IGNORED

Gamestop store closing tracker

http://gsclosing.blogspot.com/

Handy webpage someone linked over on the CheapAssGamer forums. It has a list of the current Gamestops scheduled to be closed within the next few weeks that are running liquidation sales. The list isn't complete, it includes the Brockton, MA store but not the Taunton Galleria mall or Bridgewater locations which are also shutting down. YMMV of course on leftover inventory and current mark-downs.

• Like 1

It's definitely in a death spiral. It's like those pop up Halloween Stores that show up around Oct, GS is a seasonal entity, and the season of buying nearly full priced used physical games is coming to an end. They may be able to survive as a more intimate retro game store with a much smaller footprint, but I don't know.

Edited by Startyde

Amazingly, only one store in my entire state has ever been closed according to that entire blog. Meanwhile the state next to it has tons of closings all over. Man though, i'd hate to see my local GS close, it's practically the only place in town where i can find used games at decent prices, though the prices for new games suck ass.

I'm an actual investor in Gamestop stock with more than I care to admit this point and the store closings are long overdue.  It's merely consolidation and the company still has a very strong financial sheet with tons of liquid cash.  They aren't in danger of going entirely under and with the release of PS5 / next gen Xbox that are both physical and backwards compatible, I believe they easily make it through the next generation at least.  Now 5+ or 10+ years?  That could be another story I agree.

The latest earnings report reiterated two points:

1) Close down unprofitable stores or stores that are minimally profitable with overlap.  (I.e. if two stores in a 5 mile radius that are minimally profitable, close one and force traffic to one location).

2) Reduce inventory on hand.  Effect of this should be more frequent sales and boosting revenue to help buy time for next 3-4 quarters until next gen is here.  This one I agree is a bit risky... it gives you an illusionary effect of higher revenue but will barely impact profits.  If you're blowing out $10 games at $5 just to sell them it also eliminates inventory that you can sell later.

Time will tell, but I don't see the death spiral as imminent. 

5 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

So I'm curious, when the close a store down, are the clearance sales any good, or do they just ship the good inventory to the remaining stores and just discount the stuff no one wants anyway?  

It could be different with Gamestop, but typically the store sells off it's current inventory. Store closing sales typically aren't where you get the best deals at first. The store will jack everything back up to full price before applying the store-wide discount. You usually need to wait until the store has raised the discount, but by then most of the best stuff is gone.

Just now, Teh_Lurv said:

It could be different with Gamestop, but typically the store sells off it's current inventory. Store closing sales typically aren't where you get the best deals at first. The store will jack everything back up to full price before applying the store-wide discount. You usually need to wait until the store has raised the discount, but by then most of the best stuff is gone.

It also depends on vendor contracts, like when Toys R Us went through their closing of all stores, their hands were tied for how deeply they could discount certain brands (LEGO, for instance).

Just now, Teh_Lurv said:

More or less what I expected.  It's been a long time since I've found a good deal at any store closing liquidation sale.  

I used to work at a game store, but I lost that job now that things are like they are. However, I'm currently working at a liquor store which got me thinking... What about a game store that sells something that would make people want to get off their butts? Coffee? Alcohol? Lottery?... Hookers? I think Gamestop's tried something like that by making lounging areas, but I don't know how successful they are.

Worked for arcades, now called "barcades" or "beercades" and they've seemed alright.

I've joked about this before, but how about a game store that delivers pizza? Buy SMB3, a large pizza, and get a free 2 liter Coke. 

I've got dreams, man.

4 minutes ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

I used to work at a game store, but I lost that job now that things are like they are. However, I'm currently working at a liquor store which got me thinking... What about a game store that sells something that would make people want to get off their butts? Coffee? Alcohol? Lottery?... Hookers? I think Gamestop's tried something like that by making lounging areas, but I don't know how successful they are.

Worked for arcades, now called "barcades" or "beercades" and they've seemed alright.

I've joked about this before, but how about a game store that delivers pizza? Buy SMB3, a large pizza, and get a free 2 liter Coke. 

I've got dreams, man.

Theres your million dollar idea!

10 hours ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

That I just squandered posting it up out there for the world to see. lol

If I only had the startup. 😛 hahaha

A friend suggested something similar to me several years back, floating the idea of a general restaurant/hang out spot that featured video games to play (or buy) as well as space for other types of gaming as well.  Nothing ever came of it, but so long as the prices weren't crazy, I'd definitely spend time becoming a regular at a place like that.

It's really going to depend on if I am able to finally get me a better job this year. I really want to get into collecting CIB SNES games, as it's my favorite retro console, but that just depends on if things improve this year. If not and I'm still stuck at my sucky job, then it's just continuing with PS4 and PS3 collecting. 

People saying that GME stock will bounce back but I don’t see it. Can’t make money reselling games if physical games aren’t going to be a thing anymore. No one is buying enough yoshi dolls and think geek crap to keep them going. 

Investors putting in money now for when they have a short term surge when next gen consoles release and sell The stock before its falls down again and GME won’t recover again after. 

Oof...I gotta poor one out for my local store that closed at the start of last year...I'd been going to that place since I was a kid. I was kinda sad to see it go...end of an era you know?

It's freaking weird how the one nearby in the local mall stayed open though 😕 The mall isn't exactly jumping with people...and neither is that tiny Gamestop...