IGNORED

Choose: Only play games you've played, or only play new games, forever.

OptOut

Choose: Only play games you've played, or only play new games, forever.  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Forevermore you can ONLY play games that:

• You've already played
    • You've never played
    • Your dick (or lady dick) becomes a frog

16 hours ago, spacepup said:

I enjoy Mario 3 as much as the next person, but I've also played it dozens of times and I'd rather check out Super Mario Wonder.  Even if it doesn't end up being the better game, I still want to try it out.  Also, there are TONS and tons of new games coming out that aren't just COD/GTA re-makes.  I'm seriously enjoying Sea of Stars right now, which is an indie developed RPG and it's awesome.

Okay.... so you check out Mario Wonder, and it's trippy and that's kinda neat, but what if... WHAT IF... it's not as good as SMB3, and it doesn't give you that nostalgic fuelled feeling of pure calm and comfort??? WHAT THEN???

Mario Wonder is probably good, but not great when you compare it to SMB3. 😏

Okay so you get to play your "new" game a few times, but you'll always be left knowing that you will NEVER get to play SMB3 again. You will never know the thrill of finding a hidden Tanooki suit and changing into a statue to evade your enemies ever again. NEVER. 

You are willing to bet this feeling just because you want to "try it out". 😳

What is this world coming to? 

Also... in all seriousness....

Yeah there's probably some really cool games coming out that are going to melt my brain. I get that. I respect that. 

Just funny because this forum is based on love of all the OLD games most of us have played since childhood which we're still holding onto. People are willing to risk that (AND the modern games they've played up to this point) for games that "might" be good??? 🤔

Can't imagine being like "Nope... never going to play SMB3, Contra, Double Dragon II, or ANY OTHER SWEET GAME FROM THE NES I'VE EVER PLAYED. Battletoads, nope. TMNT, nope. Mega Man, NOPE! Fuck the Blue Bomber!!! He's dead to me!"

Camman. 🙈

Edited by AirVillain
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Okay.... so you check out Mario Wonder, and it's trippy and that's kinda neat, but what if... WHAT IF... it's not as good as SMB3, and it doesn't give you that nostalgic fuelled feeling of pure calm and comfort??? WHAT THEN???

Mario Wonder is probably good, but not great when you compare it to SMB3. 😏

Okay so you get to play your "new" game a few times, but you'll always be left knowing that you will NEVER get to play SMB3 again. You will never know the thrill of finding a hidden Tanooki suit and changing into a statue to evade your enemies ever again. NEVER. 

You are willing to bet this feeling just because you want to "try it out". 😳

What is this world coming to? 

Also... in all seriousness....

Yeah there's probably some really cool games coming out that are going to melt my brain. I get that. I respect that. 

Just funny because this forum is based on love of all the OLD games most of us have played since childhood which we're still holding onto. People are willing to risk that (AND the modern games they've played up to this point) for games that "might" be good??? 🤔

Can't imagine being like "Nope... never going to play SMB3, Contra, Double Dragon II, or ANY OTHER SWEET GAME FROM THE NES I'VE EVER PLAYED. Battletoads, nope. TMNT, nope. Mega Man, NOPE! Fuck the Blue Bomber!!! He's dead to me!"

Camman. 🙈

This guy gets it! There's 35+ years of games that I've already played and I know are awesome, so I don't know how everything else combined could possibly match that level of quality.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Gloves said:

What if I make a whole new game myself and call it "Totally not the original Super Mario Bros" and it's definitely the original Super Mario Bros, but with different sprites and I build it myself from the ground up using Nesmaker? 

Can I play that? 

No, you only get to play Cookie Clicker due to being the only person that's ever heard of it. 😂

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This guy gets it! There's 35+ years of games that I've already played and I know are awesome, so I don't know how everything else combined could possibly match that level of quality.

Doug we both know you've only played 8 years worth of that timespan 😄

Administrator · Posted

I don't expect Super Mario Wonder to be as timeless and classic as Super Mario 3.

But yes, at this point in life, I've already experienced Super Mario 3 enough times, that I would absolutely give it up in order to play new games like Super Mario Wonder and whatever else comes out in the future.

If others want to just play games they already like, that's cool, their choice.  But yes, I would give up being able to play all my beloved games, for new experiences in the future, if I had to.

I don't expect everyone to agree, but I don't think it's that shocking of a perspective, really.

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Just funny because this forum is based on love of all the OLD games most of us have played since childhood which we're still holding onto. People are willing to risk that (AND the modern games they've played up to this point) for games that "might" be good??? 

It’s not like I lose those memories. I will still remember the first time playing SMB3. And just checking you know that you can play old games right? You don’t lose the ability to play old games. I’ve personally never played MM besides 2 so I’ll still get to enjoy all those games on the NES and SNES.

Also, this will probably make you pass out but Battletoads, Double Dragon2 and TMNT aren’t that great. I’d much rather play Celeste, cuphead or darkest dungeon.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

What was the question?

...I have been trying.  Lost the last bid when it went all the way to $142 😭

I'm tempted to sell you mine lol, it's still sealed, I really just bought it cuz it looks really frickin' cool.

Administrator · Posted

After much thought I finally voted in the poll. I gave it time because such a thing is not to be taken lightly!

I went with "You've already played"

The reason being that I am a competitive person, and while new games come out incredibly regularly, the games I mostly play are those which I've already played before. I've been playing a lot of Raiden IV on PS3 lately, trying (and failing) to 1CC the game (goddamn you and your 2 loop requirement!). I'm competitive and I like to complete things. I like to show off. The prospect of playing a new game is enticing, but compared to being able to say "Yeah I can one life clear Game X" is far more intriguing to me. A ton of games I've already played I'd love to master, and it would take a lifetime to get anywhere near mastering all of them depending on the definition of mastery per game.

The option of speedrunning would eventually come into play as well. I don't just play Goldeneye, I speedrun Goldeneye. I can beat the hardest Goldeneye levels on 00 difficulty faster than you can beat them on Agent. Well, I can't, but man how impressive did that sound? Yeah man gimme that.

This is all backed up pretty decently by my recent spree of Retro Achievement hunting; I've aimed for not adding games to my profile on retroachievements.org until I've already 100% mastered every other game on my profile. It's got me REALLY learning the heck out of Contra right now and it's super engaging. When presented with Retro Achievements I didn't go "Hey nice, some incentive to play some classics I've never touched before!", no sir, I booted up Trog, Elevator Action, Kabuki: Quantum Fighter, and fuckin' Final Fantasy. That's who I really am, and so that's my decision when presented the options from this mystical wizard.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Aw man, this is tough. Seeing Reed vote "never played" is a huge deal lol. It's either a permanently-closed set containing lots of confirmed-good games, or an open, ever-growing set of undiscovered mystery forever. I could maybe watch youtube videos of those old games to try and scratch the itch?

......I'll pick old games but I get a week to fire up as many games as I can before it starts. 😆

• Like 1