IGNORED

Best & Worst: Movie Edition

DarkTone

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's not complete trash, but yeah, i wouldn't call it good, nevermind great.  Ghostbusters II as well...it's an alright game, but it's far from great.

I played a lot of Ghostbusters II as a kid and I enjoyed it, but I never got very far. I think the farthest I got was the Statue of Liberty level, but I feel like I was a teenager when I did so. Those driving sections can be pretty unforgiving at times if I recall.

8 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Oh yeah, the SNES version is all around trash.

Yeah all the single components that make up the game are pretty much flawed. Still i kept coming back, wanting to get further and beat it. There's definitely a positive bias added to it by having beaten it. If i didn't i'd feel worse about the game.

3 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Home Alone 2?  Really?

Yeah, dude! Plenty of weapons/items and secret items and Kevin can move quickly. There are boss fights and the music is decent. It's not a terribly long game, especially for better NES players, but I'd recommend it to action/platformer fans of the NES

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's not complete trash, but yeah, i wouldn't call it good, nevermind great.  Ghostbusters II as well...it's an alright game, but it's far from great.

Rare L here, Wiz. Fans of Ghostbusters will enjoy the game as the music is good, the levels challenge between side-scrolling and driving, and there is difficulty to keep replay up. I would yield that, yes, memorization is key, however.

Edited by The Count

2 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I started the Cool World movie once but didnt get very far before I shut it off.  Was it actually any good?

The movie isn't great. It has a few neat ideas and...well...Kim Basinger but it was clearly just an attempt to replicate the success of Roger Rabbit and it didn't work out. I've long heard the game was terrible, so I've never even booted it up.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, AstralSoul said:

Never actually saw the movie, only played the game and knew it was based off the movie. But the game is one of the worst I've ever played. 

I never saw the movie as a kid, but had the game. I LOVED the game, though I didn't understand what was going on in the slightest. Turns out it wasn't just being a dumb kid, it's a straight up confusing, shit game. The music though is really really awesome.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Oh yeah Cool World and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, those are rotten, how could I forget!

IIRC with Roger Rabbit, theres something stupid about the game like getting the dynamite which is almost impossible because its a random spawn in the shop?  I remember having a lot of difficulty with that because of something the game was doing. 

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

This is way out of left field. What makes it so good? I'm genuinely curious if this is a game I should pick up!

Is it? 🙂 The game was quite revered when it came out - mostly in the face of the poor reputation movie licenses had.

Not that I think the reputation is deserved. There are plenty of good movie adaptations, I agree most of the ones mentioned in this thread are good. But few really rise above simply being good, there's not really anything that hangs out with what I'd generally consider my favourite games, and I really had to dig several pages into my personal game ratings before finding the highest rated direct movie licenses (plenty of other *franchise* licenses surpass it, but not any directly based on a movie) 

King Kong is very good though! 

This was back during that short period when Ubisoft was still a well respected company making unique games during the PS2 and early X360 era (think Beyond Good & Evil, Sands of Time, etc). King Kong really stood out for its unique gameplay for an FPS, and honestly still does today. It's mostly focused around fighting off dinosaurs, but you rely on very limited resources and need to outsmart them, use what materials you have at hand to try and trap them, and generally fight strategically instead of going all Turok on them. 

As an added element of immersion you also have no UI whatsoever, but use a button to have the main character tell you how much ammo you have left (which is usually very little). Sounds annoying but it actually works well in this context. 

I think the thematic setpieces were also really impressive at the time, though they probably stand out much less today. Like when you find yourself beneath the feet of a massive brachiosaur herd. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Is it? 🙂 The game was quite revered when it came out - mostly in the face of the poor reputation movie licenses had.

Not that I think the reputation is deserved. There are plenty of good movie adaptations, I agree most of the ones mentioned in this thread are good. But few really rise above simply being good, there's not really anything that hangs out with what I'd generally consider my favourite games, and I really had to dig several pages into my personal game ratings before finding the highest rated direct movie licenses (plenty of other *franchise* licenses surpass it, but not any directly based on a movie) 

King Kong is very good though! 

This was back during that short period when Ubisoft was still a well respected company making unique games during the PS2 and early X360 era (think Beyond Good & Evil, Sands of Time, etc). King Kong really stood out for its unique gameplay for an FPS, and honestly still does today. It's mostly focused around fighting off dinosaurs, but you rely on very limited resources and need to outsmart them, use what materials you have at hand to try and trap them, and generally fight strategically instead of going all Turok on them. 

As an added element of immersion you also have no UI whatsoever, but use a button to have the main character tell you how much ammo you have left (which is usually very little). Sounds annoying but it actually works well in this context. 

I think the thematic setpieces were also really impressive at the time, though they probably stand out much less today. Like when you find yourself beneath the feet of a massive brachiosaur herd. 

I think you nailed it with most movie adaptations having a reputation for being bad. I must say there are more than a few I did not enjoy from that era. But I did enjoy a couple, the Spidermans in paticular. I'll have to check this one out! 

I suppose I should add my two cents on the subject too. SpongeBob The movie on GBA was a quality little sidescroller I definetly enjoyed. Best overall is the boring pick, Goldeneye. I know modern controls make Goldeneye feel dated, but if you can reteach yourself N64 controls, it is an absolutely phenomenal game.