IGNORED

There's an NWC in the wild tonight

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah for the people saying that they'd have no issues buying it from a business at sticker price, it's somewhat hypocritical, a lot of businesses are struggling and they're also the livelihoods of people. 

Sure, but if your business is to sell video games, maybe you're struggling because you aren't doing a very good job, considering one of the most high-profile and valuable video games in video game collecting came into your store and you put a $2 sticker on it.

If a business was selling brand new automobiles for $72 it's not my responsibility to tell them they're running their business into the ground.

If a random person has a valuable collectible and no experience with video games, I think it's unethical because of the power imbalance. I'm taking advantage of the fact that I know something they don't know and should have no expectation to know.

That's the difference for me though. The business is a professional and their job is to buy, sell, and price items; the individual seller might've just participated in the contest, or their son did. There's no reason they should know the value of it, except bothering to Google a price for every one of the 40 Nintendo tapes their kid left in their attic.

• Agree 1

Being new here, I appreciate that there's even a debate on this; it says a lot about the character of this community. Y'all are good people. It's something everyone has to decide for themselves as for what they feel is right or not.

You can flip the argument and say: the buyer with more knowledge has a medical situation or some other emergency that requires a large sum of money. Is it okay then to take advantage of the seller's lack of knowledge?

If someone doesn't know how to price it and asks my opinion, I'll tell them. I'm not going to say "Eh, it's junk, I'll give you 20 bucks for it." But I also have no issue paying a stranger what they're asking for a product.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Rhuno said:

If someone doesn't know how to price it and asks my opinion, I'll tell them. I'm not going to say "Eh, it's junk, I'll give you 20 bucks for it." But I also have no issue paying a stranger what they're asking for a product.

Another point to consider (though it doesn't apply to this particular situation) is when a cartridge holds value to *you* but likely wouldn't for many.

For example, if I see a cartridge with a shop label on the back from a shop I went to, or from the area I used to live, I'll gladly pay a premium for it. But you start explaining things to sellers, and then they'll start assuming every game with a sticker is worth more, or whatever. 

• 3 weeks later...