IGNORED

Game Debate #188: Assassin's Creed

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Really just depends on what your definition of modern is. Personally, I consider the 6th generation, PS2/Xbox to be the start of the modern era of gaming, but everyone's thoughts and opinions on that will differ.

For me it’s the breach from primarily CRT gaming to HDMI.

Analog to Digital output made a big difference.

• Agree 1

I'm waiting for the postmodern game era. Where you play a game within a game within a game and it keeps going down that meta rabbit hole until you lose your place in the universe and can never get back. Ever.

Or some kind of first person shooter with a slightly different gun. Either/or. 

• Haha 1

Given enough time it all becomes retro and we just break it up into categories. Similar to movies with silent era, black and white etc. it all becomes old stuff to the next generation. After all, the term retro is just short for retrograde, looking back at the past and styles.

Xbox and PS2 are definitely not modern games now. 360 I think is sort of on the border, a few franchises are still going from that era and it was also a really long era of video games. But give it another 10-15 years and the majority of 5 year olds of today will look at Assassins Creed and think it is so archaic and retro.

Editorials Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I'm waiting for the postmodern game era. Where you play a game within a game within a game and it keeps going down that meta rabbit hole until you lose your place in the universe and can never get back. Ever.

Or some kind of first person shooter with a slightly different gun. Either/or. 

We're already in the postmodern gaming era.  Now you experience games entirely through memes, tiktok, and live streamers.  It's a bold new frontier.  Actually playing games is for boomers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

We're already in the postmodern gaming era.  Now you experience games entirely through memes, tiktok, and live streamers.  It's a bold new frontier.  Actually playing games is for boomers.

So we should all just watch Tabonga play all the games. 

Works for me. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I just polled my entire work team of Zoomers on the matter...

They all said "what is Assassin's Creed?" And then went back to their discussion of Palworld 😂

I mean Assassin's Creed is a series that's still ongoing to this day and is generally pretty well-known so that's a pretty bizarre response, haha.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I just polled my entire work team of Zoomers on the matter...

They all said "what is Assassin's Creed?" And then went back to their discussion of Palworld 😂

People think Super Mario Bros and Pokemon will matter forever, meanwhile in 15 years people are going to be talking about Jetpack Joyrride like it was the birth of "real" video games.

• Haha 1

Played the original for about an hour. Interesting concept but the game itself was only average.

Played AC2 for about 8 hours and enjoyed it quite a bit at the time...but have not revisited it since, what...2010?

Have not played any other game in the franchise, so no comments there.

6/10, I guess?

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

People think Super Mario Bros and Pokemon will matter forever, meanwhile in 15 years people are going to be talking about Jetpack Joyrride like it was the birth of "real" video games.

I downloaded Jetpack Joyride a couple weeks ago after doing a YouTube search for "mobile games that aren't complete garbage" and seeing it recommended. No joke, one of the videos was of a 20-something talking about it with nostalgia from his "distant childhood" and how they "don't make mobile games like this anymore". I mean, nothing wrong with that. Nobody gets to choose when they were born and you gotta appreciate every day you're given but it just made me chuckle a little inside when I realized that the game came out in 2011 and...fuck...now I feel old! 😅

By the way, the game itself? Yeah...I uninstalled it after about 20 minutes. I guess you just had to be a kid in the 2010's.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I downloaded Jetpack Joyride a couple weeks ago after doing a YouTube search for "mobile games that aren't complete garbage" and seeing it recommended. No joke, one of the videos was of a 20-something talking about it with nostalgia from his "distant childhood" and how they "don't make mobile games like this anymore". I mean, nothing wrong with that. Nobody gets to choose when they were born and you gotta appreciate every day you're given but it just made me chuckle a little inside when I realized that the game came out in 2011 and...fuck...now I feel old! 😅

By the way, the game itself? Yeah...I uninstalled it after about 20 minutes. I guess you just had to be a kid in the 2010's.

I was born in '88 and I really like Jetpack Joyride as a game. Similar to Robot Unicorn Attack, I like endless runners as they do eventually ramp up on the speed and difficulty factor.

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I was born in '88 and I really like Jetpack Joyride as a game. Similar to Robot Unicorn Attack, I like endless runners as they do eventually ramp up on the speed and difficulty factor.

I actually rather enjoyed Temple Run and Temple Run 2 a half-dozen years ago or so. They were entertaining for what they were and weren't overtaken by predatory gimmicks. Honestly, I still haven't been able to find a decent (free or one-time payment) mobile game and have been thinking about just going back to Temple Run because...well...everything else has just felt hollow and scummy. Will gladly take any suggestions.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I actually rather enjoyed Temple Run and Temple Run 2 a half-dozen years ago or so. They were entertaining for what they were and weren't overtaken by predatory gimmicks. Honestly, I still haven't been able to find a decent (free or one-time payment) mobile game and have been thinking about just going back to Temple Run because...well...everything else has just felt hollow and scummy. Will gladly take any suggestions.

Temple Run was a lot of fun, for sure.

48 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Or are you... 🤔

38 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Truth is, sometimes... I could have lol. I used to have PCSX2 on my work laptop, but I mostly played Final Fantasy XII on it.

Ya know... they say once something is on the internet, it's there forever. And lately more and more, I've been finding that's not true. Any time I want to find some shit I saw online 20 years ago, it's just nowhere to be found. The Wayback Machine is a noble effort, but often doesn't have what I'm looking for. And right now I'm looking for just such a thing. Anyway, 

[img] laptop the size of a briefcase, with two very long hinges dot jpeg [/img]