IGNORED

Game Debate #188: Assassin's Creed

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

20 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Ive Never played the original.  Only ever played the Greek one and some of the Viking one.  Those were both pretty fun.  What was this PS3?  I’m pretty sure no one even played that generation of systems.

It's odd how, sometimes, that feels very accurate.

I haven’t played the first one but the series seems to go up and down from what I’ve read.

I enjoyed 2, 3 was boring and 4 I became obsessed with naval combat and enjoyed the pirate story line. I haven’t played any after that. I’d go a 6 or 7 on the Reed scale for 2 and 4.

• Like 1

My 32" TV is too small for any of these games, I can't read the text. I might try again when I upgrade, but I have yet to find a game of this style in which the wayfinding makes sense to me. I don't know why.

Editorials Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Have yet to play it, but I will at some point. I have the whole series on Steam up to Odyssey, just gotta get around to playing them all. Thus far I've played 4, Rogue, and Unity, all of which I enjoyed a lot.

Going back to 1 after 4 is going to feel very, very limiting

The series as a whole ranges from pretty good to great

In particular part 2, for the more refined gameplay and story.  Going in the other direction, part4 is just full of fun as hell pirate shenanigans. 

I do think it kind of lost it's way when it switched from stealth sandbox to open world rpg, but those titles have their fans too.  I hear Mirage is more a return to form though.

6/10

This first one definitely has some issues (the big thing for me, if I recall, was lack of an effective fast travel, making exploring a real slog), but you could definitely see the potential there, which would obviously be better realized in the sequels. Not a bad game and I mostly enjoyed my time with it, but even still this would be the last one I would ever want to revisit, if at all.

I dunno - I think the original game has some things going for it.  I should say that I haven't really played it since it was new, and while I do agree that 2 is a better game, the lack of things like "upgrade your villa" creates a bit more streamlined experience.  I also felt the science fiction of the animus was really only taken seriously in this first game where the Desmond character is interesting and had potential to expand the fiction in a way that eventually kinda fell flat.  It is also a setting that is pretty unusual for any story or video game.  While the Crusades gets referenced a lot, there isn't a lot of fiction set in the 12th century.

Voted 8

On 1/24/2024 at 8:23 PM, RH said:

It's odd how, sometimes, that feels very accurate.

Yes the x360/ps3 generation was a super short and uneventful with absolutely no influential games that would impact everything to come, due to their immense popularity XD

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

We saw how successful I was the one year I tried!😅

It's like working out.  You may have fallen off the wagon back in 2021 because you sneezed too hard and wrecked your back and then by the time it felt better you were really into watching reruns of The X-Files from your Lazy-Boy all night...

But that doesn't you can't go drop a dumbbell on yourself in 2024!

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think we're going to need some Zoomers to answer that for us

Really just depends on what your definition of modern is. Personally, I consider the 6th generation, PS2/Xbox to be the start of the modern era of gaming, but everyone's thoughts and opinions on that will differ.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think we're going to need some Zoomers to answer that for us

In AC if you die you desync and just respawn. Just 2 years earlier the same company, the sameish genre: Prince of Persia Warrior Within has game overs like it's 1981. Xbox 360 is definitely the dividing line between old and new for me where most games became really "lean back and win" experiences.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1