IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

I finally beat Dragon Quest II. Another big one off the list!

I would still say that the first half or two thirds of the game were great and a lot of fun. The battle system and the adventure-like exploration hold up fairly well for such an old game and it was mostly well balanced.

Where this game falls apart however is in the last part, basically when you're getting close to the Cave to Rhone and Hargon's Castle. Here you will face two dungeons with extremely difficult enemies and the Cave to Rhone is also incredibly long and treacherous. I think that just in these two dungeons I have probably spent around half of my total playtime trying to make it through and mapping these dungeons. When I started there I was a little bit over level 20 and when I finally beat the endboss I was almost at level 40 with my protagonist. These were some long, long grinding sessions spread out over many days, which is why I will probably take a short break from DQ before trying DQ III.

Dragon Quest II.jpg

Yeah, that moment was great and unexpected. And there was a lot of nice humor here and there too, e.g. the current King of Alefgard hiding in the weapon shop.

I took a break from turn-based RPGs and beat Whomp 'Em. A pretty decent and fun Mega Man clone. But it would have been better if the special weapons were a bit more useful. I mostly just used them in the final stage.

Whomp Em.jpg

Pro Sport Hockey is done. Looking through the options, I not only discovered two minute periods but an option to play one-period games. That made playing all 7 games of the super tournament pretty quick.

Also, I continue to be the first and only player of the points era to score at least 400 in every year. So, that's neat.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

18 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Pro Sport Hockey is done. Looking through the options, I not only discovered two minute periods but an option to play one-period games. That made playing all 7 games of the super tournament pretty quick.

Also, I continue to be the first and only player of the points era to score at least 400 in every year. So, that's neat.

Damn - I had pulled codename viper and pro sport hockey off the shelves. Played a little of codename viper, but didnt get much time in. Glad I checked the thread.

As far as pro sport hockey goes, I have beat that game for this list in the past and always assumed you had to play 7 3 period games. I thought games had to be played under standard/default settings and options. If you can change up difficulty settings and things like that, good to know going forward. 

Sorry, fiend. I guess great minds were thinking alike today.

But no, I've not seen anything about requiring default settings for most games. For instance, games like Tecmo Super Bowl and Tecmo NBA are still fair game if you skip the entire regular season. And in Tecmo NBA, you can even reduce the number of playoff games you have to play. There's still a certain risk to shortening the number of periods in Pro Sport Hockey or the number of games in Tecmo NBA; the margins for error are obviously greatly reduced for you as well. But I had confidence in my defense and I pitched 7 straight shutouts in Pro Sport today. Can't lose if they can't score, right?

10 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I thought games had to be played under standard/default settings and options. If you can change up difficulty settings and things like that, good to know going forward. 

Nope, as long as it's not one of the very few games where they don't let you play the whole game on an easier difficulty (like Bram Stoker's Dracula), it's fine to change it.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:45 AM, nerdynebraskan said:

I really liked Dragon Warrior II when I played it for this thread a few years ago. I got hit really hard in the nostalgia when I reached the continent from the first game and it started playing a sadder-tuned remix of the first game's music.

I'm a big fan of it too. I've played all of 1-11, and I'd say it's my second favorite in the whole series after 3. DQ5 is great too. I just prefer the earlier ones where there's more exploration and less story.

Edited by scaryice

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Thought I would grind out Silver Surfer as I’ve never completed that one. After realizing there was only 3 continues I pushed that to the side. That’ll be a hard earned 4 points for someone.

Played through Zanac instead and success!

The contest guys were calling it easy last year, maybe one of them can pop in and squeeze it out. 

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

The contest guys were calling it easy last year, maybe one of them can pop in and squeeze it out. 

It is a testament to the players that participate that any one person, let alone more than one, would call silver surfer easy. The top handful of people here are on a crazy level. 

17 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

It is a testament to the players that participate that any one person, let alone more than one, would call silver surfer easy. The top handful of people here are on a crazy level. 

I agree that Silver Surfer is not easy. That said, I dont think it’d even crack my top 5 for most difficult shmups. It’s definitely easier to beat than Silkworm, Star Soldier, Star Force, Starship Hector, and Burai Fighter (on “ultimate” setting which gives the final ending). I might even put Dino Riki and Sky Shark ahead of Silver Surfer as far as difficulty goes.