IGNORED

Does eBay Care About Fakes?

I have been reporting clear fakes to eBay recently; however, they have not taken any of the listings down. 

This one is egregious (credit to @Futureman for locating). It's just a copy and paste of pictures from the original listing. The fake has the gall to remove pictures reflecting damage and add a screen shot of the CIB pricecharting value. 

Original listing:

image.png.7412a7aba385ff7cdaa2ea40dba2e8b5.png

Fake listing: 

image.png.164fcf290445cdcf6c8c43e6a7f31a08.png

I reported the fake. No action. 

Same thing last week. Clearly a repro Final Fantasy (NES) box:

image.png.1e46cfd99f3b879564f64e55c5bb1e9e.png

Reported it. No action by eBay. Some poor collector spent $500.00 on a fake box. I've seen at least three fake Final Fantasy (NES) boxes on eBay in the past week. Apparently that's the new hot repro scam. 

Is there anything beyond reporting these games we can do to have eBay pull the listings? I feel some sort of ridiculous obligation to maintain the integrity of the hobby. I'd appreciate hearing your past experiences, and if anyone knows of more effective ways to have fake listings pulled. 

***Update - the Super Mario World listing with fake pictures sold this afternoon for $671.00. 

Edited by Scubahustle
Update

8 minutes ago, Scubahustle said:

I have been reporting clear fakes to eBay recently; however, they have not taken any of the listings down. 

This one is egregious (credit to @Futureman for locating). It's just a copy and paste of pictures from the original listing. The fake has the gall to remove pictures reflecting damage and add a screen shot of the CIB pricecharting value. 

Original listing:

image.png.7412a7aba385ff7cdaa2ea40dba2e8b5.png

Fake listing: 

image.png.164fcf290445cdcf6c8c43e6a7f31a08.png

I reported the fake. No action. 

Same thing last week. Clearly a repro Final Fantasy (NES) box:

image.png.1e46cfd99f3b879564f64e55c5bb1e9e.png

Reported it. No action by eBay. Some poor collector spent $500.00 on a fake box. I've seen at least three fake Final Fantasy (NES) boxes on eBay in the past week. Apparently that's the new hot repro scam. 

Is there anything beyond reporting these games we can do to have eBay pull the listings? I feel some sort of ridiculous obligation to maintain the integrity of the hobby. I'd appreciate hearing your past experiences, and if anyone knows of more effective ways to have fake listings pulled. 

We’ve talked about this before. At the end of the day it’s mostly the buyer that needs to protect themselves. Plus when you get it in your hands and can see very clearly it’s fake you just file for a return under Buyer Protection and be done with it. If you can’t tell it’s fake then you are super happy with your purchase and display it proudly in your collection shrouded in ignorance lol

Once the seller gets rung up enough times on Buyer Protection they’ll get removed from eBay and just start another account 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

We’ve talked about this before. At the end of the day it’s mostly the buyer that needs to protect themselves. Plus when you get it in your hands and can see very clearly it’s fake you just file for a return under Buyer Protection and be done with it. If you can’t tell it’s fake then you are super happy with your purchase and display it proudly in your collection shrouded in ignorance lol

Once the seller gets rung up enough times on Buyer Protection they’ll get removed from eBay and just start another account 🤷‍♂️ 

You make some great points about buyers being protected. The problem is, it goes beyond just harming the buyer and harms the hobby as a whole. For example (for better or for worse), online transactions (no matter the site) tend to be anchored by pricecharting. The fake sales that go unreported drive up average prices, and the existence of many 10/10 mint boxes drives down the price of the real copies that people are trying to sell.

I am just frustrated that we have to sit back and watch fake games go into circulation, and there is nothing we can do about it.  

• Agree 1

But that exists in all types of collectables, art, cards, etc.  Buyer beware.  I don't have much sympathy for a collector that doesn't do their homework and gets taken for a ride because they're impulsive with their money.  If they werent, a lot less fakes would get out there and it wouldn't fool anyone.

• Like 1

Do they care?  No.

Too much product, too much profit, and the majority just don't care or are not bright enough(researched) to notice or care if it works.

So since it's too much work for them, it's bot farmed for flags.  However that farm works, if its how they word it, you word it, how many complaints total or over a time frame, whatever it is, something will trigger it to remove.  But if you complain alone, unless you lucked into being that guy that broke the limit, nothing happens.  Years ago when traffic was far less complaints had stuff come down, but I'm thinking like a dozen years ago, not now.

They just don't care, they get paid on the slimy FVF, that's what matters.

Ebay = Caveat emptor

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Scubahustle said:

You make some great points about buyers being protected. The problem is, it goes beyond just harming the buyer and harms the hobby as a whole. For example (for better or for worse), online transactions (no matter the site) tend to be anchored by pricecharting. The fake sales that go unreported drive up average prices, and the existence of many 10/10 mint boxes drives down the price of the real copies that people are trying to sell.

I am just frustrated that we have to sit back and watch fake games go into circulation, and there is nothing we can do about it.  

I’m sure you can apply for a job at eBay if you feel that strongly about it 😎

Social Team · Posted

Hell, there are sellers who list shit as "New (Other)" and it's a disc only.  Hell I've seen PS4 (case only) being listed slightly below CIB PriceCharting prices and are listed as "New (Other)" with title saying *read description*.  Only there do you see it's case only.  Yet case only are listed on eBay for 75% less the cost.  Obvious they are looking for someone to do a quick look and purchase because the pricing is a good deal.  

People can put a lot of responsibility on the buyer but I think it's absolute bullshit when the sell literally is looking to "scam" someone.  Same goes for these repos of retro games being sold.  If the seller knows shit is misleading then it's wrong.  Ebay only cares when they find themselves in legal trouble with selling fake shit that the actual company will sue to stop.  There is a difference from buying shit in a shady situation for a stupid low price.  All signs point it being a fake and then I'm with people on saying the buyer should of known better.  Maybe with Ebay collecting contact information for tax purposes they can actually implement bans on individual people.  It'll only be so long before a seller burns through the handful of people's ID's that are willing to let them make an account on eBay.  Not to mention the IRS audit they may trigger with not reporting income earned in their name on eBay.

Hey, the IRS thing might actually help reduce these shit sellers!  Problem is I don't think eBay cares enough to actual black list the person from making another account with the same damn name.  They'll do the bear minimum to "address" the problem.  But they make a fuck ton of money off of miss leading listings and repos/fakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

People can put a lot of responsibility on the buyer but I think it's absolute bullshit when the sell literally is looking to "scam" someone.  Same goes for these repos of retro games being sold.  If the seller knows shit is misleading then it's wrong. 

I agree 100%. Any time I see *READ DESCRIPTION* I know the seller is up to something no good.  

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Scubahustle said:

I agree 100%. Any time I see *READ DESCRIPTION* I know the seller is up to something no good.  

I think this is a good thought process when it comes to video game resellers.  Other sellers I've seen them use this properly to explain minor defects or wear on the item like with clothes.  Any clothes reseller learns quick that you have to note all imperfections or you'll get hit with a return/refund.  Unless the clothing items is new I'm expect them to always mention some kind of minor flaw for older clothes.  

31 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Yes for sneakers and sports cards. What the hell is a collectible video game?????

So to eBay and the general public we’re just a fringe group of weirdos hoarding obsolete consumer electronics? I’m going to go hug my CRT and have a good cry now. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Scubahustle said:

Same as when they sell a game like an NES title for example, as “untested”, and they’re also selling multiple other video games and working Nintendo consoles. That one cracks me up. You know its a broken game. 

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Same story. Started reporting fakes years ago, nothing happened, said fuck it.

Ditto. I think back on NA a handful of people tried cooperating to report listings and get as many flags on individual items as possible. Hate to say it but I think it would take an extensive sustained effort from a community much bigger than this forum to get them to start paying attention. 

• Sad 1