IGNORED

Choose: Only play games you've played, or only play new games, forever.

OptOut

Choose: Only play games you've played, or only play new games, forever.  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Forevermore you can ONLY play games that:

• You've already played
    • You've never played
    • Your dick (or lady dick) becomes a frog

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Link said:

It’s true. I remember the day I realized “Ok, face it, I’m never gonna hear ALL of the good music.” It looks like a full-time job to me, idk how you do it. And rank, and have a family? 😰 It doesn’t help that I’m not very gud at games though.

Old-but-new-to-me has been explored pretty thoroughly, relative to genpop. I like some modern stuff. But then I try something like Bio-Shock or Assassin’s Creed, and I just hate the wayfinding and unclear (to me, anyway) linearity.

Are those modern?  They came out 15+ years ago.

Think about that.  That's NES to Wii almost.  We're dinosaurs 😅

• Wow! 1

Yeah, I've played a lot of great games in my 42 years and I love revisiting them.  Pair that with testing ROMs and also being that guy who never finishes any game he starts (well, 99% of the time), I'd have quite a backlog with all the games I've already played if I made it a goal to actually try to beat them all.

Plus new gen stuff mostly bores me.  There's a lot of flash and technical prettiness out there, but when ever I do find a "new" game I'm interested in, it's usually an indy game inspired by the past so... why would I want to look forward?  Oh wait, I do still like a good bit of new Nintendo IP, but in a contest of Nintendo-Future vs. Nintendo-Past, I'm still going to go with the past.  There's a lot of good hours to be enjoyed in the Mario franchise alone, even if I've played most of them to near completion.

56 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Are those modern?  They came out 15+ years ago.

Think about that.  That's NES to Wii almost.  We're dinosaurs 😅

Haha, no, but I said something like those. Shows how much I (don’t) keep up, I guess. Just examples of modern, AAA franchises of the industry. I forget which AC I tried, it wasn’t the first one. 

Galaxy similarly confused me so I’m pretty loathe to buy Odyssey. I’m definitely getting TotK; that’s what I alluded to for Black Friday. I’m hoping for an Explorer’s Edition to match BotW. 

Wow. What a pickle. 

But... not really a tough decision, just not great to be cornered by a Wizard demanding you make a decision or get your weiner turned into a frog. Scary situation!

CLEARLY the games I've already played. 

These muh-fuckas out here saying they want to "experience something new" and FORGET Super Mario Bros. 3???? The FUQ are we talking about here? 

You going to play an updated version of COD/GTA for the rest of your life? 

Super Mario Bros. 3 is all we got!

200.gif?cid=c7bb2c54tl0r2zm3zzgjea97sb04

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, but you don't know what you don't know.

I guarantee there's 500 games out there you'd love, you just don't know it. 😄

Like, there's 5000 albums I've never listened to, and never will, that I'd love if I did.  But I never will, and I'll never know it. 😂

Books are even worse.  Odds are my favorite book of all time is out there, but I'll never read it, and never know that I didn't read it 😭

This is 100% my thoughts. The thrill of not knowing what's out there and discovering a potential top 10 or even top 20 game is exciting. There's so many great games I've never played on the NES through to GC alone. All those untouched PS1 JRPG's I still have yet to experience and also all the modern games being released plus indies. Also I really want to get into VR when I can afford a good setup.

But I agree, most people just shutdown to experiences and new things when they reach a certain age. My wife is the exact same, would rather watch a show she's seen 5 times vs watching something new. It was a hard and frustrating thing to get my head around at first but I realised we're in the minority and the thread definitely proves it.

19 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I'd still with old games I've played before. With precious free time for gaming, I can't miss what I've never had a chance to do. Plus I don't think I could ever live in a world where I wasn't allowed to play Tetris or Pac Man.

You'll never get to play Pac-Man Mega Tunnel Battle Chomp Champs next year 😞 The latest and thus greatest Pac-Man.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Brickman said:

But I agree, most people just shutdown to experiences and new things when they reach a certain age.

I don’t feel it’s that per se. More like play a thousandwhatever games I know I like, or maybe someday

27 minutes ago, Brickman said:

discovering a potential top 10 or even top 20 game

And that’s not terribly likely.

If you keep up on modern gaming, that may happen. I don’t like the soap opera vibe I get from a lot of later-period stuff, same as mainstream comic books. I don’t have the fucking patience for that bullshit. Let me get down to business. 

At this point I have to compare it to other media. Depending on what we’re talking about it’s gonna be a different answer. I rarely rewatch movies (completely stopped collecting and want to winnow my stock), rarely reread books (usually keep them and frequently get more). In those items I’m always looking for more new-to-me things. I listen to albums hundreds or thousands of times and also always exploring for more new bands sounds etc.

You could even extend it to food. I have my staples I cook at home ofc, but I try new recipes and I seldom repeat a restaurant, even cheap ones.

So this “stopping new experiences” thing is a pretty big mischaracterization imo. It’s just a different attitude. And this is, again: a forced choice. I can’t emphasize that enough. 

23 minutes ago, Link said:

I don’t feel it’s that per se. More like play a thousandwhatever games I know I like, or maybe someday

And that’s not terribly likely.

If you keep up on modern gaming, that may happen. I don’t like the soap opera vibe I get from a lot of later-period stuff, same as mainstream comic books. I don’t have the fucking patience for that bullshit. Let me get down to business. 

At this point I have to compare it to other media. Depending on what we’re talking about it’s gonna be a different answer. I rarely rewatch movies (completely stopped collecting and want to winnow my stock), rarely reread books (usually keep them and frequently get more). In those items I’m always looking for more new-to-me things. I listen to albums hundreds or thousands of times and also always exploring for more new bands sounds etc.

You could even extend it to food. I have my staples I cook at home ofc, but I try new recipes and I seldom repeat a restaurant, even cheap ones.

So this “stopping new experiences” thing is a pretty big mischaracterization imo. It’s just a different attitude. And this is, again: a forced choice. I can’t emphasize that enough. 

Yeah look if you're in the group that has played 2000-3000 games I get it, you've probably seen the best of most libraries so might as well stick with it. But I'd be surprised if that's the majority of gamers, the backlog challenge is a good indication of how many people struggle to even play 10 games a year. So I'd say a lot of gamers haven't truly experienced the libraries from NES-GC and that's before even talking about handhelds, PC or modern games and indies.

Also, I'm not sure what modern games you've played but I don't really know what you mean about soap opera stuff. Dark Souls and Elden Ring definitely aren't a soap opera 😂

If you're sitting in the 500-800 games beaten category (and aren't like 70 years old) then the stats are on your side that you will discover a top 20 game by choosing the option to play old games you haven't played and any new games going forward. Imagine stopping at the 80's for movies and missing out on T2, Jurassic Park, LOTR trilogy, Inception, Batman Trilogy, Seven, Fight Club and the list goes on

1 minute ago, Brickman said:

Also, I'm not sure what modern games you've played but I don't really know what you mean about soap opera stuff. Dark Souls and Elden Ring definitely aren't a soap opera 😂

Too much cut scenes, talking, character work, etc. That’s not what I want from games. I’ve been burned on boring shit too many times. 

Here’s what I know about Dark Souls: Hyrule Warriors is basically a skin of it. My old high school friend showed it to me and what I saw was “[Arrow pointing]: go in in this direction and kill a crowd of Moblins by hitting 30 of them at once with your sword a bunch of times. [New arrow]: now go run over there and do it again.” Maybe I’m missing out. But if a game can’t get my interest in 15 minutes or less, it’s out 🤷‍♀️ A video has to do it a lot faster. 

Here is what I know about Elden Ring: I just skimmed this video. Yeah man, that looks pretty fuckin cool. 

I just spent a week traveling by myself. I go to concerts with bands I’ve never heard of several times a year. I just discovered an old-but-new-to-me arcade game with pretty unique controls that would take a long time to master but then be very rewarding (StarCastle). All that to say I’m not uninterested in new experiences. Emphasis, again.

But making this choice A or B, it’s a binary 100% question that doesn’t have a binary 100% answer for me. I lean a certain way and have certain motivations, and it’s straight up not because I don’t like new games at all. Just like it’s not true to say Reed doesn’t like classic SNES games or horror movies he watches every year. (he’s my example because makes tons of posts about stuff, idk whatall Brickman likes)

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Wow. What a pickle. 

But... not really a tough decision, just not great to be cornered by a Wizard demanding you make a decision or get your weiner turned into a frog. Scary situation!

CLEARLY the games I've already played. 

These muh-fuckas out here saying they want to "experience something new" and FORGET Super Mario Bros. 3???? The FUQ are we talking about here? 

You going to play an updated version of COD/GTA for the rest of your life? 

Super Mario Bros. 3 is all we got!

200.gif?cid=c7bb2c54tl0r2zm3zzgjea97sb04

I enjoy Mario 3 as much as the next person, but I've also played it dozens of times and I'd rather check out Super Mario Wonder.  Even if it doesn't end up being the better game, I still want to try it out.  Also, there are TONS and tons of new games coming out that aren't just COD/GTA re-makes.  I'm seriously enjoying Sea of Stars right now, which is an indie developed RPG and it's awesome.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Link said:

[Elden Ring and Dark Souls] Too much cut scenes, talking, character work, etc. That’s not what I want from games. I’ve been burned on boring shit too many times. 

Here’s what I know about Dark Souls: Hyrule Warriors is basically a skin of it.

wut

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Link said:

Too much cut scenes, talking, character work, etc. That’s not what I want from games. I’ve been burned on boring shit too many times. 

Here’s what I know about Dark Souls: Hyrule Warriors is basically a skin of it. My old high school friend showed it to me and what I saw was “[Arrow pointing]: go in in this direction and kill a crowd of Moblins by hitting 30 of them at once with your sword a bunch of times. [New arrow]: now go run over there and do it again.” Maybe I’m missing out. But if a game can’t get my interest in 15 minutes or less, it’s out 🤷‍♀️ A video has to do it a lot faster. 

Here is what I know about Elden Ring: I just skimmed this video. Yeah man, that looks pretty fuckin cool. 

I just spent a week traveling by myself. I go to concerts with bands I’ve never heard of several times a year. I just discovered an old-but-new-to-me arcade game with pretty unique controls that would take a long time to master but then be very rewarding (StarCastle). All that to say I’m not uninterested in new experiences. Emphasis, again.

But making this choice A or B, it’s a binary 100% question that doesn’t have a binary 100% answer for me. I lean a certain way and have certain motivations, and it’s straight up not because I don’t like new games at all. Just like it’s not true to say Reed doesn’t like classic SNES games or horror movies he watches every year. (he’s my example because makes tons of posts about stuff, idk whatall Brickman likes)

Yeah Dark Souls is nothing like Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors is based off Dynasty Warriors so just took all of that and reskinned it with Zelda stuff. 

There's still heaps of modern games that are light on story but still amazing. Celeste, Hollow Knight, Cuphead and Shovel Knight all instantly come to mind. 

And ok I'm not saying that everyone is not interested in new experiences and I'm sure Reed wasn't implying that either. But I'd say that his comment rings true that a lot of people reach a certain age and stick with what they're comfortable with vs exploring the unknown. They know they're great games/movies/songs etc so aren't interested in exploring outside that. And that's perfectly fine, I personally couldn't do that though.

29 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Hyrule Warriors is based off Dynasty Warriors

Oops. Oh yeah, Dark Souls is the “hard af” game. 

46 minutes ago, Link said:

Here’s what I know about Dark Souls: Hyrule Warriors is basically a skin of it.

I am not gud at games and that’s a v hard game and I would check it out but it’s basically Ghosts n Goblins for this century and I would suck at it. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Brickman said:

There's still heaps of modern games that are light on story but still amazing. Celeste, Hollow Knight, Cuphead and Shovel Knight all instantly come to mind

Yeah. I’m interested in all of those. In a another thread I just talked about playing Shredder’s Revenge. Come on. Dark Souls (also not a new game, 12 years old now…) faux pas aside I do pay some attention and play some new things.

• Like 1

I'll go with never played. There's a lot of games that I like that come from series, so I'll ideally be able to use other games in those series to fill in the new gaps, and will have a ton of options for other games to play. Even if I played every single NES and Genesis game just enough to be barred from playing them, not enough to feel satisfied with leaving them behind, I'd still consider going with never played. There's just so many systems to choose from, and plenty of spiritual successors and sequels to classics.

RIP to Fossil Fighters though. Those games I don't think I'd ever find anything that could even partially replace them for me, and there is no shot of them ever getting a good sequel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

wut

I think someone's talking himself up into taking the frog-dong!

2 hours ago, Link said:

But making this choice A or B, it’s a binary 100% question that doesn’t have a binary 100% answer for me.

Oh he is thirsting for the FROG, THIRSTING I tells ya! 🥵🐸

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Nah my bedtime tastes are for me directly 🤣 just elaborating that making a choice to participate in your fetish fantasy thread doesn’t mean a total irl rejection of the path not chosen for your sadist wizard, and I don’t appreciate words being put in my mouth so to speak (or be spoken by others.)

Let’s extrapolate this challenge to its extreme. If I could only play one game for the rest of my life, would I choose a known favorite, or whatever is a hypothetical next and previously-unheard-of-by-me-today game that I pick up? The answer would be the latter by what I intend my next new game to be, but if I don’t have said very specific choice, yeah I’m gonna choose the former. 

Pepe Le Pew Cartoon GIF

I voted for games that are new to me, but I just realized that I've tested every game in my collection to make sure it works and I've got ~1000 games that I've technically "played" but are basically new to me. If the wizard's ok with me changing my answer I'd switch to games I've played. Otherwise I guess I'm selling my collection and taking up PS1/PS2 collecting.

10 minutes ago, LHCGreg said:

I voted for games that are new to me, but I just realized that I've tested every game in my collection to make sure it works and I've got ~1000 games that I've technically "played" but are basically new to me. If the wizard's ok with me changing my answer I'd switch to games I've played. Otherwise I guess I'm selling my collection and taking up PS1/PS2 collecting.

Oof, tough luck buddy. No takesie-backsies, I'm afraid the wizard is a real stickler on that! 😬

40 minutes ago, Link said:
1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Nah my bedtime tastes are for me directly 🤣 just elaborating that making a choice to participate in your fetish fantasy thread doesn’t mean a total irl rejection of the path not chosen for your sadist wizard, and I don’t appreciate words being put in my mouth so to speak (or be spoken by others.)

Let’s extrapolate this challenge to its extreme. If I could only play one game for the rest of my life, would I choose a known favorite, or whatever is a hypothetical next and previously-unheard-of-by-me-today game that I pick up? The answer would be the latter by what I intend my next new game to be, but if I don’t have said very specific choice, yeah I’m gonna choose the former. 

I dunno what the hell you just said, sounds like ribbits to me! 😉

• Haha 3