IGNORED

what was your favorite cereal as a kid in the 80s 90s etc

Nes Freak

time to strike a nostalgia nerve.

so back in the 80s i know there were alot of fly by knight themed cereals.  i personally didnt get to experience these cause at the time my mother was a health nut and by the time i was born themed cereal had kinda  died down  so i got to eat only stuff with out junk or minimal junk.

but im intrested in what your experience was like eating those cool themed cereals of the time like TMNT batman nintendo etc. did you eat them cause of the theme and didnt care how crappy it tasted or did they actually taste good?  or maybe a cereal your mother wouldnt let you try lol.

Administrator · Posted

Cinnamon Life.

The themed cereals all tasted like fruity garbage.   We'd get a box and then struggle to finish it.

Fun fact- there were 4 kids in our house, so we had anywhere from 10-12 different boxes of cereal at a time for variety.  My (single) uncle just couldn't wrap his head around why we had so many.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

My favorite cereal when I was growing up was Honey Bunches of Oats.  I was also the weirdo who really liked Grape Nuts.

I also Liked Rice Krispies and for some reason really enjoyed the funny popping noise the cereal made.

I liked Peanut Butter Crunch but it would always tear up my mouth - I never liked super soggy cereal which would soften it a bit.

I liked Cocoa Pebbles - the cereal was decent and then I'd drink the remainder of the bowl kinda like chocolate milk.

I also really liked Raisin Bran!  

Edit: Keep thinking of more hah.  I liked Chex decently enough, but what I really liked was making the 'Muddy buddies' snack that was a recipe on the box.

---
I haven't really had any of these in decades - as I got older, I realized most of them are full of awful ingredients and a bunch of corn syrup and added sugar.  But as a kid, I definitely liked the above, especially Honey Bunches of Oats.

My mom wouldn't even buy sweet cereals, never mind licensed ones. We had strictly Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and Raisin Bran. I didn't like the latter. When I was in high school a new cereal came out called Basic 4 and that was added to the cabinet. I liked to mix the ones I liked. 

Now I won't get any of those because even the "healthy" ones have sugar in them. I do get a generic Cheerios-style that doesn't have it. I wish I could find more. I like puffed rice, corn flakes, Chex, Special K... but only keep toasted oats around.

As for sugar cereals - I would have them at friends' houses or camping - Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes, Corn Pops, Lucky Charms

Administrator · Posted

Most of the standard cereals at the store, even the ones advertised as 'healthy' are definitely not so much and/or loaded with sugars and weird stuff.  However, there are a few that I like. 

For example, I eat this one every now and then:

alpen-no-sugar-updated-right.png

Another one I like ok is Ezekiel:

258-Almond-Crunchy-Cereals-2020-Updated_

^ ingredients:
Organic Sprouted Wheat, Organic Sliced Almonds, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Filtered Water, Sea Salt, Organic Rosemary Extract.

And Finally, Bob's Red Mill Muesli:

4b710108-0690-4821-becf-566e8a1859b9.9c6

Ingredients: Whole Grain Wheat, Dates, Sunflower Seeds, Raisins, Whole Grain Rye, Barley, Whole Grain Oats, Almonds, Flaxseed, Walnuts.  No sodium and no added sugar.

I also like a just a good simple steel-cut oats and add my own stuff, whatever I want.

• Like 1

For straight-nostalgia of a cereal that doesn't exist any more, I seem to recall that Iliked Nerds cereal as a kid.  I guess if I could get a box on that, I'd like to try it again, but fresh of course.

I also grew out of cereal as a kid.  I liked it but I always had to finish the bowl and since cereal is only good and crunchy for about 30 seconds, I never wanted to finish.  When I got older (High School aged) I started making bowls of cereal and having a large glass of milk on the side, which is still how  eat it.

If I do eat cereal, there are a few I liked as a kid that I still like today. Shredded Mini Wheats (this was my favorite as a kid), Apple Jacks, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Raison Bran.  Oh, and Fruity Pebbles.  I've not eaten them in years (as cereal) but they are still amazing as pseudo-Rice Crispy Treats.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I know @Gloves favorite is decade old stale cereal.

As a kid my favorite were Coco Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Trix.  

I think if I recall it's "Canadian" Fruity Pebbles, which all Canadians swear is 1,000x better than ours.  Being that Fruity Pebbles are some of the sugariest and possibly most universally loved cereal in the US, I find that hard to believe (but I'd be willing to be proven wrong.)

• Like 1

No wait... I might be wrong. Something over there has the same name but is "far superior" in their opinion.  It might not be Fruity Pebbles.

I know "Smarties" are vastly different and that's a change, from what I've seen, I can get behind because I don't like eating chalk.  Blech.  But I feel the same is true for a cereal too, but I could be wrong and mixing up my memories.

Administrator · Posted
56 minutes ago, RH said:

No wait... I might be wrong. Something over there has the same name but is "far superior" in their opinion.  It might not be Fruity Pebbles.

I know "Smarties" are vastly different and that's a change, from what I've seen, I can get behind because I don't like eating chalk.  Blech.  But I feel the same is true for a cereal too, but I could be wrong and mixing up my memories.

Fruity and cocoa pebbles over here in the 90s was superior to your version. Same flavour, but instead of puffed rice (ew, gross!) we had whole wheat and corn flour, similar to Corn Pops. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Dude I loved both of them!

you mix you some kix and Rice Krispies together! I swear 🙋🏻‍♂️

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always felt like the kids that liked those cereals were the ones who had mothers who tried to get their kids to eat healthier but were choosing those their battles by a "compromise" like this, rather than giving you full sugar or something like Special K or Total.  As a kid who was able to pick out whatever cereal he wanted, I'd had Kix before because I'd seen the commercials and one box was all it took for me to know it was no Cookie Crisp!

But if I had to eat Kix/Life vs. Grape Nuts or Total, I'd take the Kix every time.

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Fruity and cocoa pebbles over here in the 90s was superior to your version. Same flavour, but instead of puffed rice (ew, gross!) we had whole wheat and corn flour, similar to Corn Pops. 

You might win this.  Maybe.  Corn Pops are good, and tasting like Fruity Pebbles is something I can't imagine but sounds good.

I do like Rice-based cereals when they are sweet (cough, like in a marshmellow treat square) but yeah, this does sound intriguing.

Can you still get it in Canada, in limited quantity or specialty stores?

Administrator · Posted
Just now, RH said:

Can you still get it in Canada, in limited quantity or specialty stores?

Unfortunately no, they sell your garbage pebbles here now. They just make me depressed. 

I've considered making my own; if you can get the flavor and just not do puffed rice, it should be similar enough:

https://saucestache.com/diy-fruity-pebbles-recipe/

• Thanks 1

As a kid I liked Honey nut Cheerios the best.. I was somewhat limited by what my parents would be willing to buy... kid marketed sugary cerals like Lucky Charms, Cookie Crisp and Cap'n Crunch were generally off limits (except in rare exceptions).

I do remember I had these novelty cereals (once each):

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngc_283_prince_thieves_cereal_front.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1