IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

For those curious, the last 10 games remaining in the three years that we finished them all on Nintendo Age. Bold games are still unbeaten this year:

668 Side Pocket
669 High Speed
670 Arkanoid
671 Bases Loaded IV
672 Bill Elliott's Nascar Challenge
673 Formula 1: Built to Win
674 Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing
675 Conflict
676 Ultimate Air Combat
677 L'Empereur

668 5 Gemfire
669 8 Pirates!
670 10 Overlord
671 8 Nobunaga's Ambition
672 9 Genghis Khan
673 10 Shingen the Ruler
674 8 Tetris 2
675 10 Super Glove Ball
676 8 Faria: A World of Mystery & Danger
677 8 Mutant Virus

668 9 Kung Fu Heroes
669 10 Star Voyager
670 9 Stealth ATF
671 10 Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix
672 10 Super Cars
673 10 L'Empereur
674 10 Genghis Khan
675 10 Motor City Patrol
676 7 Dance Aerobics
677 8 To the Earth

At last, Puzznic is done. Mercifully, Gravnic was "only" 80 stages and not the 160 of Puzznic. That was a lot of work for one of the lousy ending screens in the NES library:

"Congratulations. All Stages Completed. Game Over."

Good thing most of the game was pretty fun... even if I had to run music and podcasts over the game's music. Only one short track for a game with hours of gameplay?!

Thanks, mbd, it was definitely a grind. On the bright side, I also got to claim completion #600 for the year.

@NESfiend

You made quick work of Bases Loaded 3. Any chance you'd want to grind out Bases Loaded: Second Season? Bronze has committed to doing the first, and table apparently still needs to do #4 at some point, but no one has come forward with any interest in #2. I'll start Roger Clemens in the next couple of days, unless someone else really wants it. I will also commit to doing All Pro Basketball again, unless someone else needs it for their personal list. That would leave Bases Loaded: Second Season as the last uncommitted time sink of a sports game. I seriously doubt I'll ever play any of those... not only are they long, but I don't like that style of baseball game. I'll play an RBI clone anyday, though... hence, the rapid approach of Roger Clemens time.

@nerdynebraskan

I have played through five games or so and won them. I dont mind giving it a go as long as people dont care when we finish. 130 game season. I plan to play this casually among other things yo keep my sanity .That, and when I get sent back to work, between a hectic work schedule and a kid, this will be really slow. If someone wants to power thru quick, you are more than welcome. Just let me know. 

16 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@Crabmaster2000

I jumped around in your completion video of bases loaded 2. After 77 wins, you were awarded league champion and the playoffs started. Do you not have to play the rest of the 130 game season or did you just not film that?

You scared the crap out of me. Of all the games I do not ever want to replay the Bases Loaded series is near the top. It was such a long season I had to split it into 5 parts. Here's the final part with the World Champ ending.

Also decided to start working on Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000

16 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

You scared the crap out of me. Of all the games I do not ever want to replay the Bases Loaded series is near the top. It was such a long season I had to split it into 5 parts. Here's the final part with the World Champ ending.

Also decided to start working on Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. 

This is the video I was watching. It looks like when you achieved 78 wins, it awarded you league champion. You got to go straight to the playoffs rather than finish out the 130 game season. Because there are cuts where you enter passwords, I wanted to make sure that was how the game worked rather than an editing result. 

I just finished Bases Loaded II a few months ago.  You have to win 75 games, then you go to the playoffs and you have to win 4 more games to beat it.  So 79 games total.

I can't speak for Bases Loaded 4, but I thought both the first two games were pretty easy, just long.  For the first game I found a pitching exploit for perfect games every time, so it is very easy to win but it is unspeakably long and slow to get through the 80 wins.  I could not find an exploit like that for BL2 but found it to have a much quicker pace.  Something like 40 hours to complete BL1 and 25-30 hours for BL2.

46 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Wait, @arnpoly,

Did you play through Bases Loaded II this year?

I'm still struggling with Mighty Bomb Jack, and after two disappointing rounds I'm now playing my first series of Roger Clemens MVP Baseball.

It was back in November after it had already been done for last year's thread.  😞

1 hour ago, arnpoly said:

I just finished Bases Loaded II a few months ago.  You have to win 75 games, then you go to the playoffs and you have to win 4 more games to beat it.  So 79 games total.

I can't speak for Bases Loaded 4, but I thought both the first two games were pretty easy, just long.  For the first game I found a pitching exploit for perfect games every time, so it is very easy to win but it is unspeakably long and slow to get through the 80 wins.  I could not find an exploit like that for BL2 but found it to have a much quicker pace.  Something like 40 hours to complete BL1 and 25-30 hours for BL2.

I wonder how many people who play Bases Loaded or similar sports games ever go beyond playing one game against the CPU or doing some quick multiplayer with a friend. Actually beating the game sounds like quite a slog unless you're really into baseball.

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I wonder how many people who play Bases Loaded or similar sports games ever go beyond playing one game against the CPU or doing some quick multiplayer with a friend. Actually beating the game sounds like quite a slog unless you're really into baseball.

I have always really liked baseball games. Completed 3 or 4 full seasons of Ken Griffey jr over the years. Thats 152 games plus playoffs and world series if I remember right. It's a great category of games to zone out and have a beer with or have something to do while watching tv. Seasons of baseball or basketball games makes for a good side project when you are too tired to focus on whatever platformer you are playing. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Oh, bummer. Are you planning to do anything else for the thread this year?

Maybe?  If the next games on my list overlap with what's left here, then definitely I will.  We are running out of games though so that's looking less likely all the time.

I've been playing Little Ninja Brothers for the last couple of weeks.  (Already been completed here of course.)  But I think Kung-Fu Heroes is still on the board and it's possible I can take that one to help out.

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm not sure these games are often played to completion these days, but definitely more back in the day.  Imagine a kid bored in the early 90's who likes baseball and I can see a full season or two pretty easily.

@arnpoly

Thanks for the reply. Its 79 games assuming you dont lose any. I think the difficulty ramps up as you string together wins. I won 6, lost 1-0 in the 13th and it got easy again. I won another six and now I'm in another 0-0 pitching duel. May have to lose every now and again to keep my sanity. 

Edit: Well I won the duel, so the winning streak is in tact. Not sure if the difficulty increase is that, a certain style pitcher, or fatigue. If anyone knows how cpu works, would be helpful

Second Edit: I figured it out. It is one pitcher. Number 11 from DC (their starter). He throws low and slow and its really tough to have the patience to work the count every at bat. Even then, the low balls can get you striking out. 

Edited by NESfiend

Darkman, another first time clear for me this year. It's not awful once you get used to it. However, so many aggravating gameplay mechanics, and the weird momentum based jumping still make it easily below average, though. This is one of those games where I had to play through it once with save states to have a fair shot at doing it legit.

Ow7AmRL.png

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

@Daniel_Doyce Its pretty fun once you get the hang of it.  Some annoying levels in there IIRC with lasers that kill you.  

@scaryice nice!  I agree, it wasn't as awful as I remember its just the stupid "Ocean" engine that plagued those games.  The cheapest part were those

levels where you have to choose the path and if you get it wrong you die.  You have to memorize the pattern towards the end cuz it goes so fast.  I also remember the last boss battle

being very cheap but I think theres a way to cheese him.

@Tablew/chairs

Nice! I've thought about doing Nightshade one of these years. Did you enjoy it? What's next for you?

I'm almost halfway through Clemens' regular season, after cracking out on it the last couple of days. I still want to keep working on Mighty Bomb Jack, but I didn't have the nerve for it today.