IGNORED

Whichever shell company currently owns the Atari brand buys AtariAge.com

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/atari-acquires-atariage

They also bought Mobygames last year, meaning two of the oldest and most precious vintage game resources are in the hands of... whatever the hell Atari is these days. This must be why they firesaled out all of their bootleg games recently.

AFAIK AtariAge is the oldest and biggest vintage game forum on the internet (although I could be wrong). Unless they were in dire financial straits, I can't imagine this is a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, its a blow for sure.

Things change.  Gotta roll with it.  Maybe there's an opportunity to recruit some of the very excellent homebrew authors and other content creators over to VGS.  I'm sure there will be some who want to migrate to an independent platform . . . I am considering stopping my subscription.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

They've removed ROMs from the site too. Not that everyone is entitled to free Atari games, but also this is potentially just an IP crackdown not some benevolent history preservation mission. Not sure how much Choplifter 7800 piracy was impacting Atari's bottom line.

image.png.fb2dccf8c8fd9786072d4583f85ec0ce.png

The ROMs have been hit and miss and disappearing for years.  I never counted on the rom download being there when I needed it (and hadn't for years).  It never bothered me since there were download links for so many other games throughout the forum.  The homebrew programming sub forums are a gold mine.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
49 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

They've removed ROMs from the site too. Not that everyone is entitled to free Atari games, but also this is potentially just an IP crackdown not some benevolent history preservation mission. Not sure how much Choplifter 7800 piracy was impacting Atari's bottom line.

image.png.fb2dccf8c8fd9786072d4583f85ec0ce.png

Interestingly, they're still hosting the ROMs; you can go to the same link as before to download a given game:

https://www.atariage.com/2600/roms/Berzerk.zip

Replace 2600 w/ 7800 and Berzerk w/ Choplifter et voila, ROM downloaded. So they've just removed the links to the ROMs, not the ROMs themselves.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

30 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Interestingly, they're still hosting the ROMs; you can go to the same link as before to download a given game:

https://www.atariage.com/2600/roms/Berzerk.zip

Replace 2600 w/ 7800 and Berzerk w/ Choplifter et voila, ROM downloaded. So they've just removed the links to the ROMs, not the ROMs themselves.

I actually have used that method a few times for some various things that somehow disappeared.  I think I had to get a test cart rom like that.  Anyway, that will probably change too.

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I actually have used that method a few times for some various things that somehow disappeared.  I think I had to get a test cart rom like that.  Anyway, that will probably change too.

I'm sure it'll change in the future when they become aware of it if they're not already aware. 

Just nuking the database field for the ROMs doesn't make much sense as Atari may claim ownership to them and gather up a bunch of ROMs they didn't have to hand previously or something. They want to have it, they just don't want you to have it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm sure it'll change in the future when they become aware of it if they're not already aware. 

Just nuking the database field for the ROMs doesn't make much sense as Atari may claim ownership to them and gather up a bunch of ROMs they didn't have to hand previously or something. They want to have it, they just don't want you to have it.

A little wget magic lol classic line from the social network

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b9f46ce1-3c67-40c1-ab43-8c5265e3bd68

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that AA survives pretty much as-is.  Despite the Atari name, they really are about the only active place for the Intellivision, TI-99, Colecovision, and some other classic systems I have an interest in. Way back when, Atari made games for all those systems but I have a hard time thinking the new Atari wants to spend any money propping up a forum for them.

• Like 1