IGNORED

Movie Debate #132: Fight Club

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

I'm going to have to think about this one.  I only saw it once and that was in college.  It wasn't my cup-o-tea then, and it isn't now.

But I can see past personal disagreements and other issues to see that this was a well made film.  I guess if we don't rate this by "historical" significance or anything like that, for me this is probably about a 3-4, but I'm going to give it some thought before I subumit.

Regardless, it's a movie about soap and I wonder if our local soap maker @Rhapsody98 has an opinion on this one?

I would give it a 10 at first probably, when I saw it at 20 years old. And I still think it's great, and not the only time David Fincher and Brad Pitt were great together. That and 12 Monkeys? Brad Pitt 🔥

But this one may wear on me now. The internet has beaten some horses into the ground. I do have to credit it with expressing the situation that led to the Occupy movement, and being an apt satire of the then-current state of our society and class. But the quotes and references that dominated the internet, I didn't know it was possible for such an excellent and sharp movie to be literally overrated. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, G-type said:

12 Monkeys was directed by Terry Gilliam

Yes, I'm saying "not the only time" (meaning this topic Fight Club +) "that" (being Se7en) "and 12 Monkeys" - referring to three great Pitt things, two Fincher films and the Gilliam film. 

I went with a 9. Fantastic book and movie.

Sure, everyone has copied elements from this story now and done a million memes on it but it was a pretty ground breaking film on release and a really interesting read. 

I showed it to my wife last year because she had never seen it and it still held up as a 9 for me.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I might need to watch it again, I don't get how heavily the cover references soap. Yeah, there's a part in the movie where they make soap, but it's like, a really quick part and then it's over??? I can think of like 10 other things they do that rank in prominence between the fighting and the soap. Did I forget a whole bunch of soap-making stuff in there??

I think this take on the movie is worth a rewatch

It's not as novel as the clickbait title makes it sound, I'm sure a lot of people figured the same thing, but I think it's interesting how vaguely defined the actual "events" of the movie are compared to the overarching theme of fragile masculinity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Splain said:

I might need to watch it again, I don't get how heavily the cover references soap. Yeah, there's a part in the movie where they make soap, but it's like, a really quick part and then it's over??? I can think of like 10 other things they do that rank in prominence between the fighting and the soap. Did I forget a whole bunch of soap-making stuff in there??

Soapmaking was the cover and also funding for the operation. No, it didn't figure heavily into many scenes or dialog but it was kind of some back story setup. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's a great movie, notwithstanding the retarded Hollywood ending where a guy can shoot himself in the face and be totally fine as he walks off into the sunset with his girlfriend...

26 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I gave it an 8, but I totally agree with you on the ending.

I can't even tell if you guys are kidding here 😅

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I get why they did it, but shooting yourself in the head doesn't seem like the best idea.

He shoots himself in the cheek not the head. It’s the exact same as the book. Although in the book he wakes up in hospital vs the buildings been blown up. Although I’ve always felt the glitch on the final scene might be a nod to say did the buildings really blow up? Like how they didn’t blow up in the book because he messed up the explosives formula.

There’s nothing Hollywood about this movie besides Brad Pitt being in it but he did a fantastic job so that’s a moot point.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not sure if that part was supposed to have really happened or if it was a hallucination. That and the buildings around theirs blew up, not the one they were in.

I always interpreted the men hurrying to get out as meaning their building was going to go as well.

And I thought when it switched to the spliced in dick pic that the building was starting to flash like it was going down, but just rewatched and will agree that doesn't appear to be the case.

Either way, the ending is totally fitting and you guys are nuts.  And I've also read the book 😅

• Like 1
  • Agree 1