IGNORED

The President of the US has been impeached

CodysGameRoom

12 hours ago, Link said:

* per the DSM, psychopathy symptoms include:

• Exudes a sense of superiority or arrogance.
  • Impulsive and prone to taking risks or engaging in dangerous behavior with little regard to how it may affect others.
  • Lack of empathy or feelings towards others or a situation.
  • May display hostile, aggressive behavior, or become violent.
  • Being dishonest or lying to people.
  • No regard or care for what is right or wrong.
  • Being irresponsible.
  • Inability to maintain healthy relationships.
  • Lack of regard for rules or societal norms.

Well, to be fair, I know a number of teenagers (and adults) who exhibit most or all of these symptoms 😛

4 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Drop the "whataboutism".  Obama isn't the president right now and he isn't the one being impeached.

This is a tangent, but could you tell me what you believe the definition and function of whataboutism is? It's probably the sleep deprivation, but I'm struggling to form a clear picture in my own mind.

1 hour ago, m308gunner said:

This is a tangent, but could you tell me what you believe the definition and function of whataboutism is? It's probably the sleep deprivation, but I'm struggling to form a clear picture in my own mind.

It is a popular logical fallacy where people redirect with a "well what about so and so" when the "so and so" isn't relevant at all to the failings of the person being discussed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m308gunner said:

Well, to be fair, I know a number of teenagers (and adults) who exhibit most or all of these symptoms 😛

But a teenager exhibits opposite symptoms and you say she should be ignored as a child. Cute.

You say you don’t like the guy, but you continue to rationalize away any critique of him. This is why I tried to get at the roots of your belief system yesterday.

Oh, well. I’ll be over here, mixing drinks as usual.

2A0A31EC-0704-452B-A59F-E8896B6BC8B9.jpeg

20 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is a popular logical fallacy where people redirect with a "well what about so and so" when the "so and so" isn't relevant at all to the failings of the person being discussed.

Ah yes, I can see that being the case. 

Personally I would like to think of it as a consensus defining detour. Kind of backing up to a previous incident or person and seeing if both sides can agree on the characteristics/interpretation of said incident before moving on. 

Kind of like - "Are you (or I) biased, operating on a "team" mentality or a filthy commie? Let's talk about topic X to see before we return to topic Y." It's a way to see if you can agree on broader or related issues before arguing over something more specific. But that's just me, and my preferences don't amount to much in the broader scope.

17 hours ago, Link said:

But a teenager exhibits opposite symptoms and you say she should be ignored as a child. Cute.

You say you don’t like the guy, but you continue to rationalize away any critique of him. This is why I tried to get at the roots of your belief system yesterday.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your first statement, or why your would characterize something I said as "cute". Am I taking crazy pills, or have I yet to cast aspersions on anyone in this thread, while getting a decent amount thrown my way?

I haven't rationalized away every critique of him. Sometimes I have agreed with those in this thread who have opposing views. And I'm pretty sure I've just attempted to provide a different interpretation of events than the in-thread-mainstream would tend to offer. 

Have you ever gotten to the roots of ANYONE'S belief system (even your own) with any amount of fidelity? Cause I would think you would have to spend a protracted amount of face time with someone before you even scratched the surface.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:47 PM, Link said:

Would you say that is a backlash? Perhaps he is here to help cancel the left? 

Is it not possible Birther Trump was created by the Tea Party’s reaction to the Jeremiah Wright “scandal”? 

I would say the pendulum of societal norms swings wide these days and both sides should give it a rest.

I hadn't kept track of the Jeremiah Wright issue. Hmm... *reads a wiki*

There's alot of layers to that one, but I couldn't say Trump's ascension has/had too much to do with it. 

2 hours ago, m308gunner said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your first statement, or why your would characterize something I said as "cute".

I’m referring to Greta Thunberg. Who you said ought to be ignored by anyone except her parents because she is a child, in the thread about her. For you to also wave away characterization of The Donald as a psychopath because it is like being a teenager, when he is the president, sounds somewhat inconsistent to me.

Was not saying you’ve cast aspersions here. I hope that you don’t think I have cast any either, as my intention is just to pin down your statements.

3 hours ago, m308gunner said:

Have you ever gotten to the roots of ANYONE'S belief system (even your own) with any amount of fidelity?

Yes, I do feel that my opinions on politics are reasonably structured and clear. And I believe I have good grasp on those of other people I know. In many cases I don’t find that very difficult, even when we disagree. You have been another story. Which is fine, but you can’t blame me for trying; it’s very much like the bias check you perform. Or attempt, anyway.

• Like 1

To be honest we haven't had a really good president in a long time.  I think Obama won thanks to GW Bush, and I think Trump won thanks to Obama.  IMO people don't support trump because they like him, or think he has their best interests at heart, they do it because what he is doing is benefiting them as well.  Personally I like that fact that the economy is doing well and less people are on welfare and government programs.  I also like the tougher stance he's making on bad trade deals.  The US shouldn't be subsidizing China's postal service.  I do think he should stay off twitter, however.  I also feel like Bloomberg could give him a run for his money with centrists and swing voters, but that's just my opinion.  Put two cents with it and that's how much it's worth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Link said:

I’m referring to Greta Thunberg. Who you said ought to be ignored by anyone except her parents because she is a child, in the thread about her. For you to also wave away characterization of The Donald as a psychopath because it is like being a teenager, when he is the president, sounds somewhat inconsistent to me.

Was not saying you’ve cast aspersions here. I hope that you don’t think I have cast any either, as my intention is just to pin down your statements.

Yes, I do feel that my opinions on politics are reasonably structured and clear. And I believe I have good grasp on those of other people I know. In many cases I don’t find that very difficult, even when we disagree. You have been another story. Which is fine, but you can’t blame me for trying; it’s very much like the bias check you perform. Or attempt, anyway.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification. 

To be clear, the comment was a bit tongue in cheek (which I understand you do not always approve of depending on the context). I do not mean to wave away similarities between the list and Trump, merely to point out that many a teenager, in the course of their development, will be prone to exhibit multiple traits mentioned in said list, sometimes at the same time. It might be fair to state that Trump exhibits multiple symptoms that properly diagnosed psychopaths also exhibit (it might even feel good to do so if one is not feeling charitably inclined towards the man), but it would be foolish to attempt to make a definitive clinical analysis from afar, especially given the more extreme antisocial manifestations true psychopaths exhibit.

As to my thoughts on ignoring emotional children (Greta) in the course of crafting legislation to combat climate change and how that is linked to your diagnosis of Trump... I might need you to plot out the common threads or inconsistencies, cause all I've got right now are: Greta is a teenager who relies on emotional speeches to drive her message - teenagers exhibit psychopathic tendencies - Trump exhibits psychopathic tendencies. It kinda reminds me of the old "Hitler had a dog, and you have a dog, so you're as bad as Hitler" motif.  

Point by point, Greta does not exhibit the symptoms. She doesn’t want attention (but sees no other way to force the issue, [tangent redacted])   She speaks out to stop dangerous behavior that poses risk and consequences to others. She demands truth and responsibility. But she’s a teenager and emotional to boot, so you say ignore her. 

The Donald is arrogant, takes impulse and risk on international scale, no regard for consequences or accountability or right or wrong, is violent, etc. Many teenagers haven’t had time to figure that shit out. He’s 73 years old and the president. Saying “to be fair other people do that too” comes down to “nbd” (with bigger words)

16 hours ago, m308gunner said:

the comment was a bit tongue in cheek

It’s a good thing this isn’t a debate. Still, with this continued attitude, I see no point to continue this conversation. If I respond to or question anything you say, maybe you’ll come back with “lol j/k”. Not worth any more time or energy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

I've been keeping quiet here but nobody has mentioned Iran and the assassination yet. Thoughts? Seems like Trump is trying to distract from his domestic issues and drum up support by picking a fight.

The guy killed was no saint, but the way it was done was definitely shady.

Plus, threatening to destroy cultural sites shouldn't be something we're doing. Especially when other countries do it (i.e., the Taliban), we start pressing for war crimes.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Plus, threatening to destroy cultural sites shouldn't be something we're doing. Especially when other countries do it (i.e., the Taliban), we start pressing for war crimes.

What’s so shady about it?

Clean tactical hit, out in the open. Dude deserved it. He was behind lots of attacks against the U.S. 

I understand the importance of cultural sites but what if the enemy is planning out attacks in “cultural sites” and are using them as advantages cause “the U.S don’t attack cultural sites”what are we suppose to do? Give them them a call and tell them to come outside to attack them. 

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Do you think it is weird that almost every liberal democrat on tv says the guy was bad and they don't like the way it was carried out, implying that if he killed the guy a different way that it is okay.

1. Liberal talking point #1.

Edited by Californication

10 minutes ago, Bear85 said:

What’s so shady about it?

Clean tactical hit, out in the open. Dude deserved it. He was behind lots of attacks against the U.S. 

I understand the importance of cultural sites but what if the enemy is planning out attacks in “cultural sites” and are using them as advantages cause “the U.S don’t attack cultural sites”what are we suppose to do? Give them them a call and tell them to come outside to attack them. 

He was behind attacks against the U.S.?

You do know that he is a general with people that we are at a proxy war wirh right?

1. Conservative talking point 1.

If he was such a bad dude, how come none of us have ever heard of him before? Doesn't sound like a good reason to start a direct war to me.

The problem is that the liberals and the conservatives are down to start another war for no reason. 

How do you think politicians do people favors? One way is to give a company billion dollar military contracts because they go unquestioned. That is why the liberals and the conservatives have no problem increasing the military budget each year or staring wars.

They literally did this with Venezuela last year. When did Venezuela attack us after we didn't go to war with them?

• Like 1