IGNORED

I'm Not Crying. YOU'RE Crying!

DarkTone

What's the saddest moment in tv or movie history? 

I saw this asked online, and thought I would throw it out here. Some answers I saw included the red wedding, "not penny's boat", bambi's mum, and the never ending story horse. I haven't seen any of this BTW

Whats your answer?

Pretty much the whole movie of The Pawnbroker.   Most depressing movie ever made IMHO.  Midnight Express was no tea party either,

The ending(s) of On the Beach as each character met their inescapable fate were also pretty powerful.  

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Maybe “sad” isn’t the right word but, man, we all know that Schindler’s List is pretty powerful.

Good storytellers are definitely capable of pulling all emotions out of us, including sadness, but in my opinion nothings worse than a true story that addresses something very real and tragic.

Old Yeller got me as a kid.  As an adult, it isn't usually the sad moments that get me, but maybe more like the "hopeless" moments.  Somewhat recent movies like "Beasts of No Nation" or "Lion" had scenes that stuck with me as examples of horrible things that will likely always be with us.

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Oh man, my wife will STILL not watch this episode.  I make jokes about turning it on to see if she's softened to watching it again, but she's adamant.

Futurama is the best and there were a handful of these tear jerkers.  The one about Fry‘s brother gets me every time too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've looooong heard people say the saddest move is "Grave of the Fireflies" and it's been on my personal To Watch list for years.

Yeah... I just started it and I'm two minutes in... this one's gonna be tough to watch.  I'm already getting a bit choked up.

• Like 1

While Grave of the Fireflies is quite sad, I found Barefoot Gen even sadder (and a better movie imo).

My vote for saddest movie moment (as opposed to just overall sad movie) is the ending of Dancer in the Dark with Bjork.  The ending of Pixar's Coco got me pretty damn good too.

Some recent tearjerkers that got me: The Whale, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Some of the all-timers:

My Girl
My Life
Cinema Paradiso
Life is Beautiful
Toy Story 3
Won't You Be my Neighbor
Braveheart
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

In book form:
Marley and Me (much more emotional than the movie)
Bridge to Terabithia

Edited by G-type

Now that sent a string of other thoughts…

• Sling Blade
  • Million Dollar Baby (though I ended up feeling more enraged at her family than sad.)
  • District 9

My gosh, I had NO idea what District 9 was about going in but when it became immediately clear it was an allegory to the apartheid, I was gut-wrenched the entire time because I had noooo clue how they were going to end that frill, whether on a happy or sad note.

Speaking of, @Reed Rothchild, I recommend that one for a movie debate/discussion.  That was a really good film, but I could only watch it once.