days have had the taped off marks on the floor to keep people properly distanced.    Aside from the Mexican place near me, there's maybe one other person in the lobby besides me when I've gotten carryout.

We've cut back on the take out and have been buying groceries in fewer intervals to limit our outings. Gonna give it at least a few weeks to see where we're at. Some bonus side effects are saving money and eating healthier. We don't have a lot of 'local joints' in the immediate area anyway - mostly big chains. 

Moderator · Posted
3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

That's definitely understandable too.

Any of the carryout places the last few days have had the taped off marks on the floor to keep people properly distanced.    Aside from the Mexican place near me, there's maybe one other person in the lobby besides me when I've gotten carryout.

I haven't even been out in over a week. NY is taking a beating, my county in particular. Maybe its because we're testing more, but the numbers are really high here. I don't want to run the risk of having it or getting my family sick.

We haven't done takeout. We stocked up about 2-3 weeks of food, which isn't much more than we normally stock. We freeze a lot of stuff.

That way we could stay home as much as possible over the next 3 weeks, since my partner is out of work since her school closed. 

After we run out, we'll make another trip and get another 2-3 weeks. No real reason to get takeout in our case, and honestly following a better safe than sorry approach. I have immune issues and Corona is the last thing i need to be dealing with.  

Edited by Magus