IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

1 minute ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've been playing a few other games these past days or weeks, but I will continue with Pirates! or maybe some other shorter game later this week.

I knew you were considering pirates, but didn't realize you took the plunge. Thats a big commitment, and a scary one based on what Daniel said about the win conditions. We got the right guy on it. 

Damn, that list is getting tougher and tougher. Trying to figure out what to play next. Problem is I don't have many carts left on the list. A couple that I do have (top gun 2 and airwolf) I have already tried and failed miserably. Ive got a power pack coming in the mail from gloves, but it will be a little while before it gets here. I'll see if I can find something for in the meantime. 

Shocked how long its been since @nerdynebraskan has checked in. Anyone seen him in other threads?

Edited by NESfiend

39 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Damn, that list is getting tougher and tougher. Trying to figure out what to play next. Problem is I don't have many carts left on the list. A couple that I do have (top gun 2 and airwolf) I have already tried and failed miserably. Ive got a power pack coming in the mail from gloves, but it will be a little while before it gets here. I'll see if I can find something for in the meantime. 

Shocked how long its been since @nerdynebraskan has checked in. Anyone seen him in other threads?

Good call on the power pack. I've always kind of wanted one but there's so few NES games I don't own. Since the Nintendo Age collection tool is gone I don't actually remember but think I am missing 30 licensed carts or so (and 60ish boxes/manuals). I know I don't have Zombie Nation or Krazy Kreatures which are both featured games in the contests this year.

Didn't know nerdy posted anywhere else on the site other than here! But I'm pretty sure I miss out on a lot of posts on the site. I don't know why I feel like that didn't happen as much at Nintendo Age. I never really used the latest posts/topics feature which seemed very popular. I guess I just got better at scouring that site over a decade. 

Unfortunately I didn't get to 8 Eyes today but I will tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take me too long? Looking at the remaining list I will consider Athena (how bad can it be?), Mutant Virus (I know it will be baaad) and Q Bert.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Good call on the power pack. I've always kind of wanted one but there's so few NES games I don't own. Since the Nintendo Age collection tool is gone I don't actually remember but think I am missing 30 licensed carts or so (and 60ish boxes/manuals). I know I don't have Zombie Nation or Krazy Kreatures which are both featured games in the contests this year.

Didn't know nerdy posted anywhere else on the site other than here! But I'm pretty sure I miss out on a lot of posts on the site. I don't know why I feel like that didn't happen as much at Nintendo Age. I never really used the latest posts/topics feature which seemed very popular. I guess I just got better at scouring that site over a decade. 

Unfortunately I didn't get to 8 Eyes today but I will tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take me too long? Looking at the remaining list I will consider Athena (how bad can it be?), Mutant Virus (I know it will be baaad) and Q Bert.

I never planned on getting a power pack, but between the Famicom games (recca and mappy) and zombie nation, I would have had to emulate or buy 3 or 4 repros. @Gloves gave me a stupidly good deal on it and it'll allow me to play all the contest games on original hardware. I have around 500 nes games, but very few of whats left here. Itll make all those available too

With you on scouring the site here. Its harder because there are a lot more options. More topics/threads and fewer people, so stuff doesn't get bumped as much. I'm just starting to find a lot of stuff and the content has been great. Keep exploring. The site events/contests are awesome, but Im figuring out there's so much more and its feeling more like Nintendo age 2.0 as I get into it. Im convinced now this will end up being better. Lots of familiar names from NA that don't appear in the contests/events too. You should be weighing in the database creation threads since you obviously used the nintendo age one!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

Wow nice work Scary!! Where would you place Ikari Warriors out of all the difficult NES games you've completed? 

It has to be right at the top. It required all the memorization of Battletoads with little ability to bail yourself out of a jam. Metal Mech was rough too due to the final stage. I have no desire to play that one again.

I did consider Athena, but Ikari seemed like more fun, so that tells you all you need to know about that game...

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

With you on scouring the site here. Its harder because there are a lot more options. More topics/threads and fewer people, so stuff doesn't get bumped as much. I'm just starting to find a lot of stuff and the content has been great. Keep exploring. The site events/contests are awesome, but Im figuring out there's so much more and its feeling more like Nintendo age 2.0 as I get into it. Im convinced now this will end up being better. Lots of familiar names from NA that don't appear in the contests/events too. You should be weighing in the database creation threads since you obviously used the nintendo age one!

It does seem like there's a few too many forums on here, doesn't it? Maybe because the conversation is more divided between them, I don't check the main forum pages every day like I did on NA. Still happy with the site though overall.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, scaryice said:

It does seem like there's a few too many forums on here, doesn't it? Maybe because the conversation is more divided between them, I don't check the main forum pages every day like I did on NA. Still happy with the site though overall.

I thought the same thing when this site first got created. And I hadnt been checking the forum every day either but I'm starting to. There are more forums, but the problem is the site is still very new. If we get to the level of participation/membership we had on NA, this format will work a lot better than NA ever did.. It just feels disjointed right now because there are many more options, but not many members. Stuff doesn't get bumped that often so finding things is a little trickier right now. Give it time. It gets better everyday as more people get involved. 

I finally finished Spelunker yesterday, so I started in on Gumshoe again. Made it to the final boss (Zulie) a ton of times, so it's just a matter of getting the timing down for the ridiculous number of hits required. After 3 hours of trying my game crashed, but it only took me 30-45 minutes to make it to the last level, if that, so I'm feeling like I'll get this one sooner or later.

Does anyone know the exact triggers for the secret areas in this game? There's so much speculation about it, but no hard data, and it's definitely not merely a matter of collecting enough balloons -- it must be collecting a certain balloon, or something with the score, or who knows what.

And watching different videos of the final boss fight on YouTube, I saw people hit Zulie anywhere from 18 to nearly 30 times before he went down, so it seems like there's some weird variability there too...? Tell me his health doesn't regenerate!

Edited by bronzeshield

9 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I finally finished Spelunker yesterday, so I started in on Gumshoe again. Made it to the final boss (Zulie) a ton of times, so it's just a matter of getting the timing down for the ridiculous number of hits required. After 3 hours of trying my game crashed, but it only took me 30-45 minutes to make it to the last level, if that, so I'm feeling like I'll get this one sooner or later.

Does anyone know the exact triggers for the secret areas in this game? There's so much speculation about it, but no hard data, and it's definitely not merely a matter of collecting enough balloons -- it must be collecting a certain balloon, or something with the score, or who knows what.

And watching different videos of the final boss fight on YouTube, I saw people hit Zulie anywhere from 18 to nearly 30 times before he went down, so it seems like there's some weird variability there too...? Tell me his health doesn't regenerate!

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Gumshoe

For each stage, there is an optional area that can be reached in the middle of the stage. These areas are never mentioned in the manual. You know you've reached one of these areas because it is always is filled with lots of balloons and/or lucky birds. To get to the optional area of a stage Mr. Stevenson needs to pick up a certain number of balloons before getting to the area. It's absolutely essential to make it to this area in the last stage if you have started your game on that stage or you will not have enough ammo to defeat Zulie.

You should probably that whole page. It says you need to shoot Zulie in the eye.

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Gumshoe

You should probably that whole page. It says you need to shoot Zulie in the eye.

Thanks, but I've read that page. 🙂 I know you need to hit Zulie in the eye with your machine gun (not the Zapper, since there's no hitbox).

The question on my mind is how many hits are needed, and why it seems to vary so much in different videos. What I'm worried about is the possibility that it's either linked to something earlier in the stage (e.g. the number of balloons you collect), or that Zulie regenerates health in some way.

A few things in that guide are kind of bogus. For instance, it's possible to take on Zulie with zero ammo, because you can still make your guy bounce to avoid Zulie's shots, and the machine gun doesn't drain or depend on your ammo. Because of that, I'm not sure it's worth the risk of going through the lengthy bonus area, which makes the stage twice as long and gives the game more opportunities to screw you over by dropping something on your head without warning, or having a grasshopper spawn into you just as you need to make a tricky jump.

(Also, the part about continuing is poorly phrased: you have to shoot the words GAME OVER to continue, but it's misleading to say you "get one chance" -- you can shoot and miss several times, as long as you register a hit before the screen disappears. And if you can't hit a static target like that within 5-6 seconds, you ain't getting very far in Gumshoe anyway. 😉 

Meanwhile I spent 45-50 minutes on Gumshoe tonight before it, sadly, crashed. Made it to Zulie once. My suspicion is that there's something flawed with my EverDrive N8, since it loves to crash on older games, while newer, more complex games are oddly less likely to cause trouble. (Or maybe it's the RAM in my NES, and newer games do better since they use on-cart RAM? But real carts haven't been crashing on me...)

Unfortunately I don't see much point in trying to chase the problem down since there are too many variables, and I doubt KRIKzz is interested in troubleshooting someone dealing with an ancient NES + a Famicom to NES adapter + an old version of the EverDrive OS + etc.

Edited by bronzeshield

Damn that sounds brutal @bronzeshield! After all the effort you've put in and still looks like it can't be finished under mysterious circumstances. More frustrating that you don't know the exact cause. I've heard that game is brutal but I've never played it.

I managed to sneak in some time and started 8 Eyes today. I am halfway through the game. It seemed difficult at first but once you beat the first level you can tackle the others (so far). Hopefully I can finish this off by tomorrow.

• Like 1

8 Eyes completed. A quirky part of the game is after you defeat a boss, you sit down and have a cup of tea with them. Even the final boss as pictured here. Despite the blatant castlevania rip off, 8 Eyes offers enough to stand on its own. The control of your falcon, Cutrus really adds a level of depth to the experience. Apparently in 2 player mode the second player controls Cutrus. That’s pretty cool! 

1A3F37D7-5A1D-467B-9807-4895468C58D1.jpeg

4C05D77E-92A2-45FE-8F74-724633B52F8D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

@BriGuy82 damn that was quick! Have you played it before?

I haven't figured out how to control the Orb in Orb-3D yet. I'm aimlessly bouncing around in the 3rd stage until I run out of fuel. I think there are unlimited continues (?) but it's slow going regardless.

I had been playing it on and off for about 2 weeks. It was pretty brutal at first. The keys to this game are muting your t.v. so you don't have to listen to the same God awful music repeating itself the entire time. Also to get the extra lives by catching the little parachute guys. I was up to 10 lives once I caught them all.

You can call off the search parties. I have trouble remembering my password for this forum, and I haven't used my primary computer at home here in several days. My gaming time has been spent on Earthbound over the last couple of weeks, even though @LaytToTheParty cleared it for the SNES thread right after I started it. I can't be mad, though, since Layt came in here and knocked off World Class Track Meet right after that. I wonder if Layt will handle the other three Power Pad games for us?

I'll get back to Mighty Bomb Jack and Gauntlet after this palate cleanser. I'm considering doing Mission Impossible again also, but it's pretty brutal.

@NESfiend

I thought I saw you post about ordering a copy of Tecmo World Wrestling. Have you tried it? I thought it was decent, but I never got good enough at it to beat the final guy.

@bronzeshield

Have you been using the continue code on Solomon's Key? If not, would that make things easier for you? It's not in the manual, but it should still be fair game because Tecmo did print that code on a poster that was sold with the game. That would make it just as legit as being in the manual for the rules of this thread.

• Like 1

@nerdynebraskan glad to hear you are alive. Jealous you've been playing through earthbound. I won a copy in Quest4NES fantasy football league in 18. Played through 4 or 5 levels leading up to the birth of my son. Never did get back to it, but plan to some day. It really lives up to all the hype. I'm not huge on rpgs generally, but that thing is awesome.

As to tecmo world wrestling, I popped it in when it first showed up and couldnt get the controls. Didnt give it any time (maybe 5-10 min) or research though as I wanted to get bases loaded 2 done. Ill give it another go this week. Usually quirky sports games are in my wheelhouse, so i should be able to take care of that one. I just havent had time to game much this past week. 

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

You can call off the search parties. I have trouble remembering my password for this forum, and I haven't used my primary computer at home here in several days. My gaming time has been spent on Earthbound over the last couple of weeks, even though @LaytToTheParty cleared it for the SNES thread right after I started it. I can't be mad, though, since Layt came in here and knocked off World Class Track Meet right after that. I wonder if Layt will handle the other three Power Pad games for us?

Sure thing! As long as I'm allowed to emulate, I can knock off SE tomorrow.