IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

I've started my playthrough of Dragon Quest III yesterday and continued today. In the third game you can have a party of up to 4 heroes and basically recruit characters of a certain class and mix them up to your liking. Usually the game has a balanced preset party consisting of your hero, a warrior, priest and magician. But what I did was to recruit 3 martial artists, which means that I will have hardly any magic at all or rather only the few spells that the main characters has. This is probably going to be really tough, but on the flipside I have a really fast and offensive party. What's even better is that their extremely high speed stat adds additional points to defense. This combined with their high hit points makes them aktually pretty decent tanks who hardly require any armor or weapon upgrades at all. And so far the challenge has been very manageable. Certain dungeons have actually been really easy since all the enemies were dead before they could damage me. I'm not sure if I will keep this combo, but later on I can still do a class change and maybe get a priest and/or sage that inherit part of the martial artists' strength. Anyway, it's been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to how the journey of Cecil (the hero), Rinoa, Rikku and Kimahri will go on (btw. Rinoa is the undisputed MVP right now).

8 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've started my playthrough of Dragon Quest III yesterday and continued today. In the third game you can have a party of up to 4 heroes and basically recruit characters of a certain class and mix them up to your liking. Usually the game has a balanced preset party consisting of your hero, a warrior, priest and magician. But what I did was to recruit 3 martial artists, which means that I will have hardly any magic at all or rather only the few spells that the main characters has. This is probably going to be really tough, but on the flipside I have a really fast and offensive party. What's even better is that their extremely high speed stat adds additional points to defense. This combined with their high hit points makes them aktually pretty decent tanks who hardly require any armor or weapon upgrades at all. And so far the challenge has been very manageable. Certain dungeons have actually been really easy since all the enemies were dead before they could damage me. I'm not sure if I will keep this combo, but later on I can still do a class change and maybe get a priest and/or sage that inherit part of the martial artists' strength. Anyway, it's been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to how the journey of Cecil (the hero), Rinoa, Rikku and Kimahri will go on (btw. Rinoa is the undisputed MVP right now).

What I've done for the last couple of Etrian Odyssey games is just use a random number generator to select my party. It makes it fun because you never know what you're going to get (ended up with 3 mages in EO5). If you know what you're doing it's not difficult to win with any party, since you can always just grind a bit. I always name my party after other rpg characters or anime characters, too.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Beat Wizards and Warriors III tonight. Really enjoyed all three of these games. Each brings it's own flavor. 

Indeed, it is a very under appreciated series on the NES. I love how all three games are different in many aspects, and yet truly create a kind of unity.

• Like 1

Goal defeated. I've beaten Goal Two several times before, but this is the first time I've beaten the original. It's a lot more annoying to beat since you can't change the timer to have quick matches. I ended up beating Japan & USA in the semis and final, very realistic. Final was actually a great game, I was winning 2-0 with two minutes left, and it ended 3-3 and went to penalties. Luckily I won the shootout 5-4, mostly because the one time I messed up and shot straight down the middle, the cpu dove the right way and would've saved it. Also, there's a nice typo in the shootouts: "keyper" instead of keeper.

p8EG4ej.png

The Mafat Conspiracy is done.

@NESfiend

Thanks for the kind words regarding my near-annual clear of Paperboy 2. It is probably the hardest shooter that I am capable of beating. It's probably up to Kid Dracula to beat most of the remaining ones, since he seems to be a shooting ace. (I'm sure as Hell not...)

I've always been a fan of the Paperboy series, having grown up with the NES port of the first game and the Genesis port of the second. For anyone wondering, the Genesis port of Paperboy 2 is awesome; it's VASTLY superior to the NES and SNES versions.

I first noticed this challenge thread in the fall of 2012 when there were only a few games left. Of that list, Paperboy 2 was the only one remaining that interested me. I practiced for probably a couple of weeks before I got demoralized and forgot about it. I didn't actually debut in this competition until the late spring or summer of the 2013 edition. I think all of the games I beat in 2013 for the NES challenge were first-time clears for me, and with the momentum of seeing the end screens of so many childhood favorites for the first time, I picked up Paperboy 2 again and finally got to the oh-so-mediocre single-screen "Paperboy wins big!" final newspaper headline.

It was definitely a game that I had to memorize specific strategies for every medium to high threat trap. It seems like a much more methodical game than the first NES Paperboy; the original really spams you with hazards on the later days of the week. But Paperboy 2 still seems more difficult just because certain traps, like the crows that roost on the gravestones and castles, will home in and kill you unless you neutralize them with a paper before they're triggered. The firing angles of your papers are also far less predictable in Paperboy 2, and some shots at those damned crows will  take unnatural angles to break windows instead. It was a situation where I had to train myself to throw 2-3 papers at every crow in the later days to have every possible chance of neutralizing it before it costs me a life.