IGNORED

Game Debate #185: Superman (N64)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Lol, notoriously the worst N64 game, at least for NTSC.  For that reason alone I want to get a copy and give it a try.

You guys are real gamers, so I'm interested in hearing what anyone thinks who's given it an honest try.

Did anyone own this one as a kid?

I beat it last year, but I have no idea what to rate this game. The flying through rings works and is actually enjoyable, but all the short missions in between are laughably bad and if you fail you have to redo the rings.

You will die a lot for stupid reasons because the game is broken, like you take damage during a cutscene or sometimes just fall when you fly into something. As frustrating as these moments can be, it did make me laugh more than most games. I even had 1 mission where I died after finishing a mission 😂

BNUSAtI.png

It almost reaches so bad it's good territory for me. I'll just give it a 3.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 5

While I've technically played the beginning of the first stage for about 5 minutes once, I won't count that as enough effort to have "played the game". Therefore, it gets a "never played, never will" nudge. It's a shame too, because the animated series on which it's based is probably my favorite piece of Superman media and deserved a decent game. In fact, Superman on the whole has been pretty notoriously shit on when it comes to video game adaptations.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think it's a tiny (emphasize TINY) bit better than its overall reputation*, but not by much. Once you get past the rings bullshit, there are a few levels that start to feel like a proper Superman game. But they're few and far between, and even they don't stand out much.

*in the sense of WORST POSSIBLE GAME EVER IT WILL EAT YOUR GOLDFISH KILL IT WITH FIRE reputation

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

rented this as a kid since i'm a big superhero fan. found it to be bad. the only thing i really remember was flying through the rings, but found it boring and frustrating. 

i'll be generous and give it a 2 since i have no memory of non-ring stages or missions.

49 minutes ago, Estil said:

And do you know why this blue guy is called the mailman?  Come to think of it I think there was a basketball player called the Mailman...

Need more detail. Why is he a vampire? Does he sparkle? If he's a count, where's his county located? If he lived in Portugal, wouldn't he be called the comte? Also, why doesn't the blue guy go to the hospital for hypothermia treatment? Don't mailmen get healthcare? 

There's more questions than answers here!