IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

22 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I'm taking some for the team. I may try one of the Ultima games next, though.

Which one are you interested in? We could either share the load or maybe I could try one of the other RPGs instead. There should still be an AD&D, M&M and Wizardry game left.

Defenders of Dynatron City - quick game once you know how to play. Despite what I said originally in 2012, it's better to use Radium Dog for the final boss (rather than Megawatt Girl). I noticed that the record speedrun does that, and that's also what guitarzombie mentioned when he beat it in 2017.

tk9ZBUX.png

On 5/3/2020 at 5:32 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Which one are you interested in? We could either share the load or maybe I could try one of the other RPGs instead. There should still be an AD&D, M&M and Wizardry game left.

I'm making my way through Ultima 3 atm, should be done this week at some point hopefully.

• Thanks 1

Prince of Persia is done. The idea behind this game reminds me a lot of Dragon's Lair, i.e. a sort of cinematic platformer that features smooth animations and that heavily relies on rote memorization. To make matters even worse there is an overall time limit, but thanks to "unlimited" lives and passwords it was possible for me to beat this one without spending days or weeks on learning all the levels by heart. And with those rather stiff controls it was difficult to execute certain jumps or to win against the many enemies. Oftentimes this game really annoyed me since a single mistake could ruin a whole attempt at a level. Sometimes there are even traps that you can't see in advance or you have to do many blind jumps etc. It's really a trial and error type of game. However, it's not bad, even if the NES port is probably inferior to the original. Sometimes I got into a flow and was quite enjoying certain levels, but somewhere around the middle of the game it got incredibly difficult only to get somewhat easier in the last levels. This was weird. Anyway, I had about 15 in-game minutes left to save the princess. But my actual play time was obviously much longer.

Prince of Persia.jpg

18 hours ago, scaryice said:

Defenders of Dynatron City - quick game once you know how to play. Despite what I said originally in 2012, it's better to use Radium Dog for the final boss (rather than Megawatt Girl). I noticed that the record speedrun does that, and that's also what guitarzombie mentioned when he beat it in 2017.

tk9ZBUX.png

I want virtual points for any game beaten with my hard found information :).  I also remember this game being really annoying in the beginning.  All the hitboxes are weird too.  Which upsets me because they also developed my favorite game, Maniac Mansion! 😞

2 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

High Speed

Nice to see you crush that game again!

I was able to beat the last 3 point game, Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum, for the first time without too much trouble. It only took me less than 90 minutes to copy the TAS route and execute it. You can be a little safer and get a couple extra lives, but that doesn't seem necessary once you know it. Questionable platforming aside, it's very easy to go straight to the end when you know what to do, otherwise it's a gigantic maze that requires backtracking and many pointless areas.

Also, I think I might finally be able to remember the difference between Dash Galaxy & Rad Gravity, which I always seem to get confused.

yVEr1O5.png

Edited by scaryice
  • Thanks 1

I should also note that Dash Galaxy was previously beaten by Bimmy Lee every year, along with Wayne Gretzky's Hockey. I don't think he's on VGS, so he wasn't able to continue those streaks. That only leaves Amagon as the one game remaining which has beaten by the same person (yours truly) in all nine years I've been running these threads (2012-19).

There are 28 remaining games which have been beaten by a different person in all nine years. That includes 27 which have already been beaten this year, plus Bill & Ted. It's mostly more popular stuff:

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
3-D Worldrunner Crabmaster2000 gnarblast Baksteen666 WashYourFace pixelsmash bronzeshield ruudos tablew/chairs Kid Dracula
Adventure Island Crabmaster2000 Red DoctorNick cdbblw acromite53 mbd39 Gloves DefaultGen Bearcat-Doug
Adventure Island II Crabmaster2000 Red ExplodedHamster cdbblw MaarioS Seppatoni Gloves Strikezone1 Gaia Gensouki
Adventures of Lolo 8-bit boice WashYourFace capmax tablew/chairs Foochie776 futureman Kid Dracula DMG nerdynebraskan
Alpha Mission Nightowljrm khog143 DoctorNick cdbblw erizisto John198X Bea Iank tablew/chairs Kid Dracula
Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure Crabmaster2000 drclaw411 Sukhov DoctorNick TheMexicanRunner The NES Renegade arnpoly tablew/chairs ???
Blades of Steel Crabmaster2000 Sukhov gutsman004 Swedishgamefreak NESfiend tablew/chairs bimmy lee nerdynebraskan Kid Dracula
Blaster Master WolfAlmighty Dr. Morbis infectedA andrelapse Bea Iank guitarzombie ruudos DefaultGen Kid Dracula
Bubble Bobble Nightowljrm WashYourFace Logo1285 Bea Iank Bearcat-Doug Laketown04 MrPeaPod nerdynebraskan Kid Dracula
Bucky O'Hare Ryan93L NintendoWayne Sidetrakkd ruudos AirVillian MaarioS Kid Dracula John198X CasualCart
Castle of Dragon Nightowljrm WashYourFace gnarblast NESMASTER14 Bea Iank guitarzombie Gloves tablew/chairs Gaia Gensouki
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest Sticky Nightowljrm MegaMartyr NostalgicMachine catfriedrice GsoFly nerdynebraskan Commander Santa fusoyaff2
Circus Caper Crabmaster2000 WashYourFace Enternal DoctorNick tablew/chairs John198X TheLostEyeball bronzeshield nerdynebraskan
Donkey Kong 3 dra600n Dr. Morbis Red Vectrex280996 acromite53 Brock Landers bimmy lee nerdynebraskan Gaia Gensouki
Dragon Warrior II ookii risu khog143 nerdynebraskan tablew/chairs Sukhov John198X bronzeshield Khromak Gaia Gensouki
Dragon Warrior IV Hercules918 khog143 Enternal WashYourFace tablew/chairs John198X ScaryD Khromak Gaia Gensouki
Family Feud monkoftheages Crabmaster2000 WashYourFace tablew/chairs scaryice Daniel Doyce nerdynebraskan Commander Santa Bearcat-Doug
Flintstones 8-bit boice Enternal ruudos tablew/chairs MaarioS guitarzombie Kid Dracula Khromak Gaia Gensouki
Karnov Crabmaster2000 gutsman004 fusoyaff2 guitarzombie SasoriVader Bea Iank Jandrem Gloves Kid Dracula
Popeye Bearcat-Doug Dr. Morbis babywuchki nerdynebraskan WashYourFace NESking80 scaryice Commander Santa Gaia Gensouki
Rollergames TWarwick07 Enternal MrMark0673 Jandrem MaarioS Brock Landers Kid Dracula Strikezone1 mbd39
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters Nin10d0h Wayne Crabmaster2000 BreaKBeatZ CLAYB1RD guitarzombie Loxx O))) Kid Dracula gnarblast MaarioS
Tiny Toon Adventures Danimal Collective Red NESfanatic Swedishgamefreak Quadesta John198X Kid Dracula yojc MaarioS
Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? On1y0ne WashYourFace bimmy lee Commander Santa Bea Iank Daniel Doyce tablew/chairs Maydogg6 arnpoly
Whomp 'Em Ray Bot Crabmaster2000 Sjp5412 nerdynebraskan SasoriVader TheDiningDead TriHart bronzeshield Gaia Gensouki
Wizards & Warriors Bearcat-Doug Redivivus gutsman004 PekoTAS catfriedrice nerdynebraskan bronzeshield Svankmajer Mae247
Xexyz monkoftheages Red DoctorNick guitarzombie Bea Iank Seppatoni ruudos nerdynebraskan Strikezone1
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Bearcat-Doug Hobbes & Shumdez smick Jandrem sage0021 nerdynebraskan ScaryD scaryice Gaia Gensouki
Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

These are exciting developments! It's really nice to see a tough one like High Speed fall, and a couple of new players tackling a couple of the remaining RPGs would be most welcome as well.

I'm now 10-0 in All Pro Basketball. 25 games to go, and I only have to win 11 of them... (although I'm undefeated in each of my last two seasons and haven't had the CPU finish within 30 points of me or lead in the second half yet...)

On 5/3/2020 at 12:32 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Are you still working on Ultima Exodus?

I've played ADD Pool of Radiance before and would rather not slog through that again (it's a pretty fun game for a dork game though).

It looks like no one has claimed Ultima Quest of the Avatar, so I will do that next.

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Ultimate Air Combat is done. Really, really, hard, but definitely a good game.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

I told ya it was good!  I don't remember it being THAT hard aside from a couple of levels.  But I think if you're into these kind of games, this one is probably the best on the system.

13 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

What do you mean about the recording? That's not necessary. Are you going to work on this one?

By recording I mean the only way to prove everyone beat the games and no one cheated is to have it on video. Not to say anyone did, but it could make the challenge feel more impactful. It would be more annoying though and put in a cost barrier, and also this isn't that serious of an event(and the implications of that) so I said infeasible.

I'm going to work on it, and finish it before June. It's looking like that is a good finishing goal for the nes library, before the year halfway point.

43 minutes ago, Gastro said:

By recording I mean the only way to prove everyone beat the games and no one cheated is to have it on video. Not to say anyone did, but it could make the challenge feel more impactful. It would be more annoying though and put in a cost barrier, and also this isn't that serious of an event(and the implications of that) so I said infeasible.

I'm going to work on it, and finish it before June. It's looking like that is a good finishing goal for the nes library, before the year halfway point.

I know you weren't trying to be rude, but it's a bit of an obnoxious position to hold. No one is going to think your win will count "more" than the rest of ours. Good luck with Wizardry II though! I started playing Quest of the Avatar today after reading the huge manual and I'm digging it so far.

I think even video footage can potentially be faked, see the legal battle between Billy Mitchell and Twin Galaxies. I have also heard that some played like to "help" their gameplay a little bit with emulators and then cut everything so together that it seems like they were playing legitimately. If someone wanted to cheat, they would find a way. Or at least that's what I think. The whole system is built on trust. On the flipside, some people would be exluded from this challenge if there were such a high level of entry. Not to mention that recording gameplay footage can sometimes be a pain, imho. It's a bit different from just casually putting on a game and playing for a bit as it requires a whole setup and whatnot.

I looked into the manual of Pool of Radiance and it seemed quite interesting. Of course, it reminds me a lot of Baldurs Gate and the like, which I consider a good thing. I'll give it a try and see if it's up my alley.

• Like 2

It's exciting to see so many players staking out so many games. We're really getting close to the collective clearing of the catalog! I'm now up to 17-0 in All Pro Basketball, but I'll be slowing down for the next few days as I'm working 10-hour days at my job. I should definitely have it done in the next week or so.

Good luck to @bronzeshield, @NESfiend, and @Tablew/chairs on their respective Bases Loaded challenges. I think these four games are the last time-sink sports titles, so it'll be good to have them all off the list very soon.

@guitarzombie

C'mon, dude! You know you want to get a contributor credit, so take down Knight Rider already!

As for Mutant Virus only having a base value of 6 points, don't blame scary. @BeaIank beat that beast on New Year's Day in 2016 and that feat kind of tanked its value for a few years. The points system is definitely fair far more often than not.

• Like 1