IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

Administrator · Posted
23 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

I agree that Silver Surfer is not easy. That said, I dont think it’d even crack my top 5 for most difficult shmups. It’s definitely easier to beat than Silkworm, Star Soldier, Star Force, Starship Hector, and Burai Fighter (on “ultimate” setting which gives the final ending). I might even put Dino Riki and Sky Shark ahead of Silver Surfer as far as difficulty goes. 

This makes Silver Surfer sound easy to me, though I've not played it. 😛

9 hours ago, Gloves said:

This makes Silver Surfer sound easy to me, though I've not played it. 😛

Compared to the games I mentioned, I'd almost say Silver Surfer is easy. If you can beat any of those than you can certainly beat SS. It comes down to the typical getting the feel down for the controls and memorization of enemy patterns.

I wasn’t content just to finish Zanac yesterday (with continues)so I gave it another go- 1 credit clear with 42 lives in reserve! “You are the messiah of the earth” is the congratulatory message! 

I’ve heard some people say it’s the hardest shooter on the nes which is definitely not the case. It is definitely one of the best though!

E4F41C12-6BF9-401A-9AF2-04E6692768A8.jpeg

63F87308-FF27-43DF-B121-45A1E1CD623F.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

I wasn’t content just to finish Zanac yesterday (with continues)so I gave it another go- 1 credit clear with 42 lives in reserve! “You are the messiah of the earth” is the congratulatory message! 

I’ve heard some people say it’s the hardest shooter on the nes which is definitely not the case. It is definitely one of the best though!

Nice run. Zanac is one of the few shmups I have yet to play. I'll probably pick up a copy at some point.. Glad to hear that it isn't one of the hardest!

@Kid Dracula Just how did you do that? I tried that game last year, but I just couldn't make it far. I think level 4 was where I got stuck. There were just too many enemies, imho, and especially those ships that constantly "drop"(?) object on you that you can barely destroy. They always overwhelmed me. Also, when bosses have less and less "parts", the remaining parts shoot more and more projectiles until it becomes almost impossible to evade them anymore. I had no idea how to get through those. And it seemed to me like certain power ups did not appear after seeing the game over screen once. Thus it actually became much harder after dying a few times, or at least that was my impression.

• Thanks 1

That's just it, once you die you'll often lose a few lives. Fortunately the game is very generous with 1 ups! I used weapon 7 and powered it up to max at which point it decimates the bosses.  Fortunately only lost it a few times throughout the run. Weapon 0 powered up is also effective. What ships that drop weapons on you? There's definitely a lot going on and the nes handles it with no slowdown!

40 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Zen: Intergalactic Ninja is done.

Did you no death this? 28 min between games and the long play of zen is about that timeframe. Even if it was not no death, must have been first run through. If you write a strategy guide or book on how to get insanely good at NES games, I'll be the first to buy it. It's crazy to me you could just pick that up and beat it. Not doubting by any means, just envious. Zen isn't an easy game if I remember right either. 

Edit: it immediately occurred to me the 1 hour ago post isn't exactly an hour as I was assuming. Even if it took 45-50 minutes, crazy impressive nonetheless 

Edited by NESfiend
Bad Math

I tried Silkworm last night for the first time and made it to the last level on my second try! I was wondering what the fuss was all about but level 8 kicked my ass. I've tried a few more times and can't make it through that level. Does anybody recommend the Jeep over the Heli? The learning curve seems a bit steeper with the Jeep, I only tried it once and did much worse.

Then that's a testament to your skill. It took me many tries to even get to level 8 and I couldn't do that consistently. But beating that level is a whole different level. I guess you just have to learn that one by heart. And after that there's still the final boss battle, which is absolutely ridiculous as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

I tried Silkworm last night for the first time and made it to the last level on my second try! I was wondering what the fuss was all about but level 8 kicked my ass. I've tried a few more times and can't make it through that level. Does anybody recommend the Jeep over the Heli? The learning curve seems a bit steeper with the Jeep, I only tried it once and did much worse.

The game isn’t bad at all until you reach level 8. That’s where shit hits the fan with the swarms of enemies and bullets coming at you with little time to react. Then once you die and have to continue you lose some power ups and are to underpowered to have any chance. It’s shitty.

I have heard that the game is a bit easier with the jeep. I believe it was Crabmaster who was saying that when he beat it for the 2018 thread. I myself never bothered to put much time in with the jeep. 

• Like 1