IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

Said I wasn't going to go crazy with bases loaded 2, but did. 27-2 now. Will inevitably slow down a lot, but nice to get a fast start. Had a long slide against boston on the schedule and was able to mercy them a bunch, so that cut a lot of innings. I haven't played this game since bases loaded 3 came out, but I am actually still enjoying it. As long as I am not batting against number 11 from DC. 

Ordered a copy of tecmo world wrestling on ebay for an easier follow up after the marathon, hopefully. I have never played it, but it looks similar to pro wrestling, which isnt half bad. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Oh man, Ultimate Ait Combate gets real hard real fast. I'm in the last stage in the second group of 4 and already getting destroyed in dogfighting.

You wimp!  You just wait till it actually gets REALLY hard haha.  IIRC, you have to loop a lot up and down to get behind fighters.  I got the hang of it, but that was like 2 years ago.  The game makes you good cuz you really need skill towards the end.  Also I think all the missiles they give you are worthless.  Just get the ones that gives the most missiles.  I forget what the upgrade system is for the 'land' fights.  I remember dropping some 'anchor' thing and destroying buildings with it.

I think I'll start All Pro Basketball again in the next few days, unless someone else already has or desperately needs to do it for their personal list.

Speak now! Only one member should be sacrificed on this time-sink of a sports game. But with @bronzeshield committing to the first Bases Loaded and @NESfiend grinding away on the Second Season, that will only leave Bases Loaded 4 among the long sports games. And @Tablew/chairs apparently still needs that one for his personal list. I can do All Pro Basketball, as I've done it twice before and I find it easy. Finishing the long sports games will be a big step towards finishing the list.

32 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I think I'll start All Pro Basketball again in the next few days, unless someone else already has or desperately needs to do it for their personal list.

Speak now! Only one member should be sacrificed on this time-sink of a sports game. But with @bronzeshield committing to the first Bases Loaded and @NESfiend grinding away on the Second Season, that will only leave Bases Loaded 4 among the long sports games. And @Tablew/chairs apparently still needs that one for his personal list. I can do All Pro Basketball, as I've done it twice before and I find it easy. Finishing the long sports games will be a big step towards finishing the list.

i did bases loaded 3 this weekend i saw nesfiend already did it but i wanted to beat 3 before i started 4, anyway i've begun bases loaded 4 i'm 7-3 and the games basically are either i hit a few home runs and shut them out or i don't hit any and then after about 15 innings i make a fielding error and they win 1-0, so they never score unless i miss a fly ball and i can never get a hit if i have a man on base

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

@NESfiend grinding away on the Second Season, that will only leave Bases Loaded 4 among the long sports games. 

May have given me too much credit there. I'm 40-2 now, but I hit a big wall. It stopped being enjoyable somewhere between win number 30 and 35. I need a couple days off it to regain my love for the BL series. I'm sure it will come back. 

Thanks to @Tablew/chairs and @bronzeshield for committing to the rest of the series. 2 and 3 are all I have in me this year. 

Edited by NESfiend

15 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Made it to Stage 5/9 of Ultimate Air Combat. I got stuck on one mission where you have to take out 13 really thin radio towers, but I finally did it. I'm definitely getting better at both the dogfight and objective parts of each mission now.

That might have been the mission I was thinking of.  Glad to see you'll get some appreciation for this game that NO ONE talks about. 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:37 AM, scaryice said:

Robocop 2 completed! Brutal game with so many cheap deaths. Compares very closely with Darkman, which is why I chose it. Still, Darkman is way more fun. Even with infinite continues this one is still incredibly annoying.

vQiOxYH.png

This is the one where you gotta destroy a certain number of nuke canisters to move to the next level, even if you completed it right?  

11 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

This is the one where you gotta destroy a certain number of nuke canisters to move to the next level, even if you completed it right?  

Yeah. It's not too bad, though, because there's so many one hit kills that you generally have to play perfectly to beat a stage anyway.

3 hours ago, scaryice said:

Yeah. It's not too bad, though, because there's so many one hit kills that you generally have to play perfectly to beat a stage anyway.

I remember a couple of years ago playing it and beating the level and it telling me I didn't get enough nuke.  But IIRC it didn't tell me that, or how many I needed.  

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Just got to stage 7/9 of Ultimate Air Combat. There were two nightmare missions in stage 6 that took forever to map out, and then the last one was a cakewalk.

That game must be insanely difficult considering how quickly you've knocked out some really tough titles. I wish there were more good/fair fighter pilot games. Captain Skyhawk fighter elements are the easy part of that game. All the other fighter stuff I have tried has been crazy hard. Tried airwolf recently and couldn't last 1 minute.  I would love to get good at top gun and other games like that, but haven't been able to. Might play around with top gun after the list is complete and see if I can master it for next year 

Edited by NESfiend

No disrespect to @Daniel_Doyce, but he seems to specialize in strategy games. I was a little surprised to see him jump into a more action-oriented title. But it does sound like Ultimate Air Combat will be his conquest very soon.

@NESfiend

I'm not surprised that you might need a break before finishing a Bases Loaded game. They're definitely a slog, but I hope you can recharge your batteries and return to it.

@nerdynebraskan  The weekly contest this week is TMNT 3, one of my favorite beat em ups. I'm trying to 1cc it and put up a respectable score. Probably won't, but even getting close has been really fun. Ive always wanted to see if I could put up a respectable finish in one of those if I had the time. That game selection coming during my last week quarantined was kind of perfect. Its been the break I needed. Ill be back on the bases Monday, but also back to work, so pace will be slow. So glad I powered through more than half a season before shut down ended here or I'd be really overwhelmed. 

What are you working on?

Edit: Remembered you are doing all pro basketball. Are you playing something else from the list or just for fun to keep sanity?

Edited by NESfiend

Truthfully I've had no time for games since finishing Clemens. I went back to work on Wednesday, and worked ten hour days the last three days. I have unfinished business with Gauntlet and Mighty Bomb Jack, but those are both pretty hard. And yes, I'm planning to start All Pro Basketball again soon. That will give me something I can make steady progress in, as the game is easy but loooong. I'm also a bit tempted to play some of the low-hanging fruit on the SNES and Genesis threads, so we'll see...

5 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

No disrespect to @Daniel_Doyce, but he seems to specialize in strategy games. I was a little surprised to see him jump into a more action-oriented title. But it does sound like Ultimate Air Combat will be his conquest very soon.

@NESfiend

I'm not surprised that you might need a break before finishing a Bases Loaded game. They're definitely a slog, but I hope you can recharge your batteries and return to it.

I'm taking some for the team. I may try one of the Ultima games next, though.

I actually tried Ultima Exodus the other day, but I somehow wasn't really feeling it. The character creation and battles are nice and all, but the grinding for levels and money take way too long. Also, it frustrated me immensely that I would always get traps when opening a treasure. As a consequence my whole team could get poisened. And in order to cure the poison there does not seem to be another way other than going back to the castle and paying 100G for curinig a single character. But every long battle only awards between 20 and 80G so far! Not to mention that you have to buy food as well. This is one of those games where you get poorer the more you fight and where I don't know how to even progress. To make matters even worse I though of saving my game and resetting whenever I would encounter such a trap. But apparently my game wasn't saved and all of my progress was for nought. So I don't know how to progress in this game or how to even save. So I'm not sure if I can make it through this grindfest, unless I'm missing something.

I had a similar experience, Gaia. The first Ultima I ever played was either Exodus or Quest of the Avatar. It's hard for me to tell them apart, as they look nearly identical and I haven't played far into either. They're well-regarded. They look good. I like the music. I launch my party from the first castle and fight my first battle. I win, and I discover a treasure chest. Sweet! I go to open it, and it's booby trapped! All four in my party are poisoned, and my starting money plus the prize from the battle only leaves me enough gold to cure two of them. It left a bitter taste in my mouth that I never recovered from, and I didn't really give either game a chance after that. But I'm much more of a casual RPGer than you seem to be; I'd hoped that you'd have a bit more luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

So I don't know how to progress in this game or how to even save. So I'm not sure if I can make it through this grindfest, unless I'm missing something.

I don't know what's happening with your save issue (it's been too long for me to recall the details), though from what I'm reading I think you have to go to the inn at Castle Britannia to save, and maybe you were going to Lord British instead?

In any event there's a famous trick to Ultima: Exodus (at least the NES version) that makes the game very easy:

Spoiler

Don't level up. (Ergo, avoid Lord British.)

Specifically, don't level up past a certain level -- I think it's either Level 3 or Level 5? -- until late in the game, so that the overworld enemies stay weak and vulnerable to the REPEL and UNDEAD spells. And those spells will always work if you use them on the right animation frames.

• Like 1