IGNORED

Best & Worst: Movie Edition

DarkTone

Best: Batman NES. It's fucking Batman. End of discussion.

Worst: The Last Starfighter for NES. In addition to what is hands down the worst shooter on the system in existence, there was a video game in the movie, and this game is NOTHING LIKE IT! They just grabbed a C64 game and crammed it in an NES cart and called it a day.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 5

Best: Batman on NES, as well as Die Hard.  Its SUPER accurate to the movie.  Dick Tracy did a great job with the sprites for the goons in the game too.  Ive heard Willow was really good too.

Worst: HOME ALONE I HATE YOU SO MUCH. Darkman because Oceans controls are just AWFUL.  Hook looks really bad too, graphically.  Like it was made 5 years before it came out.

• Like 3

I've brought up my love for Stargate in the past.  I really loved that movie as a kid.  I got the game for the Game Gear for Christmas one year, not knowing what it was and... it turned out to be a basic puzzle game.

I ended up liking it after a while because I can enjoy a good puzzle game.  Regardless, other than the theming, it has absolutely nothing to do with Stargate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Ive heard Willow was really good too.

Willow is a pretty good adventure game with RPG elements, sort of like Zelda II. Not super faithful to the movie, as 99% of the time you're alone, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's not beholden to the story to the point where the gameplay suffers.

Best: Peter Jackson's King Kong

Worst: Spice World (ps1) or Fantasia (smd)

If anything based on a movie license (but not the specific movie) counts, I'd say Rogue Squadron 2 or Jedi Knight would take the spot as best.
If a movie that was planned but never finished counts, Capcom's Alien vs. Predator would win.

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Willow is a pretty good adventure game with RPG elements, sort of like Zelda II. Not super faithful to the movie, as 99% of the time you're alone, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's not beholden to the story to the point where the gameplay suffers.

NES Willow is enjoyable, but I'd say the arcade game is much better. Has that excellent late 80s Capcom platformer tightness, with some routing. inventory and RPG elements thrown in to make it stand out.

And you get to play as both Willow and Madmartigan. Actually a really good entry for this thread. 🙂 

willow.png 10327.jpg 

• Wow! 1

Sticking with the NES because I know the library reasonably well...

The good: Gremlins 2, Batman, Friday the 13th, Rambo, Dick Tracy, Die Hard, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

The bad: The Karate Kid, Wayne's World, Cliffhanger, Terminator 2, Cool World, Dirty Harry, Total Recall, Cliffhanger

The ugly: The Last Starfighter, Days of Thunder, Home Alone, Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure

Obviously it's not an exhaustive list.  Good games are games I thoroughly enjoy playing.  Bad games are games that are decently playable, not great, but can be fun if you give it a chance.  The ugly are games that I just can't find the fun in, no matter how hard I try.

• Like 2

Honestly, there are way too many to name on both ends of the spectrum. Despite the general reputation, there are honestly quite a few movie-license games that are fun. If I have to give a quick, "off-the-top-of-my-head" answer while avoiding games already mentioned, here goes:

Best: Spider-Man 2 (Gamecube/X-Box/PS2)

Worst: Oi vey, where to start? How about Batman Forever (SNES/GEN)

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

NES Willow is enjoyable, but I'd say the arcade game is much better. Has that excellent late 80s Capcom platformer tightness, with some routing. inventory and RPG elements thrown in to make it stand out.

And you get to play as both Willow and Madmartigan. Actually a really good entry for this thread. 🙂

Never played the platformer, though I was aware of it. Looks cool.

NES Home Alone is definitely bad. The main problem is that it's too tedious. You do the same thing over and over for twenty realtime minutes.

To me, they should have tried something akin to Haunting Starring Poulterguy on Genesis, where different events are triggered. The joy of the movie was watching Kevin take out the Wet Bandits with a variety of funny traps. They couldn't at least attempt that in the game? Rather than just make them fall down?

Then again, it's a THQ game, so you probably can't expect much from them.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

willow.png 10327.jpg 

Oh yeah that game is awesome everything is on point. That probably would be my #1 movie based game.

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Sticking with the NES because I know the library reasonably well...

The good: Gremlins 2, Batman, Friday the 13th, Rambo, Dick Tracy, Die Hard, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

The bad: The Karate Kid, Wayne's World, Cliffhanger, Terminator 2, Cool World, Dirty Harry, Total Recall, Cliffhanger

The ugly: The Last Starfighter, Days of Thunder, Home Alone, Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure

Obviously it's not an exhaustive list.  Good games are games I thoroughly enjoy playing.  Bad games are games that are decently playable, not great, but can be fun if you give it a chance.  The ugly are games that I just can't find the fun in, no matter how hard I try.

I love how cliffhanger was so bad, you mentioned it twice haha. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Never played the platformer, though I was aware of it. Looks cool.

NES Home Alone is definitely bad. The main problem is that it's too tedious. You do the same thing over and over for twenty realtime minutes.

To me, they should have tried something akin to Haunting Starring Poulterguy on Genesis, where different events are triggered. The joy of the movie was watching Kevin take out the Wet Bandits with a variety of funny traps. They couldn't at least attempt that in the game? Rather than just make them fall down?

Then again, it's a THQ game, so you probably can't expect much from them.

The damn GB Home Alone is better because its a port of the SNES version!  GOD I HATE THAT GAME.

I do want to say that other infamously bad games: Friday the 13th, Last Action Hero, Cliffhanger, Terminator, Nightmare on Elm St, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Swamp Thing (does that count?) Jaws, Waynes World, Indiana Jones Last Crusade (Ubisoft) I actually REALLY like haha, but I can understand why people wouldn't.

Other games that are pretty decent but get overlooked: Batman Returns, Lethal Weapon, Star Trek and the Star Wars games people never talk about. 

For other absolutely dreadful ones, I should also throw in Bram Stokers Dracula and Ghostbusters

OH!! I just forgot a GREAT one because its a PAL exclusive, NEW GHOSTBUSTERS 2!

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

😆 I didn't notice that.  My brain is broken 😆 

I actually like Cliffhanger to be honest, but it's objectively not a good game. 

Have you played the SNES version? The enemies surround you, have a bigger range than you, always hit before you do. Sometimes you freeze on the spot and can't even move around.

Then the way he'd do that tip-toeing on an edge and fall over really pissed me the fuck off. 

On the running stages sometimes he'd just stop in his tracks and get swept up by the chasing screen.

I kept getting frustrated on clunky and shitty everything was but now that i finished it after countless of hours i kinda feel it's a good game after all. All the issues got translated to challenge. There was also a decent amount of variety between the fighting, platforming and climbing and it was cool too see how they incorporated the movie's villains into the games scenario. I kept thinking back-and-forth about how they acted there and here.

Edited by cartman

56 minutes ago, cartman said:

Have you played the SNES version? The enemies surround you, have a bigger range than you, always hit before you do. Sometimes you freeze on the spot and can't even move around.

Then the way he'd do that tip-toeing on an edge and fall over really pissed me the fuck off. 

On the running stages sometimes he'd just stop in his tracks and get swept up by the chasing screen.

I kept getting frustrated on clunky and shitty everything was but now that i finished it after countless of hours i kinda feel it's a good game after all. All the issues got translated to challenge. There was also a decent amount of variety between the fighting, platforming and climbing and it was cool too see how they incorporated the movie's villains into the games scenario. I kept thinking back-and-forth about how they acted there and here.

Oh yeah, the SNES version is all around trash.