IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

16 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@Gaia Gensouki - way late for it, but congrats on clearing 500 points. Crazy feat especially since so much of it was late into the game list. Understand the fatigue. When the empire grind was wearing on me, I played around with a few SNES games during the day when my kid was playing in the game room area downstairs. I just started looking at the completion thread for it and there are an endless supply of good games to be played there. I am going to be mixing it up more going forward. Not sure how much longer I will be at home so I need to get a couple other systems in while there is still time. Thanks for powering through a lot of clunkers. 

@Kid Dracula - I used to rent Smash TV and I have no idea why because I only remember two things. 1. Getting nowhere. 2. "Good Luck! You'll need it!" That sound clip pops on in my head whenever I read the title anywhere. Nice clear. I looked at youtube footage to remember what it looked like. Looks really tough. At some point I read the backstory about why you are on a game show slaughtering thousands of people to stay alive yourself. Can't remember it though. 

@Crabmaster2000  - down to 100 games to complete the library is incredible. If you complete it, I vote the mods give you a lucas barton head badge. Do you have longplay videos for every game you have completed? I'm going to go back to that Galaxy 5000 video to get to your page and look around. 

@nerdynebraskan - Good luck with MVP. Nice of you to commit to that. A not terrible baseball game doesn't sound like a bad side project, especially as the list keeps thinning out. I am looking at that option. 

@bronzeshield - on the topic of long baseball commitments, really nice of you to grind through bases loaded. Good luck!

@PII - cool you got involved with the thread late. That little TV with the big nobs is badass. 

I do have videos of all of them so far:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv9Yyrdj7fHqBNShE0rZJ1w

@nerdynebraskan - Don't worry about stepping on my toes for games you choose. During the last couple years I've made a very conscious effort to pick games that helped out over here as a priority. Right now I'm just plugging away at my own pace and if it happens to coincide with the remaining games on here that's just a big old bonus. I'll try to give a heads up when I start something on one of the remaining games though. Been toying with maybe doing Might & Magic soon, but I'll be sure to say something if/when I do. 

@Gaia Gensouki

Congrats on getting to 500 points. I hope you come back for some Ultima after you get yourself recharged.

@NESfiend

Good to see you down Empire Strikes Back. I tried it a couple of years ago, but I didn't have the patience for it. What do you think you'll do next? And were you hinting at considering Clemens Baseball?

@Crabmaster2000

It's kind of you to say so, but I want to leave you with motivation to keep working at this group goal. Since I've started Gauntlet, I want to continue working on it. And though a few of the others on your list are interesting to me, I won't be touching them before June. Good luck to you. It would definitely be good to declare your start on Might & Magic, if that is indeed what is next for you, because that one is so notoriously long. I hope you'll indulge us by counting down the remaining games as you beat them.

@Tablew/chairs

Nice work with Best of the Best. I've never really found it that interesting, but it sounds like a tough one. What's next for you? What games are left on this list and your personal quest?

@Kid Dracula

So, you've got a newborn baby at home... you're probably not getting much sleep. But you're still sharp enough to drop Smash TV for the first time? You're definitely an ace shooter!

Well, I better get back to Puzznic. I've got 50 puzzles left on the titular game (out of 160), and then I have 160 more of Gravnic to look forward to.

@nerdynebraskan

Sorry if that was confusing. I meant Roger Clemens is all yours, but I was looking at other baseball games. I pulled the bases loaded sequels and played around with a couple. They have passwords issued after every game. If I can get decent at one of them, I may make it a side project playing a few games hear and there slowly. The only one I used to play a lot was bases loaded 3. I am pretty sure I played all the way through it at some point, but its been years. I'll definitely let you know if i get proficient enough to commit to that. 

After a long and challenging platformer, a sports title sounds perfect. I was looking at Scary's suggestions especially golf grand slam. Had a lot of fun with trevino, bad as it is, so a better golf game sounds great. Never really gave it a shot, but my copy of that game is at my parent's house (along with my n64, unfortunately). I will order another one if no one else is planning on playing this. I pulled my copy of Goal 2 off the shelf to try in the meantime really late last night. Now I don't know where the hell i put it. Either way, I am going to ease into the next one. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Actually, I'm surprised no one has beaten Maniac Mansion yet, so I will take care of that this evening. I assume no one is clamoring to play Shingen

If we were talking about this year, I didn't realize I beat it at a friends haha.  But ill give it to you because you have a great avatar.

BTW I did something in the game I dunno if anyone ever did.  I died while holding the meteor.  Hold the meteor and give weird ed the exploded hamster.

Hey @guitarzombie

Sounds like you've already done Maniac Mansion this year? Put yourself on the board! I saw something about all contributors getting an NES controller... thing?... if we beat all the games. You know you need that on your profile! Would you like to play anything else? I'd seen you on a recent thread saying something about your special attachment to the Darkman game. It's still on the board...

Well, back to Puzznic. 34 puzzles left on the "A" game...

Edited by nerdynebraskan

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Hey @guitarzombie

Sounds like you've already done Maniac Mansion this year? Put yourself on the board! I saw something about all contributors getting an NES controller... thing?... if we beat all the games. You know you need that on your profile! Would you like to play anything else? I'd seen you on a recent thread saying something about your special attachment to the Darkman game. It's still on the board...

Well, back to Puzznic. 34 puzzles left on the "A" game...

Oh god Darkman... its a pain.  I just had it as a kid and I felt bad cuz my mom got it for me on a whim in a sales in at blockbuster and I didn't really like it.  I haven't played any NES games at home in a long time.  Trying to catch up on more recent games ive missed.  Playing a LOT of Doom eternal, bloodstained, switch games etc.  Maybe next year i'll add in some NES /GB stuff.

EDIT Im not gonna claim it, its yours bud!  MAYBE if there are any weird ones still up that I could help.  Like Zombie Nation.  Love that one.

Edited by guitarzombie

Dracula is defeated.  Thinkin' I'll probably give Jungle Book a go now, but also have a look-see at 8 Eyes and Cobra Triangle.  All three of those would be new for me, so we'll see.  And I'll keep working on Loopz game C.  I've managed to get as far as level 34, but its getting pretty tricky at this point so I'm not expecting any rapid progress from here on out.

@crabmaster2000

Thanx!  I love a "real tube."  It's great for giving Duck Hunt some additional replay value.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

@guitarzombie

I hope you'll join us, at least long enough to be an official contributor. Sorry I misread that previous thread; I've never been a fan of any of Ocean's platformers either. I guess it was just wishful thinking that someone out there would like Darkman. I have tried both Predator and Swamp Thing this year and found them both awful. Must've been something you needed to grow up with. I certainly wanted to like Predator, but yeesh...

@PII

Welcome back, and congrats on Dracula. And it sounds like you're hitting a wall about where I did on LoopZ. But you're right, though: CRT is the only way to go retro. It's exclusively what I still game on.

59 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I hope you'll join us, at least long enough to be an official contributor. Sorry I misread that previous thread; I've never been a fan of any of Ocean's platformers either. I guess it was just wishful thinking that someone out there would like Darkman. I have tried both Predator and Swamp Thing this year and found them both awful. Must've been something you needed to grow up with. I certainly wanted to like Predator, but yeesh...

I like bad games haha.  I actually prefer Swamp Thing over Predator.  The final boss fight for Predator is really cool, although lots of RNG.  I had Bart vs the Space Mutants as a kid and got really far, so the controls for Swamp Thing are identical (same design team) which is why it feels kinda natural to me.

I read somewhere or other that Swamp Thing uses the same engine as all the Bart Simpson Games, hence Its been one of my top NES games to acquire, as I played the crap out of those Bart games as a kid.  Maybe I'll try and emulate it...  Also, there's a hack out there in which Swamp Thing has been replaced by Bart Simpson.  I also like a lot of games with very bad reputations.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PII said:

I read somewhere or other that Swamp Thing uses the same engine as all the Bart Simpson Games, hence Its been one of my top NES games to acquire, as I played the crap out of those Bart games as a kid.  Maybe I'll try and emulate it...  Also, there's a hack out there in which Swamp Thing has been replaced by Bart Simpson.  I also like a lot of games with very bad reputations.

Yeah its the same engine.  I think it was Imagineer that programmed it.  It has those same kind of running/jumping mechanics.  

Editorials Team · Posted

I watched some playthroughs of Battletank, it seems like they use a lot of the same strategies that I do (try to get tanks to run away from you so they don't attack you, use the big gun against choppers) they just... get lucky and that's why that playthrough got posted online. So I'll keep trying for a lucky game.

Went ahead and beat Golf Grand Slam. Sorry to steal it @NESfiend if you wanted to do it. It's not that bad, it's funny that the sole purpose of the A button while viewing the course is to tell you that you should have pushed the B button. I topped the "reader" board. Got a couple satisfying chip-in shots, which are fun when the ball is 4 pixels and the hole is 9.

S3RLYUe.png

C2Vfeah.png

Well, I just went ahead and counted Black Bass. We're almost at 600 already!

EDIT:

And if anyone's going to play Gauntlet, make sure to get the upgrade potions. Those are vital. Oh, and don't shoot them by accident, which is totally possible. You're better off just watching a speedrun and checking the route, I suppose. I'd love to see something stream a truly blind run for Gauntlet, just to see how long it would take.

Edited by scaryice

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

EDIT:

And if anyone's going to play Gauntlet, make sure to get the upgrade potions. Those are vital. Oh, and don't shoot them by accident, which is totally possible. You're better off just watching a speedrun and checking the route, I suppose. I'd love to see something stream a truly blind run for Gauntlet, just to see how long it would take.

It took TMR close to 6 hours to beat Gauntlet for Nesmania.

EDIT: Okay, he says at the beginning of the Gauntlet video that it was one he already beat, so it wasn't blind. And it still took him 6 hours.

Edited by mbd39

13 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I like bad games haha.  I actually prefer Swamp Thing over Predator.  The final boss fight for Predator is really cool, although lots of RNG.  I had Bart vs the Space Mutants as a kid and got really far, so the controls for Swamp Thing are identical (same design team) which is why it feels kinda natural to me.

Is Predator as slow as swamp thing? I played through a few levels of swamp thing earlier this year. It would be a good game if you could move your character at a reasonable pace. Its strange how well he jumps considering walking seems to be extraordinarily difficult for him. 

@nerdynebraskan - I actually thought when I quit playing Swamp thing that you were going to clear it like an hour later. Its hard to screw up an NES side-scroller to the point where I don't want to play it. Says a lot that it is still sitting there unbeaten. Its more difficult than the point value, but its really just excruciatingly slow and boring that I think has kept it there. 

Edited by NESfiend

5 hours ago, scaryice said:

Sorry for the delay in replying!

I would agree to count Black Bass as completed.  You get the same tournament victory screen no matter which date you get 1st place or which Class A lake you earn 1st on.  Nicely done @Crabmaster2000

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Is Predator as slow as swamp thing? I played through a few levels of swamp thing earlier this year. It would be a good game if you could move your character at a reasonable pace. Its strange how well he jumps considering walking seems to be extraordinarily difficult for him. 

@nerdynebraskan - I actually thought when I quit playing Swamp thing that you were going to clear it like an hour later. Its hard to screw up an NES side-scroller to the point where I don't want to play it. Says a lot that it is still sitting there unbeaten. Its more difficult than the point value, but its really just excruciatingly slow and boring that I think has kept it there. 

Honestly the first few levels of Swamp Thing are the hardest in the game IMO cuz its so long.  You're faster in Predator but its weird cuz there are alternate exits and some lead to easier levels and quicker completion.  Eventually meeting up at the same spot at the end.  If you know what you're doing its faster.  

Bases Loaded 3 is done. I missed the end screen by a split second, but got some shots of the credits and the last screen. This one isnt too hard once you get the intricacies of fielding. Hardest part about getting 100 is not getting thrown out after a flyout. When you hit a line drive to the first baseman, that guy that was on first is out and your 100 is down to 97. 

Quickly got to the point where I could mercy rule the first team with a high score. That takes you straight to a level 5 team. I choose NY for the first game opponent because the computer will use them for your level 5 matchup otherwise. So I got Boston for the second game each time. Used philly because they have the biggest bats. Luckily only took 7 or 8 tries to get a 100 vs Boston. Only one pickoff and had good opportunities for diving catches to make up the points. 

Apparently, the music guy wasnt proud enough of his work to want his name in the credits. 

20200420_164336.jpg

20200420_164222.jpg

20200420_164154.jpg

20200420_164300.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

The Pastebin says that the win condition for Barker Bill's Trick Shooting is to "play and beat each event, including the special ones in Fun Follies mode (stage 4, 5, 9)". However there's no end to the regular events (they just loop forever, and/or the manual says Round 99 repeats endlessly), so I don't see how you can "beat" them; I've won a couple rounds in each, but there's no high score to surpass.

I'm wondering if the real win condition is to reach Round 10 in Fun Follies, which takes you through the additional event types (Trixie's Shot in Round 4 and Bill's Thrills in Round 9) and lets you see the special stages too. What does everyone think?

By the way I'm not committing to beat BBTS, as either I or my Zapper (or both) lack the consistency necessary to get very far in the game so far. But we'll see.

Edited by bronzeshield