IGNORED

There's an NWC in the wild tonight

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

I like how this quickly went from "Oooh, new NWC!" to pros and cons of reddit.

At least there’s not a bunch of people scheming to contact the oop who clearly decided to take a step away for a moment and think. I feel like that’s something that could have happened if this had showed up on some forums in bygone days.

I go to that subreddit very infrequently these days.  I don’t like it there.  It doesn’t at all have the feeling of interacting with people who have the shared collecting experience over the years with you that you get here.  
I‘ve complained before that I think the demographic there is too young for me.

That being said,

Cool NWC.  I’ll be following this as it unfolds I think.

• Agree 1

On 10/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, RH said:

Well, it was pretty foolish to post that right away to Reddit anyway.  There's now a record of it, so when it shows up, whether in a week or in 10 years, it's origination will have been known to have been in the back of a thrift shop.

This part is kind of a concern I had and didn't post that first time.  Some people are pretty savvy, more than they should be given the skill set they probably don't need for their jobs, usually from a mix of fun or for taking advantage of (stalking?) others.  Images unless you set it up that way with your mobile device or actual camera have all sorts of stamps embedded into them even if you don't see it just as it is on reddit, elsewhere.  Look at your phone, drag up in iOS I think it is, and it'll show all sorts of things, including a geotag of some sort from basics to right down to the space it was taken, date, time, etc.  What if this image if you used the right tools could skim that out?  I mean we're talking a game with a shit ton of cash, like buy a damn nice CAR cash, a 20-50% down payment on a house type good in most states.  What's to stop some determined scumbag from trying to hunt the data in the image, take a ride or flight to X shop, and then make a play for it?  Even if you let the owner know it was worth 10K let's say (which is a lie)  you could drop that brick of 100s on the counter and they'll get Conker $ $ eyes and take it, not realizing they left 10s of Ks left on the counter.  OP is screwed being a dumbass posting it, shop is happy with 10K but unaware they could have had what... 40K more?  NEVER, never post a damn thing you're thinking you can snag until you snag it.

On 10/27/2023 at 6:07 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Ive never heard or seen that. How would you even find something like that? I would have to guess your browsing a lot of political stuff or something to have the algorithm  pop that up for you or you were searching for something related

I'm banned from reddit, so I only have access to the front page. I also delete my cookies every browsing session automatically and disable trackers.

It's probably not a "default" sub, but it is very frequently on the front page.

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

unless you set it up that way with your mobile device or actual camera have all sorts of stamps embedded into them even if you don't see it just as it is on reddit, elsewhere. 

It's my understanding that when uploaded at least to some places (like FB, IG) this data is scrubbed. A few years back I was trying to do this exact thing of grabbing data to find a game shop, I eventually even resorted to examining and comparing shop floor tiles, also to no luck 😢

This part is kind of a concern I had and didn't post that first time.  Some people are pretty savvy, more than they should be given the skill set they probably don't need for their jobs, usually from a mix of fun or for taking advantage of (stalking?) others.  Images unless you set it up that way with your mobile device or actual camera have all sorts of stamps embedded into them even if you don't see it just as it is on reddit, elsewhere.  Look at your phone, drag up in iOS I think it is, and it'll show all sorts of things, including a geotag of some sort from basics to right down to the space it was taken, date, time, etc.  What if this image if you used the right tools could skim that out?  I mean we're talking a game with a shit ton of cash, like buy a damn nice CAR cash, a 20-50% down payment on a house type good in most states.  What's to stop some determined scumbag from trying to hunt the data in the image, take a ride or flight to X shop, and then make a play for it?  Even if you let the owner know it was worth 10K let's say (which is a lie)  you could drop that brick of 100s on the counter and they'll get Conker $ $ eyes and take it, not realizing they left 10s of Ks left on the counter.  OP is screwed being a dumbass posting it, shop is happy with 10K but unaware they could have had what... 40K more?  NEVER, never post a damn thing you're thinking you can snag until you snag it.

I think some cell phones let you toggle whether or not they tag where the photo was taken. I'd definitely recommend checking to see if you can turn it off for any pictures you are considering posting online. Still not a surefire way to keep people from trying to track you, but it makes it a little harder

Source

OP is screwed being a dumbass posting it, shop is happy with 10K but unaware they could have had what... 40K more?  NEVER, never post a damn thing you're thinking you can snag until you snag it.

True but try to explain that to all of those idiots and attention whores all over anti-social media

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, DarkTone said:

So, it IS an undocumented copy? 

Since we're talking about NWC carts (or we were 😏) how come the numbers are over 100 on the label, but "only 90 exist"?

Aren't there more than 90? Based on ThePhleo's blog post there are more than that

I've heard that extras were made for Nintendo employees, but I don't know if that is true

Edit: Ok, now I've heard two stories. On this site it says that there was at one point more carts being used for the tournament, but most of those were disposed of after the fact. This story is older and at least has a source, so it seems more believable to me

Edited by Ankos

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

6 hours ago, DarkTone said:

So, it IS an undocumented copy? 

Since we're talking about NWC carts (or we were 😏) how come the numbers are over 100 on the label, but "only 90 exist"?

I trust Link above...

Wasn't there an entire thread/forum based on the numbering of the "documented" NWC's at one point? I forget who kept track of it, but each number that was "documented" had an owner and they were searching for them "all".

but since we dont let's assume the next one will go for world record, 2-3x price chart, 50k pricing

ive been horsebeat-marketed for so long it's just another grandma's attic lie

On 10/27/2023 at 3:30 PM, Jfreakofkorn said:

Wish we could physical foto(s) of past auction(s) at what cart number(s) were being sold 

Edited by CIB_Wholesale

16 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Wasn't there an entire thread/forum based on the numbering of the "documented" NWC's at one point? I forget who kept track of it, but each number that was "documented" had an owner and they were searching for them "all".

This?https://www.videogamesage.com/blogs/entry/133-list-of-confirmed-1990-nintendo-world-championships-grey-cartridges/page/

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ankos said:

Aren't there more than 90? Based on ThePhleo's blog post there are more than that

I've heard that extras were made for Nintendo employees, but I don't know if that is true

Edit: Ok, now I've heard two stories. On this site it says that there was at one point more carts being used for the tournament, but most of those were disposed of after the fact. This story is older and at least has a source, so it seems more believable to me

The Powerfest tournament was nationwide. The finals were held in Los Angeles, but they needed way more than 90 for all the legs of the tourney. 

A few NWCs were reported to have come from Nintendo or event employees rather than finalists, and one person who was at a regional tournament said that he and his dad swiped one that was lying around unattended. So not all of them came from finalists.

Plus these things weren't viewed as collectibles until years later, so I imagine in the first few years after Powerfest they were who knows where until collectors started keeping track of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

A few NWCs were reported to have come from Nintendo or event employees rather than finalists, and one person who was at a regional tournament said that he and his dad swiped one that was lying around unattended. So not all of them came from finalists.

From what I recall, my old #311 cart originally came from a Nintendo employee that had a few unused extra carts that were kept on hand in case one of the carts in the gaming stations went down. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 2:36 AM, DarkTone said:

Reddit is a cancer, full of racists. I'm not surprised. As bad as 4chan. 

Eh, the popular subs tend to lean left. And a lot of the worst subs such as the donald or otherwise centered on the alt right or pizzagate were shut down.

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This is crazy. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation.

Yeah IDK what I'd do if I ever ran into a NWC or a SE in person, especially with a (potentially) unwitting seller. As I've rehearsed in my head 1000 times I'd probably tell them they have an incredibly valuable item, I can't afford it but I'd really really like to own it, and ask them if we can work out some kind of a payment plan to where I can buy it off them over time.

I can't bring myself to steal it or buy a game worth tens of thousands for $20, which might as well be the same as stealing. I also couldn't *not* say anything or make any offer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Yeah IDK what I'd do if I ever ran into a NWC or a SE in person, especially with a (potentially) unwitting seller. As I've rehearsed in my head 1000 times I'd probably tell them they have an incredibly valuable item, I can't afford it but I'd really really like to own it, and ask them if we can work out some kind of a payment plan to where I can buy it off them over time.

I can't bring myself to steal it or buy a game worth tens of thousands for $20, which might as well be the same as stealing. I also couldn't *not* say anything or make any offer.

I’m with you, I would feel way to guilty to drop $20 and be out. I think I’ve told myself if it ever happens to be honest about what it’s worth and offer $5k-$10k but also explain that they aren’t going to be able to sell it on the street for top value, it’s gonna take more work and leave it up to the owner to do as they wish. 

• Like 1