IGNORED

what was your favorite cereal as a kid in the 80s 90s etc

Nes Freak

Administrator · Posted

Hey, you like what you like.  You do you.

I will always prefer the less-processed version, regardless of the item.  (Ironic in a thread about cereals, which are highly processed globs of sugar and other stuff, but that's ok hah)

6 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Have any of you tried a grilled PB&J?  I tried one at a restaurant a few months ago and.... omg, game changer!  It was amazing

"Grilled" like a grilled cheese in a frying pan?  Or literally on a gas or charcoal grill?

Administrator · Posted

I suppose either would work, but I meant grilled like grilled cheese on a pan.  I guess it sorta worked like the toaster strudel concept, but omg it was delicious.  The peanut butter had a softer consistency and combined with the jam was nice and warm and smooth, and it was sooooooooooooooo good!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Hey, you like what you like.  You do you.

I will always prefer the less-processed version, regardless of the item.  (Ironic in a thread about cereals, which are highly processed globs of sugar and other stuff, but that's ok hah)

I’m not understanding what you’re talking about though. What kind of pb&j are you referring to when you say “less processed”like you’re jaring your own jam from your garden? 

Edited by docile tapeworm

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I’m not understanding what you’re talking about though. What kind of pb&j are you referring to when you say “less processed”like you’re jaring your own jam from your garden? 

To legitimately answer your question - there are multiple layers and levels of processing.  Obviously the individual products you buy at the store are processed - containers of peanut butter, jelly, loaves of bread.  But then another product that combines multiple other products together is typically even *more* processed - going through a more complex manufacturing, preservative, and distribution process.  

These two examples may be similar enough that it doesn't make a huge difference, but the loaf of bread you get at the store has a freshness date that actually isn't too far off - it is more 'fresh' and slightly more natural than whatever bread concoction is made for a package like the uncrustable sandwich.  

Almost all of us use processed foods in our daily lives and that doesn't make anyone bad - but I know that I've tried to reduce this amount as much as possible, and whether it's in my head or not, I enjoy the taste of more fresh food, and also feel it is better for me.

Then, within the individual product categories, there are absolutely more natural versions of things like, say, peanut butter.  I tend to like the ones that have more natural ingredients and less random chemicals and preservatives just to make things sit in shelves longer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RH said:
33 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I thought for the longest time I hated spinach, because my only exposure as a kid, was nasty gloppy wet spinach from a can.  

Then I found out "fresh spinach" is a thing and I absolutely love it hah

We're definitely getting on a tangent, but my entire life, I've loved just about every fresh uncooked vegetable I've been given.  I LOVED salad too.  But when you cook carrots or spinach, I'm out.  I do like some cooked vegetables (corn, for instance, and stewed tomatoes or in a sauce is great) but that's my crunchy side--vegetables are meant to be eaten raw man... eat them raw and packed full of life!

A good trick for dealing with the canned stuff is: mix it into some ground chicken along with onion, garlic, bread crumbs and an egg.  Make meatballs.  Fry 'em up.  Make a basic white sauce.  Add white wine to white sauce.  Top meatballs and serve over rice or noodles.  Great way to change up your spinach game!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spacepup said:

People came here for cereals!

That's right, I totally forgot there for a minute!

I picked up a box of Applejacks recently and ate breakfast cereal for the first time in many years.  It didn't taste like apples anymore, just sugar.  And the pieces were smaller too.

Also, pop-tarts were rubbish.  Nothing like the taste/feeling of dry densely compacted cardboard in your mouth first thing in the morning.  Mmmmm!

Administrator · Posted
Just now, PII said:

Also, pop-tarts were rubbish.  Nothing like the taste/feeling of dry densely compacted cardboard in your mouth first thing in the morning.  Mmmmm!

The people spoketh, and the Toaster Strudel was born!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Have any of you tried a grilled PB&J?  I tried one at a restaurant a few months ago and.... omg, game changer!  It was amazing

I have thought about that for years, but never gotten around to making one. Dammit, I just went to the store a couple hours ago. Maybe I will get jelly next time and finally try this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

Time to gross out a lot of people....

A hamburger topped with bananas, peanut butter, and grape jelly.  There is a pub that makes this and it's fucking amazing!!  

We have a gastropub that's about 30 minutes from us that offers a burger like this (but with bacon too, of course.)  Called The Elvis Burger for obvious reasons.  That is also a burger my wife often gets.

One more side not about that and my son.  Before we found out about his allergy, my wife though PB was good, but she didn't love/obsess over it.  It wasn't until it was practically banned from the that she became the aficionado that she is.  They heart wants what it can't have.

51 minutes ago, PII said:

That's right, I totally forgot there for a minute!

I picked up a box of Applejacks recently and ate breakfast cereal for the first time in many years.  It didn't taste like apples anymore, just sugar.  And the pieces were smaller too.

From what I  recall an "Apple Jack" is more like a pocket apple pie, which is what I think the cereal was named after.  When we were kids the commercials doubled down on the whole "why is it called apple jacks if it doesn't taste like apples?"  The reason is because it does have a semi-fruity taste (that is apple like) with a dash of cinnamon... like an actual Apple Jack.

I haven't had Apple Jacks in probably 4-5 years, and I probably last got them at a continental breakfast in a hotel.  They were still alright.  It's less of a breakfast meal to me, though, and more of an item I'd want to grab a box of and snack on while watching a movie.

(Man, I can eat like real trash.)

Alright yo, I did it @spacepup

I went to another store for something else and I saw jelly there and seized on it. 

I also saw these chips, which Is what we usually got when I was a kid and I never see this brand around here.

IMG_0735.jpeg.cea0c571c7037a49b1c34cee2240319c.jpeg

Grape jelly 👍 and natural peanut butter (no sugar, molasses, or stabilizers) I like it

IMG_0734.jpeg.37df8924a39cf43e2b83b888e71beaa1.jpeg

In my cast iron pan

IMG_0736.jpeg.6e67721a7047cfa675e45a5b2f72c9d9.jpeg

With a glass of oat milk, which I don't usually do, but if I'm doing PBJ special, why not take it like back in the day.

IMG_0737.jpeg.1fbd0e3f719507a9948b6a6627177b61.jpeg

I just so happen to have what I call "gas station bread" right now which is a rarity, but it was free. In the same spirit as the milk and the chips, I used that. It was good, but next time I will use the sourdough I typically get. With the amount of pb & j I put in there, it was sort of falling apart at the end. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Administrator · Posted

Yay!!! Awesome.  I hope you liked it!  

Sometimes I just want one cold, but every now and then, this changes it up.  I never thought of Sourdough, I bet that would hold up really well.  

I'm super excited you tried it ha!

• Like 1

geez... i didnt expect people to get this in to this topic  lol

all i has as a kid was cheerios  and that was it.  all though i do remember having quakers cinnamon oat meal  that was around the time they were having a special for 24 box tops  to get a sonic watch.  i still have that watch too lol

Edited by Nes Freak
  • Like 1