IGNORED

Does eBay Care About Fakes?

Maybe it's just me, but I've known for a long long time that in Japan when you have something that isn't verified working it gets called JUNK and also usually they roll up beat up stuff and actual broken stuff as JUNK too (and rarely write BROKEN on broken stuff.)

I view anything and everything in that perspective when buying on ebay(online in general) that if something is listed as untested, as-is, "I'm not sure (...reasons...)" it's just JUNK as the Japanese put it. I'll likely just ignore it, or if the price is so freaking low I'll take the risk as I can do some minor to a few moderate tier repairs with my overly basic/poor soldering kit I have.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Why dont you read and see where it started, and take steps accordingly? I made a simple statement that didnt require a response. The trolling is painfully obvious, and its become to the point that no one does anything about it. 

No, because it's an attitude issue on your part, rather than a trolling issue on my part. Let's revisit what you said, it's below in bold and quotes:

"Same as when they sell a game like an NES title for example, as “untested”, and they’re also selling multiple other video games and working Nintendo consoles. That one cracks me up. You know its a broken game. "

Over the years of purchasing cartridge games, what estimate would you give or a percentage that didn't work? Yard sales, flea markets, ebay, NA, grandmother's cupboards, etc. 

As I pointed out, there's plenty of reasons why the scenario would occur (and I do it myself sometimes too), which doesn't involve asshole crooked sellers trying to get one over on a buyer. That's it, period. 

Sorry man, it's not trolling, it's just that I believe most humans are decent people and likely aren't out to screw people over for $50. Lazy, sure, crooks, not so much.

if you got an issue, just ignore me. I've got no issues with it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

No, because it's an attitude issue on your part, rather than a trolling issue on my part. Let's revisit what you said, it's below in bold and quotes:

"Same as when they sell a game like an NES title for example, as “untested”, and they’re also selling multiple other video games and working Nintendo consoles. That one cracks me up. You know its a broken game. "

Over the years of purchasing cartridge games, what estimate would you give or a percentage that didn't work? Yard sales, flea markets, ebay, NA, grandmother's cupboards, etc. 

As I pointed out, there's plenty of reasons why the scenario would occur (and I do it myself sometimes too), which doesn't involve asshole crooked sellers trying to get one over on a buyer. That's it, period. 

Sorry man, it's not trolling, it's just that I believe most humans are decent people and likely aren't out to screw people over for $50. Lazy, sure, crooks, not so much.

Lol i dont buy them. I just pass. But keep trying to prove me wrong I guess?

To mods: if he keeps quoting me, im going to respond. Feel free to give me my little slap on the wrist now.

11 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@MrWunderful If you have an issue with me having a differing opinion to yours, just add me to your ignore list. There's no need to act upset and threaten to cause a scene or whatever when you have options. 

And if my post regarding my thoughts and experience regarding untested cartridge-based games is considered trolling, then I'm honestly not sure what to say. 

• Agree 1

I think the difference is that the quote says "and they’re also selling multiple other video games and working Nintendo consoles."

If the guy has a bunch of tested games and consoles, why in the world would one of them not be tested? Seems like you guys are talking about two different scenarios, to try to prove your two different viewpoints on the world.

11 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I think the difference is that the quote says "and they’re also selling multiple other video games and working Nintendo consoles."

If the guy has a bunch of tested games and consoles, why in the world would one of them not be tested? Seems like you guys are talking about two different scenarios, to try to prove your two different viewpoints on the world.

You are right 100%. Im not trying to prove anything, I was quoted lol. Just explaining I move past that exact situation, where someone selling working nes consoles also sells “untested” NES games. 

11 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I know what the quote says, but I've done this very thing myself, and even mentioned it in some of my posts.

Example: I bought games for Sega five years ago, had my Sega hooked up then and played them. Then last weekend I bought a cheapie Sega game off of a grandma yet I haven't played Sega in years, and I can't find where that damned cable is to hook the thing up to my television. Then again, Sega cartridges generally work, well from experience the amount of duds is what, 1%? So spend three hours digging out my Sega and trying to test a low-value game or just sell it untested? I know what I would do...

And that therefore is my point. The amount of dud cartridge games we have all purchased is quite low, compared to the amount of games we have purchased as a total. A lot of folks are lazy or stupid, but I don't believe the majority are crooks, especially if we are talking items of comparatively little value. So yes, there are plenty of situations where it would make sense why the person would have some tested and others not tested, with a machine up for grabs as well, aside from the knee-jerk reaction that the guy is trying to pull a fast one.

But whatever.

22 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@MrWunderful If you have an issue with me having a differing opinion to yours, just add me to your ignore list. There's no need to act upset and threaten to cause a scene or whatever when you have options. 

And if my post regarding my thoughts and experience regarding untested cartridge-based games is considered trolling, then I'm honestly not sure what to say. 

No. I will respond how I see fit, because I dont care that much about words on the internet. 

Curious to see the dirt you have on the mods though, as they let you troll and then immediately claim victimhood while “disciplining”  the people you engage. 

Remember, this all started by you quoting me unprovoked trying to prove wrong a non-controversial statement I made about how I purchase things online. 

Ill be moving on now unless you quote me again. 

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Like 1

If it takes you 3 hours to pull out a Sega Genesis you're actively selling on the platform and test a single game, you've got bigger issues in your life. Maybe you need a neurologist. Again, I'm taking this in the context of "and they’re also selling multiple other video games and working Nintendo consoles." If you have a working Sega Genesis and you're selling it as working, and you're also selling Sega Genesis games, it doesn't seem like a large logical leap to pop that game in and see if it works.

Granted, maybe the scenario is as you said, they played the games 3 years ago but didn't play them all. If I'm the buyer though, I'm going to assume the "untested" ones are "broken" because otherwise why not test them on the system you have on your sales page, except if you know it won't work when you test it.

IDK, depends entirely on the seller's page, but in the scenario @MrWunderful pasted in the quote, I'd keep far away from that untested game.

As to the reliability of cartridge-based games, I think most of the ones I've bought have worked, but there are exceptions. Could also be a bootleg or something. Depends on the value too; if it's a 10-yard fight, probably not a scam, but the more expensive the game gets, the more likely that it's disingenous.

5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

No. I will respond how I see fit, because I dont care that much about words on the internet. 

Curious to see the dirt you have on the mods though, as they let you troll and then immediately claim victimhood while “disciplining”  the people you engage. 

Remember, this all started by you quoting me unprovoked trying to prove wrong a non-controversial statement I made about how I purchase things online. 

Ill be moving on now unless you quote me again. 

Look man, I don't have issues with you or anyone else here on the forums. If you ever want something from over in my parts (such as fine tea or clay pots or whatever for example) just send me a message and I'll try to help you out, at cost, as long as things aren't too insanely busy in my life. Not everyone here sees eye-to-eye, but I don't hold ill-will to anyone here, and view us all as part of a large family.

4 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Granted, maybe the scenario is as you said, they played the games 3 years ago but didn't play them all. If I'm the buyer though, I'm going to assume the "untested" ones are "broken" because otherwise why not test them on the system you have on your sales page, except if you know it won't work when you test it.

However, this becomes an instance of WIFOM - everyone is going to assume as follows, so in that case, why would the seller even list it as untested if it were indeed broken, knowing that everyone would believe it to be broken? 😉

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

However, this becomes an instance of WIFOM - everyone is going to assume as follows, so in that case, why would the seller even list it as untested if it were indeed broken, knowing that everyone would believe it to be broken? 😉

I mean, it's the nicest thing you can say about your game without straight up lying, and it covers your ass when it doesn't work.

It's like you're selling a used car and you know it's been in a wreck and hurricane. You can't say it has a clean title, so you say "unknown title status." Sure most people assume it's a salvaged vehicle with a messed up history, but you've painted as rosy of a picture as possible for your listing, to extract as much value as possible out of your vehicle.

Why list something as broken and advertise the problems with it, attaching a negative adjective to your listing, when you can just say "untested" and get all the benefits of shirking liability when they find out it doesn't work, but not load your listing with all the baggage of being called "broken" "junk" or "unworking." Maybe someone like you will think "well, most cartridges work anyway, and this guy probably just didn't have time to test it. 99% chance it works!" Where that customer might not have bought something which said "broken, junk game for parts only" because it's already explicitly been called out as broken.

IDK, it's some human psychology nonsense, like the $0.99 price tags and such. Marketing.

3 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I mean, it's the nicest thing you can say about your game without straight up lying, and it covers your ass when it doesn't work.

It's like you're selling a used car and you know it's been in a wreck and hurricane. You can't say it has a clean title, so you say "unknown title status." Sure most people assume it's a salvaged vehicle with a messed up history, but you've painted as rosy of a picture as possible for your listing, to extract as much value as possible out of your vehicle.

Why list something as broken and advertise the problems with it, attaching a negative adjective to your listing, when you can just say "untested" and get all the benefits of shirking liability when they find out it doesn't work, but not load your listing with all the baggage of being called "broken" "junk" or "unworking." Maybe someone like you will think "well, most cartridges work anyway, and this guy probably just didn't have time to test it. 99% chance it works!" Where that customer might not have bought something which said "broken, junk game for parts only" because it's already explicitly been called out as broken.

IDK, it's some human psychology nonsense, like the $0.99 price tags and such. Marketing.

Well yeah, it is all marketing at the end of the day; however, if we remember the scenario of Japanese sellers and their "JUNK" items, it is, as always with life, a grey area rather than black or white. 

For those who are curious, if a cartridge is mismatched or has a PCB swap or back label swap or something (but is the right game), I would personally sell it in the "junk" category no matter how well it worked. 

Moderator · Posted

So far we have been paged and accused of preferential treatment. Is it really that hard to have a discussion without crap like this? We don’t like to hand out warnings/bans, but if y’all don’t start ignoring each other/playing nice we are going to do something as it’s ALWAYS the same people involved. 

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

So far we have been paged and accused of preferential treatment. Is it really that hard to have a discussion without crap like this?

From my experience, untested does not equate to broken. Period. I know this is the common thought, but as mentioned earlier, it's a WIFOM scenario, and from the personal experience of buying for over 25 years, as well as selling for around the same duration of time, there are tons of legitimate reasons why someone might not test a cart here or there, whilst selling other machines / tested games.

If a person doesn't feel confident in buying, then move on for crying out loud. But why are we using the idea of "guilty unto proven innocent" here?

I'm personally not trolling, rather I just responded to something that I felt was incorrect, from my personal experience and opinion. As I said before and I'll say again, if sharing my opinion (or even having an opinion) is trolling, then I'm not sure what to think of it all.

If the other member has an issue, then as I already suggested, I hope he will ignore me, and furthermore if he ever asks a favor for some obscure game or tea or whatever, by all means he can message me about it and I'll see what I can do to help assist him.

That's all I have to say on the matter, good night everyone, I'm heading to bed.

31 minutes ago, doner24 said:

So far we have been paged and accused of preferential treatment. Is it really that hard to have a discussion without crap like this? We don’t like to hand out warnings/bans, but if y’all don’t start ignoring each other/playing nice we are going to do something as it’s ALWAYS the same people involved. 

Can you be more clear about  “playing nice”, And what your opinion of that entails? Because I'm not ignoring anyone, and don’t want to get banned over something thats not in the rules. Just so we all know.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Can you be more clear about  “playing nice”, And what your opinion of that entails? Because I'm not ignoring anyone, and don’t want to get banned over something thats not in the rules. Just so we all know.

You're both overreacting, it feels a lot like babysitting at this point. Neither of you has done anything actionable or against the rules apart from just taking offense at the mere fact that one has interacted with the other. 

And that's the constant here, regardless of who starts it each time, any time the two of you interact, the thread gets derailed and the focus lands on the two of you bickering. It's literally like a school yard. Neither of you will ever be expelled for the petty little quips, but I'm gonna start handing out time outs if I see any more of it. 

And to be very clear I do mean that literally. If we see either of you interact in a way that the staff perceive to be  a negative fashion, it'll be a temp ban for one or both parties, at the discretion of the staff. 

Putting each other on ignore is the obvious adult solution to a situation where clearly neither of you can stand to not start something with the other, so in lieu of you both being adults about it, I'll step in and be the adult. For the sake of clarity, I am saying that anything that any of the staff perceive to be a jab or anything of the sort will henceforth be considered a violation of the "respect each other" rule. It's rule #1 on the site rules. Again, this is at the staffs discretion, as a past mod you should be well aware that there's no literal line in the sand and that things need to be on a case by case basis and account for history as well. It's more complicated than "you can say heck but not hell". 

If either of you feel the need to continue this discussion, do so via pm with a staff member. Doesn't have to be me. Further discussion here will be deleted as clutter. 

Now let's let the thread get back to its actual topic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

They are just trying to force more people into using their authentication service. Last time I sold a PSA pokemon card on there it took about 3 weeks to get paid while they "authenticated" it for the buyer. 

This is fascinating. Does eBay currently provide an authentication service for graded games? 

**edit: added "service"

Edited by Scubahustle

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe it's just me, but I've known for a long long time that in Japan when you have something that isn't verified working it gets called JUNK and also usually they roll up beat up stuff and actual broken stuff as JUNK too (and rarely write BROKEN on broken stuff.)

I view anything and everything in that perspective when buying on ebay(online in general) that if something is listed as untested, as-is, "I'm not sure (...reasons...)" it's just JUNK as the Japanese put it. I'll likely just ignore it, or if the price is so freaking low I'll take the risk as I can do some minor to a few moderate tier repairs with my overly basic/poor soldering kit I have.

Yes this is so true about Japanese "junk". They use that word excessively because it is easier for them to pronounce and it is short. Basically for them "junk" = "untested", however many would interpret this word as "broken" in "that proper English". If anyone sees a Japanese seller saying "junk" they just mean it is untested rather than being misleading

Regarding listings of “untested” games, I think the main thing is to look at the seller’s reputation rather than just to judge it from face value. I can also see certain patterns of selling as giving some clues to the legitimacy of the claims of an “untested” item. 
eg. Too many games listed, makes sense seller can’t test them all.

Few games listed AND he has a “working console”, then that’s a red flag. 

By and large, if a cart looks in poor condition, assume non-working, regardless of what the seller says if his/her reputation is unknown. If a seller has good reputation, and the cart looks like it got eaten by a dog and was spat out, and seller states “working cart”, then I’d likely believe the seller.

Regarding the OP topic, just remember eBay are money-grabbing mofos. They act like they care about the consumers, but they mainly do things which make them the most money. The fact that so many fakes/reproduction are listed as “brand new” or “like-new” over the years mean eBay aren’t trying very hard to punish some of these lying scum sellers.