IGNORED

Game Debate #177: Five Nights at Freddy's

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Administrator · Posted

It does what it aimed to do well - atmosphere, tension, and jump scares. So well that it became what it is now, which from the outside seems a bit bloated, but I imagine the games themselves likely improved on the formula over time, if we ignore the weird spinoff. I've only played the first and didn't play for long (nor beat it) but the concept works. Heck I might even jump back into it one day. Probably a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me. 

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Sumez said:

Isn't that the (reportedly crappy) movie everyone is talking about right now?

I mean, kinda depends on who you ask, critics or audience

517b9e692e0526330f429692b6ea5ad2.png

17 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm an adult so I haven't played it

I was 12, going on 13 when the first game came out so I was pretty much the prime age for when the whole FNAF craze started.

Looking at it objectively, first game is alright. Nothing all that special, but certainly not bad, and it's definitely effective at setting a good tone. Does both creepy scary and jumpy scary very well, it's just that the gameplay is very very basic. I agree with Gloves' rating of a 6.

• Like 1

I played the original for about an hour or so when it was first released. I think the concept was neat and felt it created a good, tense atmosphere. The design space was pretty compact back then but I think that worked to the game's benefit. I haven't play any of the sequels but I can't imagine it was really made any better as a horror experience as a result. Horror works well when it is focused and personal and I think that's what made the first game successful.

Personally, I think the FNAF-inspired game Tattletail was the best experience from this genre because it was a pretty expert blend of 90's nostalgia, animatronic horror and an absurdist approach to the "dark and spooky with jump scares" horror game tropes. If you like the idea of the original FNAF and those kinds of games, try out Tattletail. I thought it was good fun.

Edited by Webhead123

Events Team · Posted

Not sure which in the series I've played.  Probably 3 or 4 of them for maybe 20 minutes all told.  Dig the concept and jump scares but I'm pretty meh on the whole experience.

My kid would probably give it a 10.  He and his friends are deep in the craze.  Took his crew to the movie last Friday and it was honestly a good time with all the fans there.  I'd give the movie a solid high 6.  

Here's the the boy in his full Springtrap costume we made trying to scare his sister.

MdEJg1W.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I mean, kinda depends on who you ask, critics or audience

A 27/88 movie between critics and audiences sounds to me like a surefire guarantee for garbage 😄

Have there ever been any examples of that not being the case?

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

I remember when this came out and the reviews dumped on it pretty hard. It looks like rubbish to me and mainly aimed at 12 year olds as their first horror adventure. The movie looks even worse.

When there is a mountain of great horror games for me to still play on the ps2 I don’t see the point in ever playing it. My first never played it never will.

19 hours ago, Sumez said:

A 27/88 movie between critics and audiences sounds to me like a surefire guarantee for garbage

There was a big gap between critics and audience scores for the Super Mario movie. I guess it comes down to expectations. Critics are comparing it to other movies, and audiences just want to have a good time.

11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Comparisons to Night Trap don't leave me optimistic though.

It's only like Night Trap in that you have to keep switching cameras around to monitor threats. But whereas Night Trap it just becomes a chore and isn't that scary (though NT has kind of a goofy charm), FNAF at least has an immersive quality and a well designed rise in tension, and that makes a big difference.

As others mentioned, it's not the deepest game, but it does what it does pretty darn well.

Edited by Tulpa

• 3 weeks later...

A game that seemingly turned video game horror into a joke unto itself. No need for subtly or nuance anymore, just cheap jumpscares.

Maybe wouldn't be as offensive if it weren't such a big deal on YouTube with the kids. Maybe I am just old, but it is sad seeing kids celebrate something so banal and trashy. Maybe Five Nights at Freddy's only works on kids who grew up with Showbiz Pizza and Chuck E Cheese? I never went to them.

27 minutes ago, Koopa64 said:

A game that seemingly turned video game horror into a joke unto itself. No need for subtly or nuance anymore, just cheap jumpscares.

Maybe wouldn't be as offensive if it weren't such a big deal on YouTube with the kids. Maybe I am just old, but it is sad seeing kids celebrate something so banal and trashy. Maybe Five Nights at Freddy's only works on kids who grew up with Showbiz Pizza and Chuck E Cheese? I never went to them.

The fnaf fan base is mostly too young to have gone to a pizza place with animatronics.

also kind of strange to be offended by its popularity

Edited by G-type