IGNORED

Wreckage of submersible Titan found.

Tabonga

A debris field was found near the Titanic with some of the elements being visually identified as belonging to the submersible.  Depending on how wide spread the debris field is it seems likely that the submersible imploded  shortly around reaching the bottom (given the timeline that communication ceased).  Sad ending - but death would have been pretty much instantaneous so at least it was quick.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missing-submarine-titanic-debris-field-oceangate-us-coast-guard/

Edited by Tabonga

Yeah if that is indeed wreckage from the submersible and it did in fact implode instead of everyone suffering for 90+ hours at least these peoples loved ones will know they didn’t suffer. Still a tragedy no matter what though. I wonder if they will be able to find enough to figure out a cause. 

Social Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Yeah if that is indeed wreckage from the submersible and it did in fact implode instead of everyone suffering for 90+ hours at least these peoples loved ones will know they didn’t suffer. Still a tragedy no matter what though. I wonder if they will be able to find enough to figure out a cause. 

Give how thick the steel is on the sub, I imagine large enough chunks should be intact to make an educated guess at where the failure was.  It'll just be very hard to get the pieces to the surface to analyze.  If it wreck was on the surface then for sure they could.  Plan wrecks are far harder to piece together.

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Give how thick the steel is on the sub, I imagine large enough chunks should be intact to make an educated guess at where the failure was.  It'll just be very hard to get the pieces to the surface to analyze.  If it wreck was on the surface then for sure they could.  Plan wrecks are far harder to piece together.

Apparently the hull was mostly made of carbon fiber with titanium end pieces - from what I can tell carbon fiber has not been used previously for undersea vessels and according to a lawsuit it was not physically tested - just lab projections. Maybe the repeated dives created some cumulative stresses that led to a failure.

The biggest tragedy is how much US taxpayer money was spent by the Coast Guard over this debacle.

Let those rich idiots rot at the bottom of the ocean as far as I’m concerned. If you want to fuck around and find out over nonsense, be my guest, but just know that nobody is going to come rescue you.

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Feel bad for the kid (19). Not so much for the other folks.

I thought so too until a co-worker said “as the son of a billionaire, he probably lived a much more privileged and experienced life than other 19 yr olds”

which is probably right. 

And the waiver said “death” 3 times on the first page or something, so like its not like they weren’t warned. 

55 minutes ago, Link said:

The cause is rich people taking advantage of lax regulations to go tour the century-old mass grave of more rich people from another ill-advised watercraft.

Actually the poorer passengers on the Titanic suffered a much higher casualty rate than the higher class passengers.  They were locked into certain areas of the ship.  White Star Lines had their (surviving) employees testify that the gates had been opened - when the wreck was disovered the gates that were visible were locked.  There were ways out that the crew members knew about - but you needed to speak English to find that out.  Most of the lower class passengers couldn't speak English - so by the time they got out most of the lifeboats were gone. (The percentage of survivors who spoke English was very high.)

download(26).jpeg.351622348d24b84a83500c4efa9080be.jpeg

Edited by Tabonga

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Actually the poorer passengers on the Titanic suffered a much higher casualty rate than the higher class passengers. 

Oh naturally. And that isn't necessarily an accident. I was being flip, but this (current) incident wouldn't be a thing if the people of means involved had had a bit of intelligence that a custom sub of the construction you described and that was operated by a video game controller traveling to the depths of the ocean warrants some skepticism. 

Just now, Link said:

Oh naturally. And that isn't necessarily an accident. I was being flip, but this (current) incident wouldn't be a thing if the people of means involved had had a bit of intelligence that a custom sub of the construction you described and that was operated by a video game controller traveling to the depths of the ocean warrants some skepticism. 

People of any status/condition  (wealth, education, ethnic group, political leanings, etc.) can be dumber than boxes of rocks.  And most people can be easily lulled with something that looks whiz bang and that they therefore assume should be safe.  

• Agree 1

Some of the FAQs are unreal.

Is there a toilet in the Titan submersible?  

Yes. Titan is the only deep diving sub with a toilet. It is a custom-built unit similar to a camping toilet that is mounted in the forward dome and offers the best seat in the house. When we need to use the “potty” we hang a privacy curtain and turn up the music. It’s a great system but we do recommend a low residue diet the day before going on a dive.  

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Some of the FAQs are unreal.

Is there a toilet in the Titan submersible?  

Yes. Titan is the only deep diving sub with a toilet. It is a custom-built unit similar to a camping toilet that is mounted in the forward dome and offers the best seat in the house. When we need to use the “potty” we hang a privacy curtain and turn up the music. It’s a great system but we do recommend a low residue diet the day before going on a dive.  

Theres no fart fan either. Just basting in the hot smell

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

We were joking about that today. 

At least drop 170$ on an xbox elite or something. The cabin light was from camping world lol

He sprang for the joy-stick extensions though. 

To your previous quote, yeah he probably did live an extremely privileged life, but that to me is the irony... He was 19 and had life made in the shade (at least financially) and this is how he dies at such a young age. Tragic. 

I bet those who have made a round trip on this craft are counting their blessings tonight. 

Administrator · Posted

There are a lot of feelings about this expressed everywhere, and most of them (that I've seen) are very "meh, who cares" or "meh, they deserved it."

I understand where those sentiments come from, and I am absolutely not saying that this tragedy is worse than others, or that it should be as popular as it is when there are so many other real issues going on, but at the core, it's still a tragedy nonetheless.  I don't care how amazing that 19yo's life was, it is tragic that his life was cut short so early, robbing him of his future. 

I feel especially for the young 19yo, and then for the families and friends of these people.  Maybe they made some dangerous choices and paid the ultimate price, but I still think it's a bit harsh to say they "deserved" death or "good riddance" as some have expressed.  Expressing some compassion for their families, doesn't mean that I have any less empathy for other people who are in much worse situations, for reasons they had much less control over - whereas this situation could have been avoided at many points in time.

Moreso than the passengers, I think the CEO and company have a lot of blame in this, and clearly made some very bad decisions that put people's lives in danger.  Maybe the passengers should have seen the warning signs or made different choices, but the company sold a trip and seemingly did not take appropriate precautions, especially for something so dangerous.  I'm sure that in the coming weeks / months, even more will come out about safety signs that were disregarded.

The entire situation is a really really strange one.  I had no idea there were even tourist trips being *made* to the Titanic - I didn't know it was a thing until this story broke.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, spacepup said:

There are a lot of feelings about this expressed everywhere, and most of them (that I've seen) are very "meh, who cares" or "meh, they deserved it."

I understand where those sentiments come from, and I am absolutely not saying that this tragedy is worse than others, or that it should be as popular as it is when there are so many other real issues going on, but at the core, it's still a tragedy nonetheless.  I don't care how amazing that 19yo's life was, it is tragic that his life was cut short so early, robbing him of his future. 

I feel especially for the young 19yo, and then for the families and friends of these people.  Maybe they made some dangerous choices and paid the ultimate price, but I still think it's a bit harsh to say they "deserved" death or "good riddance" as some have expressed.  Expressing some compassion for their families, doesn't mean that I have any less empathy for other people who are in much worse situations, for reasons they had much less control over - whereas this situation could have been avoided at many points in time.

Moreso than the passengers, I think the CEO and company have a lot of blame in this, and clearly made some very bad decisions that put people's lives in danger.  Maybe the passengers should have seen the warning signs or made different choices, but the company sold a trip and seemingly did not take appropriate precautions, especially for something so dangerous.  I'm sure that in the coming weeks / months, even more will come out about safety signs that were disregarded.

The entire situation is a really really strange one.  I had no idea there were even tourist trips being *made* to the Titanic - I didn't know it was a thing until this story broke.  

I agree with this sentiment. As an aside, I personally have gained a huge thirst for adventure over the past year. If I could do something like this with meer pocket money, I would consider it. I guess I'll be sticking to mountain tops instead of ocean depths to satisfy my urges to see things.

• Like 1

Lets all remember the 200 people that died on that refugee boat in greece, because people care way less about that than five rich people spending $1 million to risk their lives.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/06/18/asia/pakistan-deaths-migrant-boat-disaster-greece-intl-hnk/index.html

edit: 300 pakistani nationals

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I think that is important to remember and discuss as well, absolutely.  As I said, I don't have *more* sympathy for the people involved in the sub incident.  I think both are tragedies.  The refugee boat situation even more so.  I still don't think anyone 'deserved' to die.

• Like 1

I’m not happy that people died but I am absolutely annoyed at the dichotomy between how this was reacted to vs. other tragedies.

And I’m also annoyed at these headlines chastising people for not caring enough, when in the past we’ve had the same amounts of people online mocking tragedies that affected marginalized groups and we didn’t see one damn article calling people out for it or saying that people need to keep their thoughts to themselves. The people writing these articles now absolutely saw those back then too. It’s just really telling.

IMG_6074.jpeg