IGNORED

what was your favorite cereal as a kid in the 80s 90s etc

Nes Freak

Social Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, RH said:

Lol, related to nostalgia and kid food, here's a hot take--peanut butter is gross.  Especially PB&J sandwiches.

As a kid, I loved Field Day but I always hated lunch cause it was a bag with an apple and a PB&J.  Yuuuuuck.  I love apples, but that's not enough to sustain a kid who's ran around all day.  I'd be starving, I'd often take a bite, then trash the thing.

A few weeks ago a co-worker did a challenge of eating various peanut butter lunches because he didn't want to go grocery shopping till next week.  Th worst thing he made in my opinion was PB & pickles sandwich.  Someone recommended him to do that, that wasn't something he invented.

Natural (no sugar added) peanut butter is fucking heavenly when you find the brand you like.  Skippy creamy natural PB is this house hold staple.

Administrator · Posted

Not weird really, just a preference.  It's fine if you just don't like nut butters.  I happen to love them.

The general statement about bad food as kids absolutely applies.  I thought for the longest time I hated spinach, because my only exposure as a kid, was nasty gloppy wet spinach from a can.  

Then I found out "fresh spinach" is a thing and I absolutely love it hah

Social Team · Posted
1 minute ago, spacepup said:

Not weird really, just a preference.  It's fine if you just don't like nut butters.  I happen to love them.

The general statement about bad food as kids absolutely applies.  I thought for the longest time I hated spinach, because my only exposure as a kid, was nasty gloppy wet spinach from a can.  

Ditto, I love eating straight spinach.  Like I can snack on the leaves like a freaking cow.  The horrid shit that came from a can.....I don't know what the hell that is but it sure a shit isn't spinach.

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

We're definitely getting on a tangent, but my entire life, I've loved just about every fresh uncooked vegetable I've been given.  I LOVED salad too.  But when you cook carrots or spinach, I'm out.  I do like some cooked vegetables (corn, for instance, and stewed tomatoes or in a sauce is great) but that's my crunchy side--vegetables are meant to be eaten raw man... eat them raw and packed full of life!

1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

Ditto, I love eating straight spinach.  Like I can snack on the leaves like a freaking cow.  The horrid shit that came from a can.....I don't know what the hell that is but it sure a shit isn't spinach.

I love that can spinach. What’s that other stuff called shukatashe? Oh ya let’s gooooooooooo!!!

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

We're definitely getting on a tangent, but my entire life, I've loved just about every fresh uncooked vegetable I've been given.  I LOVED salad too.  But when you cook carrots or spinach, I'm out.  I do like some cooked vegetables (corn, for instance, and stewed tomatoes or in a sauce is great) but that's my crunchy side--vegetables are meant to be eaten raw man... eat them raw and packed full of life!

I love them both ways.  Cooked spinach is fine too.  Just not the old globby stuff from the can hah

Administrator · Posted

uncrustables.... eeek haha.  It's cool if you like them, but I'll just say this.  If someone visits and has never heard of PB&J before and wants to try one to know what PB&J is about - definitely don't hand them an uncrustable haha.

• Wow! 1

10 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Th worst thing he made in my opinion was PB & pickles sandwich.  Someone recommended him to do that, that wasn't something he invented.

I'm pretty sure that one was either invented by a pregnant woman or Elvis.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Social Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RH dude c’mon man your obviously trolling with the pb&j nonsense.

me at work right now (you trow this bad boy in the toaster…. I dare you!). 

IMG_5370.jpeg

I made the mistake once of buying frozen pre-made Pea B&J sandwiches.  @RH have you tried a Pea B&J sandwich?  It's made with peas instead of peanuts.  Damn young kids and their deathly food allergies.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

Somewhat close to back on topic (hey, it's sorta breakfast at least heh) -- I don't eat them now (see my earlier diatribe about added sugars), BUT, I will totally admit, that as a kid I thought the Toaster Strudel was like the most magical breakfast item that existed.  Warmed up in the toaster, mmmmmmmm.  It was like a warm delicious piece of pie for breakfast in a super convenient format. 

It might have helped that I considered it like an expensive 'luxury' item - something we didn't get often.  Mostly we got cheap bulk cereals as we didn't have a lot of money.  But every so often, every now and then, somehow a magical fairy would deliver toaster strudels to our house and I will totally admit to thoroughly enjoying them as a kid, ha!

00018000426980_C1C1_s197_bbfd3799-d6c1-4

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

My wife loves peanut butter, but my son is deadly allergic too it (we've been to the hospital twice in his life, so it's not plausible--it's legit for him.)

Anyway, some times the solution to a problem is to double-down in the wrong direction.  If she picks up a can of peanut butter (which she'll do the kids go to their grandparents for a week in the summer) I"ll put some on a pickle and see what that's like.  I admitted to liking savory food, so maybe the combo will be odd enough to be enjoyable.

That said, there are only two times I've liked PB.  Once, in Kindergarten we made "ants on a log".  I liked it that day, but never again.  It was weird.  Second, I can tear up an old school Butterfinger.  I don't know what makes it different (other than being 90% sugar) but it seems to kill the peanut butter essence that I taste in anything with PB in it.  I won't even eat a peanut butter cookie.

@spacepup whhhaattt?! Uncrestables are the big lighter of pb&j! Dude brah when I make my pb&j at home I put country crock on it too. Damn that is the shit! Still uncrustables are a fine representation of the classic sandwich. You’re kidding yourself if you say it gets more involved than what’s presented via uncrustable. It’s like “gourmet pb&j sir”

2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I made the mistake once of buying frozen pre-made Pea B&J sandwiches.  @RH have you tried a Pea B&J sandwich?  It's made with peas instead of peanuts.  Damn young kids and their deathly food allergies.

Yeah, who know what these allergies are about because when we were kids, those type of allergies were less than 1 in 1,000 kids.  I even recall seeing on Oprah as a kid in High School a kid who was allergic to peanuts and we were all shocked, as it was sort of an expose.  They might have even had a girl on their, IIRC, who was apparently allergic to water. Imagine to two lump together.

Today, we know multiple kids with deadly allergies and a few of them have peanut allergies, and we have theories but no clue why.  Probably micro-plastics, if I had to venture a guess.

Aaaaanyway, we tend to keep almond butter around when we need it.  Peanuts aren't real nuts, so my kid can eat all of those, so we're fine with that.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, docile tapeworm said:

@spacepup whhhaattt?! Uncrestables are the big lighter of pb&j! Dude brah when I make my pb&j at home I put country crock on it too. Damn that is the shit! Still uncrustables are a fine representation of the classic sandwich. You’re kidding yourself if you say it gets more involved than what’s presented via uncrustable. It’s like “gourmet pb&j sir”

Hey, it's cool if you like them, not knocking *you*  

But the beauty of PB&J is its simplicity.  You can throw one together with your own fresh ingredients in no time.  The highly processed and mass-produced extra-sugar version just isn't really necessary.  A simple classic homemade PB&J is always going to be better, imo.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Somewhat close to back on topic (hey, it's sorta breakfast at least heh) -- I don't eat them now (see my earlier diatribe about added sugars), BUT, I will totally admit, that as a kid I thought the Toaster Strudel was like the most magical breakfast item that existed.  Warmed up in the toaster, mmmmmmmm.  It was like a warm delicious piece of pie for breakfast in a super convenient format. 

It might have helped that I considered it like an expensive 'luxury' item - something we didn't get often.  Mostly we got cheap bulk cereals as we didn't have a lot of money.  But every so often, every now and then, somehow a magical fairy would deliver toaster strudels to our house and I will totally admit to thoroughly enjoying them as a kid, ha!

00018000426980_C1C1_s197_bbfd3799-d6c1-4

Yeah, that became my high school breakfast.  I use to be a pop tart guy, which we all agree you rarely, if ever, stuck in the toaster.

Then the magical Toaster Strudel was invented and I never went back.  I still love the idea of a pop tart but every time I try one I just think "this is fine, but I'd rather be eating a Toaster Strudel right now..."

And go full circle in this conversation... I remember these not being bad!

Pop-Tarts Crunch Cereal | MrBreakfast.com

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RH Recees cup! You know you like it! You peanut butter lover you!!!

Im Not No Way GIF

That's my wife's go-to snack when the kids go to her parents for one night.  One night- Reese's Cups.  A week--A WHOLE JAR OF REESES PEANUT BUTTER!

• Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Hey, it's cool if you like them, not knocking *you*  

But the beauty of PB&J is its simplicity.  You can throw one together with your own fresh ingredients in no time.  The highly processed and mass-produced extra-sugar version just isn't really necessary.  A simple classic homemade PB&J is always going to be better, imo.

Are you telling me the jelly, pb and bread they use in an uncrustable is different than the smuckers, Peter Pan and natures own butter bread I use at home? Uncrustable is made by smuckers.