IGNORED

Gone, But Not Forgotten

DarkTone

Editorials Team · Posted

My entire childhood collection's boxes.  Hundreds of them.  Many of them dead fucking mint.

Everything from Secret of Mana, Wild Guns, Ocarina of Time and Conker, to Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Metroid Zero Mission and Final Fantasy VI.

Dad claims he didn't throw them out.  Mom claims they're not in her storage unit.  The fight is ongoing.

• Wow! 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

38 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My entire childhood collection's boxes.  Hundreds of them.  Many of them dead fucking mint.

This one gets my vote for the one that lots of people are going to be able to identify with.  I'm in the minority myself having found almost all of my old boxes...

42 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Dad claims he didn't throw them out.  Mom claims they're not in her storage unit.  The fight is ongoing.

And then this part too.  A friend has the same situation.  No one knows for sure, may have gone to the attic or been hidden in a neighbors house as punishment if you can believe that shit...

Several years ago now, I was playing through 2nd Quest of Legend Of Zelda for the first time ever.  I was all set to head into the final dungeon.  I popped it into the NES and all three blocks of game save were empty.  That is still the only time that I've had a battery die on me.  I think I'm finally past the anger sufficient to maybe start that 2nd Quest again one of these days...

• Haha 1

It's hard to say. I don't think I've lost anything of terrible value. Sure, I've had save files corrupted where I lost 30-40 hours of progress in an RPG a time or two. There are probably a couple of cartridges that I gave away or sold stupidly-cheap that I probably would have held on to if I had realized that I'd be coming back to them full circle.

I kind of wish I had managed to keep all my Nintendo Power Dragon Warrior memorabilia (the poster map, the adventure journal, the reference cards, etc.). I would have loved to hang the map and the DW2 monster roster on my wall. No idea what happened to all of it. It seems to have just gradually vanished over the years.

In general, I wish I had the forethought to keep all of my video game magazines over the years. I managed to reacquire a bunch of old issues of Nintendo Power (and what a joy they are to page through!) but I wish I still had all those issues of GamePro, EGM, Game Informer, Game Fan and PC Gamer. Oh...and InQuest. God, I wish I still had my back issues of InQuest.

The biggest piece of lost media for me, though, was a home video from '89-'90, when I was spending time with my grandparents. I don't remember if there was much recorded of me actually playing video games but I do seem to think there was some footage of me opening presents that Christmas morning and a shiny, new copy of Mega Man 2 was a highlight. But it was also the only video footage that I'm personally aware of of my grandmother before she died. Somewhere in the past 15 years or so, that tape has become lost. My parents can't seem to find it and neither can I. As far as I know, there's no other place it could be. I would have loved to show that tape to my kids.

Something owned: Aero Fighters ($10, game, manual, dust clip, poster) -- sold it due to hardship in 05 or 06. When I could get it again and remembered it the ship sailed at $200 in 2012, and now it's 5x that.  I'll never own it, it's fine, I have the 2 superior sequels on NeoGeo MVS.

Loss of work: Just had finished FF1 on NES after months of play, saved it so I could repeat that the next day.  Came back to find it saved at Lv1 at the castle as my wanker brother decided despite hating RPG and adventure(zelda) games it looked like a good idea.  I've never finished the game ever again on the NES format(the same cart or emulated) since.

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

Card gaming, but painful either way. Lost my magic the gathering collection from a smash and grab robbery from someone who used to frequent my local game shop. About 3k loss, and this was in 2003. I rebuilt it up and sold out in 2009. If I held onto it all it would be worth well into 6 figures nowadays. Who knew?!

I got rid of all of my old gaming magazines, and PC big boxes about 20 years ago.  It's the only gaming related stuff I've ever thrown away and of course I regret it today.  The only gaming items I've ever sold (outside of duplicates) were my Sega Saturn games.  And of course, I wish I still that that stuff as well.  

I had a modest Atari 2600 collection disappear on me while I was away at college. My parents swore up and down that they didn't sell it at the garage sale they held before they sold the house, but it wasn't in the boxes they had when they moved out of state.

I'm hoping it was squirreled away in my aunt's house, who was holding some things that my dad later picked up. They were in a big storage room and might have been overlooked. It's hard for my aunt to get up into that storage space (it's in an awkward spot in the house), so next time I'm over there, I might take a look.

Edited by Tulpa

On 7/24/2023 at 4:50 PM, Gloves said:

I've had my entire collection stolen, twice.

Is there a dedicated thread to these stories? Jesus... 

On 7/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Everything from Secret of Mana, Wild Guns, Ocarina of Time and Conker, to Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Metroid Zero Mission and Final Fantasy VI.

Can you go look through the storage unit yourself? Check your Dads place as to where they could be if he really "didn't throw them out". Settle the debate? 

This seems obvious though... so.... just take whatever flight/boat/train you need to take to get to this storage unit.

This is basically Indiana Jones for video games. 😅

To answer the thread:

Biggest loss.... was getting scammed for $500. Stupid of me, like ~2012?, but I got too excited and sent someone e-transfer without actually getting proper confirmation of tracking/games/a transaction being sent and wasn't a "known" person on Facebook group or anything. They, of course, ghosted me on Facebook and e-mail, and blah, blah, blah. It was my fault. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AirVillain

I had a Playstation, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, N64 and XBOX at various points and eventually got rid of all of them because I was no longer interested.

I had Final Fantasy II, III and Secret of Mana for SNES. And Einhander and Symphony of the Night for Playstation.

I had a big pile of Atari 2600 games as a kid but all common loose carts nothing rare or valuable.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Is there a dedicated thread to these stories? Jesus... 

Nah lol, fairly straightforward. When I was a kid someone broke into our apartment storage unit as we were prepping to move and stole a bunch of stuff, including all my games and consoles (would have been NES & SNES at the time). Later as a far too trusting adult, I leant my collection to a coworker who then quit and disappeared.

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Nah lol, fairly straightforward. When I was a kid someone broke into our apartment storage unit as we were prepping to move and stole a bunch of stuff, including all my games and consoles (would have been NES & SNES at the time). Later as a far too trusting adult, I leant my collection to a coworker who then quit and disappeared.

Yowza. First one seems like a typical grab and go type deal.... but the guy scamming you and bailing, wow.... that's wild!!

It's not your fault. Clearly the person was a psycho... but yeah...  what a crazy thing to do. Fuck these games are so sweet I'm going to quit my job and disappear. 😭

Would the HR team give you their address or anything? Smash some windows. 

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Yowza. First one seems like a typical grab and go type deal.... but the guy scamming you and bailing, wow.... that's wild!!

It's not your fault. Clearly the person was a psycho... but yeah...  what a crazy thing to do. Fuck these games are so sweet I'm going to quit my job and disappear. 😭

Would the HR team give you their address or anything? Smash some windows. 

Unfortunately no, our boss was entirely unhelpful. 

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2023 at 7:32 PM, PII said:

Several years ago now, I was playing through 2nd Quest of Legend Of Zelda for the first time ever.  I was all set to head into the final dungeon.  I popped it into the NES and all three blocks of game save were empty.  That is still the only time that I've had a battery die on me.  I think I'm finally past the anger sufficient to maybe start that 2nd Quest again one of these days...

Next time hold reset as you power off 😜