IGNORED

Completed the Super A'can set!

DarkKobold

13 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

but as I mentioned earlier, it's incredibly frustrating to see these kinds of stupid price sales.

I mean, I'm sure OP would've loved to have paid $50 for the game instead. Is he to blame for the fact that they made 2 dozen of this game? Should he not be passionate about collecting for this system? It's an auction, the price is determined by what people are willing to pay, and it seems the market has determined that game is worth $5600.

I'd love for the price of Stadium Events to be $100, but unfortunately supply and demand determine that it costs about what a used truck costs.

That's why I asked about your proposed solutions. If there's a limited supply because it was manufactured in the 90s, and there's nothing we can do about that, the only solution is to lower demand I guess? Should we not be interested in any games outside of our home region? What about people who move to Japan, are they not allowed to buy games unless they restrict the amount they're willing to pay? Are rich Taiwanese people allowed to pay $5600 for a game? Should exports be banned entirely? Isn't that hurting local business owners who are sitting on tens of thousands of dollars of stock they can't sell now, because we wanted to retain our heritage?

IDK...seems like screaming into the void. We all wish prices were lower, but when the items are this rare, they get to be stupid expensive because 10 people want it and auctions exist. The person with the most money and willingness to spend that money gets the item. I get where you're coming from, if NES games I loved suddenly cost $5000 and I couldn't afford them because Saudi oil barrens were buying up all the copies, I could see myself being frustrated as well, but I don't really see a solution...I'm not going to ask my local game store to give up $4950 to sell me the game for $50 so that I could play it, and I think since ebay and a hundred other sites exist to sell stuff online, we can't really put the genie of international commerce back into the bottle.

32 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Wow $5600 for one game sure is a lot.

I'm kinda surprised by this. On the scale of video games, for a once-in-a-lifetime game, this seemed insanely cheap. Magical Chase routinely sells for 7-9k CIB. Little Samson CIB is 4k, and there's pretty much always one on eBay. A loose cart NTSC Stadium Events sells for what? 20-25k these days? And those come up like every other year. Earthbound CIB sells for $3k, and there's a laughably high number of those in existence.  This sold for less than two CIB Earthbounds, which is absurd to me. Keio Flying Squadron is also always available, and sits around 2.5k. I was honestly expecting to get out bid by the Kizuna Encounter kinda folks. This has the same level of rarity. 

https://www.neostore.com/Kizuna-Encounter-Super-Tag-Battle-English-AES-p/1029.htm

I was legitimately worried some WATA-level buyers were going to drop a 6 figure bids at the last second. 5k is a lot of money, but let's be honest, someone dropped 1.5m on a sealed Mario 64 last year. This isn't even in the same realm of ridiculous. 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I'd love for the price of Stadium Events to be $100, but unfortunately supply and demand determine that it costs about what a used truck costs.

A used truck? More like a new truck these days. 

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/articles/best-trucks-under-25k

Also yeah, if I could have gotten this for $100, I'd have been absolutely stoked. I bid high because I assume this was it. I can't emphasize enough, I doubt anyone will ever see this game (especially not CIB) up for sale. A friend from twitter said he thinks there's one other CIB copy in existence. 

4 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

I'm kinda surprised by this. On the scale of video games, for a once-in-a-lifetime game, this seemed insanely cheap. Magical Chase routinely sells for 7-9k CIB. Little Samson CIB is 4k, and there's pretty much always one on eBay. A loose cart NTSC Stadium Events sells for what? 20-25k these days? And those come up like every other year. Earthbound CIB sells for $3k, and there's a laughably high number of those in existence.  This sold for less than two CIB Earthbounds, which is absurd to me. Keio Flying Squadron is also always available, and sits around 2.5k. I was honestly expecting to get out bid by the Kizuna Encounter kinda folks. This has the same level of rarity. 

https://www.neostore.com/Kizuna-Encounter-Super-Tag-Battle-English-AES-p/1029.htm

I was legitimately worried some WATA-level buyers were going to drop a 6 figure bids at the last second. 5k is a lot of money, but let's be honest, someone dropped 1.5m on a sealed Mario 64 last year. This isn't even in the same realm of ridiculous. 

I own games that are equally or even more rare than this. Rarity does not equate to value, but here you are already discussing how this is a once-in-a-lifetime item and discussing selling auction values. Not good.

Also, you aren't just trying to brag, but bumped a thread from January regarding a Super A'Can full set bauble, despite the fact that that bauble was dead in the water and we don't even have any baubles or charms? Yeah, like you weren't trying to epeen lol.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, DarkKobold said:

A used truck? More like a new truck these days. 

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/articles/best-trucks-under-25k

Also yeah, if I could have gotten this for $100, I'd have been absolutely stoked. I bid high because I assume this was it. I can't emphasize enough, I doubt anyone will ever see this game (especially not CIB) up for sale. A friend from twitter said he thinks there's one other CIB copy in existence. 

Aladdin Deck Enhancer is an A++ rarity too, and how about Tengen's Tetris? 😄

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I own games that are equally or even more rare than this. Rarity does not equate to value, but here you are already discussing how this is a once-in-a-lifetime item and discussing selling auction values. Not good.

Also, you aren't just trying to brag, but bumped a thread from January regarding a Super A'Can full set bauble, despite the fact that that bauble was dead in the water and we don't even have any baubles or charms? Yeah, like you weren't trying to epeen lol.

Where did I ever say "selling auction values?" I feel I got it for cheaper than *I* think it is worth, and am celebrating that. Sorry, my copy won't be for sale any time in the forseeable future. I'm not flipping this, so stop insinuating that. 

And yeah, I'm excited by this win. Sue me. I wasn't even serious about asking for the bauble. 

Just to restate: I think that it's great news that @DarkKobold got this game. I'm always thrilled when a rare item ends up in the hands of collectors, since I'm a collector as well and I've experienced this and I think it's pure magic. Like DarkKobold, I will never sell any of the items that fall into that category unless I'm in extremely dire financial circumstances with no other options. These can feel like once-in-a-lifetime opportunities which makes them exciting.

I don't think as a community we could've asked for a better steward of a game with this level of rarity, congrats again.

I also somewhat agree with @fcgamer that it is sad that items someone might have nostalgia for from their childhood in Taiwan won't be able to acquire them because the prices are too high. My problem with his vision of the world though is when it comes to the solution/implementation. I don't think there's a way to solve this problem without causing other, worse ripple effects in the community at large, both the retro gaming community as well as the local (in this case Taiwanese) community. I doubt a random citizen who finds out the game in their closet is worth 3-4 months' salary to a foreigner is going to be thrilled to find out they have to keep it to themselves, or sell it for $1k to a local collector instead.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

And yeah, I'm excited by this win. Sue me. I wasn't even serious about asking for the bauble. 

Neither was I when I brought up the topic initially, but you sure we're eager to make sure the only other collector of A'Can here saw your costly purchase.

On a different note, I hope the manual's staples are original and aren't repros.

10 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Neither was I when I brought up the topic initially, but you sure we're eager to make sure the only other collector of A'Can here saw your costly purchase.

On a different note, I hope the manual's staples are original and aren't repros.

I didn't quote you, I quoted other people, so as far as I know, you wouldn't have been notified. Your argument falls flat. You certainly are trying to make my purchase about you. Also, I have no intentions in replacing the staples Brandon Cobb removed. As far as I'm concerned, that's part of this individual copy's history now. Anything to shit on me getting this, huh? 

Also, claiming you weren't being serious, when you made multiple page responses talking about how great it was for Western collectors to collect A'can really is a load of hogwash. Anyone can open that thread and judge how serious you were. 

Edited by DarkKobold

3 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

I didn't quote you, I quoted other people, so as far as I know, you wouldn't have been notified. Your argument falls flat. You certainly are trying to make my purchase about you. Also, I have no intentions in replacing the staples Brandon Cobb removed. As far as I'm concerned, that's part of this individual copy's history now. Anything to shit on me getting this, huh? 

Also, claiming you weren't being serious, when you made multiple page responses talking about how great it was for Western collectors to collect A'can really is a load of hogwash. Anyone can open that thread and judge how serious you were. 

You have no idea how serious I was or wasn't, but yeah, you sure were waiting to jump on that thread reviving it all the way from January, that's quite obvious. I already congratulated you on your purchase, can't really help that you got upset when I was honest and stated that the game library just isn't great for a westerner, and therefore can't in good faith recommend the machine.

This is silly, I have better things to do such as finishing this round of Mario 3, an amazing game. Goodnight.

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You have no idea how serious I was or wasn't, but yeah, you sure were waiting to jump on that thread reviving it all the way from January, that's quite obvious. I already congratulated you on your purchase, can't really help that you got upset when I was honest and stated that the game library just isn't great for a westerner, and therefore can't in good faith recommend the machine.

This is silly, I have better things to do such as finishing this round of Mario 3, an amazing game. Goodnight.

Ah yes, I used my powers of telepathy to know that Brandon Cobb was going to sell REBEL on random week in September after 13+ years of saying almost nothing about it. I hatched my evil plan, and laid in waiting with the greatest of patience. It's definitely not like I just searched the forum for mentions of Super A'can to see what discussion had happened recently, and bumped the thread in jest and excitement. Damn you for revealing my telepathy superpowers. 

My problem isn't that you said the system isn't great for Westerners. It's that you pulled a 180 degree turn in your argument. It's an awesome system for Westerns when you want a bauble, and it's a garbage system for Westerners when I get the grail. 

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Ok yeah while I'm more often than not on your side, going a bit far here at this point.

Yes it's a brag, anyone would do it, that's why the look what I got thread exists.

My only problem is and this has nothing to do with Acan, Taiwan, or even specifically Americans.  It's largely the westerner concept of fuck it and throw the financial kitchen sink at it and damn the consequences.  Not saying another Rebel will pop up, it's irrelevant here.  The most recent vicious piece of example was the money thrown around like water and lockdowns 2-3 years ago.  People just took the F-it angle and paid whatever it took to get what they wanted because they could.  The VGPC line graph spikes speak volumes to it.  And does anyone think on the whole March 2020 and past years prices will return on various things and I don't just mean games?  No.  When you create a rush and prices go up you're part of the problem because you're helping inflate the value, and they don't always deflate let alone return to the original size.  By setting up some insane bid, then going off on how 5600 was a lot but cheap since I went all in and had financial exit plans 1 through 3 setup to cover my insanity that is a problem.  Just like when people would put those asinine BOUNTY signatures on NA acting like that moron Fry with the shut up and take my money line.

It's just one big fuck you to everyone except the immediate buyer and the seller, as you broke new ground on making things worse... but hey, whatever I got what I wanted.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

My problem isn't that you said the system isn't great for Westerners. It's that you pulled a 180 degree turn in your argument. It's an awesome system for Westerns when you want a bauble, and it's a garbage system for Westerners when I get the

At least Pabst got their blue ribbon. Send me your address, I'll send you one as well, as that's exactly how things are starting to sound from where I stand. 😛

Also anyone who starts throwing around terms like "once in a lifetime" are either trying to justify the price they paid, or set a benchmark for when they sell. It gets old after while, as we don't know what is and isn't out there waiting to be found. Just annoys me as I'm quite logical in this way.

So...what's the solution then? You see a holy grail item you've been after for 8 years pop up on auction, and you're supposed to just bid like...half of what you think it's worth? Let someone else buy it, because you don't want to drive prices up too much?

Have you never been extremely passionate/excited about getting an item?

IDK...as I said before, I've been in this situation a couple times and paid what I thought was necessary to get the item, because I had the money and had been looking for the game for a while and they are exceedingly rare to the point where the opportunity may never present itself again. Guess I should've just let someone else buy it though, to maintain lower prices on VGPN and PriceCharting. Sorry guys.

• Agree 2

Just now, fcgamer said:

Also anyone who starts throwing around terms like "once in a lifetime" are either trying to justify the price they paid, or set a benchmark for when they sell. It gets old after while, as we don't know what is and isn't out there waiting to be found. Just annoys me as I'm quite logical in this way.

If something has literally never sold in the last 30 years, it's not realistic to assume there are tons out there and you never know when another one will come along.

Sure, maybe there are 1000s of extra copies sitting around in someone's attic. Based on the fact that nobody has ever seen one, it's reasonable to assume there aren't though. If we saw a single purple cat, we could say "hey, maybe there are tons of these!" But the reasonable thing would be to say "Holy shit, this is probably the only purple cat in existence, we'll probably never seen another one as long as we live"

Just now, Khromak said:

So...what's the solution then? You see a holy grail item you've been after for 8 years pop up on auction, and you're supposed to just bid like...half of what you think it's worth? Let someone else buy it, because you don't want to drive prices up too much?

Have you never been extremely passionate/excited about getting an item?

IDK...as I said before, I've been in this situation a couple times and paid what I thought was necessary to get the item, because I had the money and had been looking for the game for a while and they are exceedingly rare to the point where the opportunity may never present itself again. Guess I should've just let someone else buy it though, to maintain lower prices on VGPN and PriceCharting. Sorry guys.

Actually I'm not sure, I'm still thinking about what would be the best solution. I would have liked to see Rebel showcased at that event I was at last night though. 

Also, I've been searching for this game for 12 years. I'm just curious where the super fun can't live without A'Can games are. 

2 minutes ago, Khromak said:

If we saw a single purple cat, we could say "hey, maybe there are tons of these!" But the reasonable thing would be to say "Holy shit, this is probably the only purple cat in existence, we'll probably never seen another one as long as we live

Sort of like white cockroaches 

3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

One sold about eight years ago.

I think most people would qualify games that sell single copies every decade as being pretty rare. That's like, undoubtedly in the "rarest video games known to exist" category. Fraction of 1% of rarity, like 99.95% rarest games in existence. Most consoles have between 0-1 non-prototype games of this rarity. Most consoles have 0 games this rare. Calling it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is absolutely true.

• Agree 1