IGNORED

what was your favorite cereal as a kid in the 80s 90s etc

Nes Freak

Social Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Unfortunately no, they sell your garbage pebbles here now. They just make me depressed. 

I've considered making my own; if you can get the flavor and just not do puffed rice, it should be similar enough:

https://saucestache.com/diy-fruity-pebbles-recipe/

Have you tried these? 

81PXzsfmPfL._SL1500_.jpg

81yb5CGACBL._SL1500_.jpg

@RH I had my pick of the litter down the cereal isle! And damn it by trail and error I came to the conclusion life WAS…..look it wasn’t good ok BUT it wasn’t bad. Kix I had at grandmas and fell in love with it.

I had my fair share of the sugar blasted be. lucky charms, trixs l, fruity pebbbles had got to be the worst cereal of all times. My 7 year olds eyes lit up the first time she pulled it off the shelf…..that box was 99% full when I tossed it.

nah. Honey combs and golden Brahms for me. Rice Krispies and kix. 

that being said I’m the guy who eats one Twix and saves the other for later. “Too rich” I say as I put it in the fridge. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RH I had my pick of the litter down the cereal isle! And damn it by trail and error I came to the conclusion life WAS…..look it wasn’t good ok BUT it wasn’t bad. Kix I had at grandmas and fell in love with it.

I had my fair share of the sugar blasted be. lucky charms, trixs l, fruity pebbbles had got to be the worst cereal of all times. My 7 year olds eyes lit up the first time she pulled it off the shelf…..that box was 99% full when I tossed it.

nah. Honey combs and golden Brahms for me. Rice Krispies and kix. 

that being said I’m the guy who eats one Twix and saves the other for later. “Too rich” I say as I put it in the fridge. 

Lol, wow.  Ok.  I don't know because I'm honestly much more of a savory guy but with cereal, at least as a kid, there was no better way of starting the day than with a big, ole sugar rush with the most sugar-packed cereal I could find.  Haha.

Other than Glove, who has a good reason, I don't think I ever heard of a kid who didn't like Fruity Pebbles except for that one kid who's mother raised him on sticks and leaves and "sweetened" there food on birthdays with carrots.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, RH said:

Other than Glove, who has a good reason, I don't think I ever heard of a kid who didn't like Fruity Pebbles except for that one kid who's mother raised him on sticks and leaves and "sweetened" there food on birthdays with carrots.

Dude that kids mom worked at the health food store “the good food conspiracy”. And he was cool as fuck! 

dude fruity pebbles can kiss it! Then and now!

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Dude that kids mom worked at the health food store “the good food conspiracy”. And he was cool as fuck! 

dude fruity pebbles can kiss it! Then and now!

Haha, "that kid" for me was no doubt cool.  100% was the epitome of a hippy guy who everyone loved. However, nobody was interested in trying his food/snacks.  That was pretty consistent too. 😂

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

@Gloves no wonder you liked them so much as a kid - the literal first and primary ingredient is sugar.  

IMG_20230621_113921.jpg.d351edbd8f937b2b

US version appears to be rice, then sugar.

These sugar snacks that are disguised as "foods" eek

I eat it as a tasty treat, not a source of health! 

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Gloves said:

I eat it as a tasty treat, not a source of health! 

Nothing wrong with that of course.  It just makes sense why you would like it better than the US version, especially when younger.

I ate a bunch of sugary cereals as kid with the rest of 'em - and there's somewhat a sense of nostalgia.  But I'm also a bit resentful of the fact that all of us as kids were basically manipulated into consuming massive amounts of sugar as kids, that has led to mass addiction and strange relationships with food later on hahaa.  

Not just cereal's fault of course.  🙂

• Agree 1

Lol, related to nostalgia and kid food, here's a hot take--peanut butter is gross.  Especially PB&J sandwiches.

As a kid, I loved Field Day but I always hated lunch cause it was a bag with an apple and a PB&J.  Yuuuuuck.  I love apples, but that's not enough to sustain a kid who's ran around all day.  I'd be starving, I'd often take a bite, then trash the thing.

• Wow! 1
  • Disagree 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

Lol, related to nostalgia and kid food, here's a hot take--peanut butter is gross.  Especially PB&J sandwiches.

As a kid, I loved Field Day but I always hated lunch cause it was a bag with an apple and a PB&J.  Yuuuuuck.  I love apples, but that's not enough to sustain a kid who's ran around all day.  I'd be starving, I'd often take a bite, then trash the thing.

To be fair, you probably had really low quality PB&J.  I mean, I did too as a kid.  Or you may just not like the taste of peanut butter, and that's ok.

I make my own 'PB&J' sometimes, with a really good almond or nut butter (or sometimes peanut butter, occasionally), and a nice 'real' jam that isn't a fake sugar jelly, and it's actually quite good.  I'll usually add some toasted nuts, cocoa nibs, or something else to it, and it's actually quite tasty.  Every now and then, I just want a very very simple meal, and my modified PB&J really hits the spot!

As I got older, I found out so many different foods actually weren't as terrible as I thought, because my exposure to them as a child, was like the worst possible version of it.  Mass-produced field-day lunch baggies with soggy PB&J, is like the worst representation of a good PB&J.  

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

To be fair, you probably had really low quality PB&J.  I mean, I did too as a kid.  Or you may just not like the taste of peanut butter, and that's ok.

I make my own 'PB&J' sometimes, with a really good almond or nut butter (or sometimes peanut butter, occasionally), and a nice 'real' jam that isn't a fake sugar jelly, and it's actually quite good.  I'll usually add some toasted nuts, cocoa nibs, or something else to it, and it's actually quite tasty.  Every now and then, I just want a very very simple meal, and my modified PB&J really hits the spot!

Naah, man.  I know govment school food is typically one step above prison food, but my Mom liked it as did my siblings.  She'd make them PB&Js but not me.

I've also had "premium" nut butters from places like whole foods that grind it at the store.  I don't like it.  The really irony is I do enjoy candy and foods with whole peanuts in it, and I'm a true Southern/SC boy and I love boiled peanuts, but something different about crushed peanuts.  It's different and it's probably on the top 5 list of foods I don't like.

I admit it's wierd.