IGNORED

Whichever shell company currently owns the Atari brand buys AtariAge.com

Ugh I hope that doesn't go south, AA was the more kind, mature, and more understanding of the age sites.  Their ban on politics and social justice bs was a huge bonus as it kept fights and division away, plus the staff didn't troll the members either.  Quite shocking news I didn't even see it pop up on the page there.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I think it’s part of the evolution of gaming, collecting and people. Members with a passion from the origins of any forum get older, wiser (?maybe), have kids, pay hefty mortgages etc. New members come along, forum passion gets more and more diluted over time

=> sellout.

Would be interesting to know the average age of the AA members, seeing that Atari has been around for about 40 years!

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

damn, got serious flashback vibes from reading that AA thread. Hope it goes better for them than it did for us.

If it helps, Albert already upgraded the AA backbone, so there's not any reason for that to go away with new ownership.

NA was being held together with the digital equivalent of a stick of gum there at the end.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Albert has been pretty open about it on discord and on the page.

Last I looked the majority of posters on there range from the 40-60s age group and that was fairly recently keeping an eye on when people say things if not outright say as much.

Albert was his own thing running AA it was his job and what came of it did.  As a worker for Atari now, he has a steady paycheck, same controls, setup and terms that AA had still exist, but now he has that title and all those added responsibilities about it.  He seems pretty happy, except when the nitwits 2 nights ago at invision boards fouled up the script renewal on there which took the page down for some people (me too) using a chromium core for their browser.  He was pissed and was pretty going on about it until it got fixed.  He was afraid people would think it was Nintendoage/Dain pulling the rug out.

33 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

What was this and why is it gone? Did it just go away like the roms?

It was NES competition similar to the weekly contests on here but much more informal. It's technically still there, but the guy who was running it stopped doing it due to lack of interest.

Edited by mbd39

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Nothing says anyone here couldn't take over trying to push it back into use.

In my experience that type of thing takes a very driven individual to keep the ship going. Not saying there isn't someone who could do that, but it's a pretty thankless job at times.

Reminds me of when one dude came on here saying, "Why doesn't someone recreate the NES database that NA had?" We responded, "Sure, if you want to get it going." "Oh, I meant someone else do all the work."

• Agree 2