IGNORED

Completed the Super A'can set!

DarkKobold

@DarkKobold congrats! I’ve never heard of the A’can system before but it’s always cool to read about a complete set with the final piece being something seemingly a grail. 

Just reading on some of the discussions on here, some perspective:

- the market post-WATA has gone crazy, but I’d like to make a simple summary:

- 4 figures spent, yeah, that still makes sense.

- 6-7 figures spent => e-peen pride and/or market manipulation

• Agree 1

On 9/27/2023 at 2:35 AM, Khromak said:

Just to restate: I think that it's great news that @DarkKobold got this game. I'm always thrilled when a rare item ends up in the hands of collectors, since I'm a collector as well and I've experienced this and I think it's pure magic. Like DarkKobold, I will never sell any of the items that fall into that category unless I'm in extremely dire financial circumstances with no other options. These can feel like once-in-a-lifetime opportunities which makes them exciting.

I don't think as a community we could've asked for a better steward of a game with this level of rarity, congrats again.

I also somewhat agree with @fcgamer that it is sad that items someone might have nostalgia for from their childhood in Taiwan won't be able to acquire them because the prices are too high. My problem with his vision of the world though is when it comes to the solution/implementation. I don't think there's a way to solve this problem without causing other, worse ripple effects in the community at large, both the retro gaming community as well as the local (in this case Taiwanese) community. I doubt a random citizen who finds out the game in their closet is worth 3-4 months' salary to a foreigner is going to be thrilled to find out they have to keep it to themselves, or sell it for $1k to a local collector instead.

When it comes to being a collectible, no one has the right to own it unless a transaction occurs. There’s no need to find any solutions in my mind, other than to weed out the scams and the over-exaggerated price tags. Regarding your local take vs foreigners, yeah they might be disadvantaged with the bidding, but likely to be advantaged with the selling of their region-specific stuff.

8 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

OK, since it's worth that, you should be able to obtain it for that, right? Hit me up when you find it for that price. Good luck. 

🤫 I think that was a joke about the other guy, not you or the price you paid. 

7 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

Despite the angry ramblings on this forum,

I think they are all pretty much from one particular person and I really wouldn’t worry about it. Everything in your path on this is completely respectable, honest, etc

• Like 1

Congrats on completing your set!
Always fun to see something I've never even heard of before and it's great to read you'll contribute to game preservation by dumping the rom.

I am curious how that would work though, did someone make dumping hardware for this console?

I do find it disappointing to see some people can't just be happy for fellow collectors and instead feel the need to turn it into a peen measuring contest or yet another excuse to complain about the current prices... 😮‍💨

On 9/27/2023 at 11:58 AM, DarkKobold said:

OK, since it's worth that, you should be able to obtain it for that, right? Hit me up when you find it for that price. Good luck. 

Saying what something is worth when it's not available for that price is just an endless circlejerk of useless opinions. I can say NTSC Stadium Events is only worth $100, max. No one on the planet is gonna sell it to me for that. So I can sit here with my smug attitude that "I alone know the REAL price," while never owning that cart. The market doesn't give half a shit about how you feel about prices.

The TG16 community used to pull this bullshit back in 2015. They'd quote prices well below what things were actually selling for. No one would ever sell for those prices, but they'd yell and scream at any new person for "overspending." They proposed no workable solutions, other than "I can have these games and you can't." They were gatekeeping collecting. New collectors told them to suck rocks instead of cowtowing to their bullshit imaginary price guide. The community was just considered a toxic cesspool by new users. Good times. 

Your actions since popping up make it clear despite your gums moving this was attention seeking, a kind of badge earning behavior.  Collecting for the sake of it, the classic bounty type who will throw whatever at it for whatever cost damn the consequences.  If called on it, saltiness ensues along with denials.

You're getting triggered with me mocking my friend there which speaks volumes to me, and to a joke that was made about a fantasy Taiwan version of Mario, a joke built off another joke. it wasn't even directed at your crazy buy of an A'Can game.

I'm familiar with the toxic stupidity of the NEC kids, and it went back before 2015 too.  I used to put up with that group until it got enough and the get it at whatever cost kids showed up and really soured stuff so I bailed on it, as being around that level of stupidity and toxicity is dangerous.  My last go around saw what they were up to, I grabbed a Japanese Core Grafx 2 and a Duo instead, until they fouled that as well.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

Congrats!

Just one nitpick:

On 9/26/2023 at 6:41 PM, DarkKobold said:

I'm kinda surprised by this. On the scale of video games, for a once-in-a-lifetime game, this seemed insanely cheap. [...] I was legitimately worried some WATA-level buyers were going to drop a 6 figure bids at the last second. 5k is a lot of money, but let's be honest, someone dropped 1.5m on a sealed Mario 64 last year. This isn't even in the same realm of ridiculous. 

You people are feeding this trend, especially with these posts. There are plenty of one-of-a-kind games that don't sell for much. It does not mean they are under valued, that's just the market, offer and demand, trends, and so on.

Brief reminder of the SNES/Playstation prototype that sold for only 1/3 of the highest offer the owners had receiver before auctionning it publicly. They toured the world to advertise it, raise awareness, hype, and so on. But at the end of the day, there's so much you can do to steer the interersts of potential buyers. You may always attracts idiots that just wants C@@L R@RE stuff to brag (there are plenty on VGS unfortunately) but their interest will dwindle to zero as soon as a new trendy rare stuff pops up that's a bit more prestigious for their e-peen.
Hell, it just happened two days ago on eBay: One seller had two IQ-201 Famicom clones. One original model from 1987 and another, more common, "Max Play" branded one. Both auctions ended the same day, the 1987 console sold for nearly $280 while the Max Play one didn't get a single bid at $60. The Max Play was relisted and it just sold for an insane $200. Some nutjobs just saw the other auction, jumped to conclusion or assumed it was C@@L and R@R3!1!!1 and jumped on the hype train. Had it been one month apart, it would not have happened. I wish them great luck for making that money back.

We can spend an eternity talking about the true value of games. But then one is not collecting games for the entertainment, but just seeing them as an investment.
I want to emphasize that this is a general criticism, it is not directed at you at all!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Moderator · Posted

Let’s keep this thread on topic, and positive. If you’re going to be butthurt about OP’s excitement, then this thread isn’t for you. Not everything is for you, and just because you have an opinion, doesn’t mean anyone one cares to hear it. Derailing someone else’s thread because of your own insecurities with kvetching just highlights what a sad sack you are. Let other people be happy if it isn’t hurting you.

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

🤔🤔🤔

Making a general claim or directing a claim to a group does not mean an individual is involved. The text you quoted is ambiguous and it shows.

IN ANY CASE, I have infinite respect for OP for buying the game and having the presevationist mindset. I do blame some of the side thoughts abot the game price and rarity but the whole topic probably lead people to discuss this subject more than necessary, it's not a blame I put on OP shoulders. Don't make me say what I did not intend to say in the first place, thanks.

Again props.

9 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Then go start your own thread and be a child there.

Once again - treating people like children for no reason. Not a good look. You’d figure mods would engage in more welcoming behavior if they want their forum to succeed - in this day and age. I’ve seen too many over moderated forums die. Real sad.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

@DeterioratingBrains @CodysGameRoom, Scrobins came in and politely asked that we get back on track with the topic, and that was ignored. I fully back him being frustrated at what feels like continued bickering, even in jest. There's a fine line and we all have our own opinions of where we say "Hey, stop that, let's get back on track.". If it were me, frankly, this place would probably be a cesspool of everyone saying anything they want and there'd be 10 of us left all pointing at each other cuz I'm too non-caring about words and shit. So I fully respect and appreciate Scrobins moving the bar a bit in the other direction cuz that's not what we want.

The point is, end of the day, there's like, half of this thread having basically nothing to do with the OP, and while we don't all have to congratulate OP for buying a thing, we can at least try to avoid silly stuff like nitpicking terms and verbiage and all that, it's petty and boring. Semantics are so boring I hate it.

@DeterioratingBrains you said your piece, please drop it.

@CodysGameRoom same, really. I appreciate fun as much as the next guy, but you know as well as I do that "fun" in your head could be "man this dude's an asshole" to the other guy. We could take Scrobin's post and add a 😛 face and suddenly he's just having fun with you.

I'll take this opportunity also without naming names that the report button has it's uses (here I am!), and we take it seriously, but let's be real - a mod drew the line and said "stop", and the people he was speaking to didn't stop. Any responses he's made from there on in this thread are perfectly warranted IMONobody is getting warning points in this scenario, and be thankful for it.

So let's just drop it there, please and thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeterioratingBrains said:

Congrats!

Just one nitpick:

You people are feeding this trend, especially with these posts. There are plenty of one-of-a-kind games that don't sell for much. It does not mean they are under valued, that's just the market, offer and demand, trends, and so on.

FWIW, Mods, I'm OK with an interesting discussion of what it paid, so long as it isn't personal attacks. 

You are absolutely, 110% correct. The "market" determined the price I paid, and that's what it's worth from a pure, emotionless economic perspective. 

I think my original post is being misconstrued.  On a personal level, I feel like it was an absolute scorcher of a deal because to me, it's worth far more than an equivalent to two CIB Earthbounds.  If I had a stack of 10 Earthbound CIB, and trading them is what it took to get REBEL, I would have traded them without a 2nd thought.  The truth is, the market for this system is tiny, so yeah, demand is low. But to me, personally, seeing "rare" games sell in the high 4 figures daily, buying a game I've personally sought after for 8 years, buying for mid 4 figures feels amazing. So yeah, I'm celebrating what I emotionally consider a deal, even though rationally, the market dictated the price. 

It's hard for me to separate what I emotionally and personally think this game is worth, and all the naysayers saying that it's crazy to spend that much. I guess I'm lucky my grail is a game from a weird failed system from Taiwan, and not a Sticker Sealed 9.8 WATA graded Super Mario Bros, lol. 

• Like 5

Another drama topic incoming?? What even happened?? Also, for the record I have never heard of that system once in my life so I have no right to speak anything. What is this, some very rare, failed and obscure system based on Motorola 68k CPU? So is it similar to Sega Genesis and Amiga? How do these games even play and look like?? I am curious myself. So the ultimate question is- was it even worth it?

12 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Congrats on acquiring your holy grail! I've never heard of this system before, but kudos to you for finishing it!

Now we just wait for a famous youtuber to feature this system and you are rich!

Oh God please anyone but not that stupid celebrity Metal Jesus Cocks...........

19 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Congrats on acquiring your holy grail! I've never heard of this system before, but kudos to you for finishing it!

Now we just wait for a famous youtuber to feature this system and you are rich!

I have no intention of selling any of it, ever. So it's worth as much now as after it becomes youtube famous, absolutely nothing! 

Also, Gamster81, LadyDecade and TopHotGamingMan all did youtube videos on it. LadyDecade even stole a photo of my collection a friend took (15:59 in the video.) 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

12 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

I have no intention of selling any of it, ever. So it's worth as much now as after it becomes youtube famous, absolutely nothing! 

I'll ring you up in thirty years and we can schedule a play date to give it a whirl, if you still have it 😉